need a hotel room... no credit card!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
    You can't do the debit card thing here in BC. They want your credit card. You can pay with debit, but that's not what they are worried about. The credit card information is important to them because if someone trashes a room, smokes in a room they aren't supposed to or brings in a pet for a non-pet room the hotel "fines" the credit card. Or the one I work with does >.>
    You could get around this by asking to talk to the manager, and telling them you want to pay with cash and that you'll wait for them to check your room for damages before you exit the hotel, Europe-style. They really want your money, so most will try to work with you. Good luck!
    I think we're having a difference in the cards we're speaking of. Debit cards here in the States can be run as credit cards - all hotels should accept them, even in BC. They come with the Visa logo and everything. Check cards or spendings account cards are what I think you might refer to them as. I think what you're calling a debit card we'd call an ATM card here.
    Last edited by Silviar; January 20, 2011, 12:12 PM. Reason: word change

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by Teakany View Post
      thanks guys! Yeah I wasn't sure what BC was like... I remember having to get my mom to rent me a hotel room back when she had a visa because i couldn't pay cash or use my debit... hopefully the travel agent can help me get in contact with a hotel who'll work with me.

a hostal definetly wouldn't work no lol! definetly need a room for my kids to run wild in!
      You can get a private room at a hostel, but they might have limits on kids. Reasonable rates usually, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
        I think we're having a difference in the cards we're speaking of. Debit cards here in the States can be run as credit cards - all hotels should accept them, even in BC. They come with the Visa logo and everything. Check cards or spendings account cards are what I think you might refer to them as. I think what you're calling a debit card we'd call an ATM card here.
        That's the same as in Australia. But they don't have "key cards" or "ATM cards" here. They have debit or credit, and nothing in between, and debit cards can't be used online or as credit cards. It's stupid, but that's how it is. Every time I hand over my debit mastercard they look at me like I'm some kind of freak until I tell them "just run it as credit. Yes, it will work."
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

That's the same as in Australia. But they don't have "key cards" or "ATM cards" here. They have debit or credit, and nothing in between, and debit cards can't be used online or as credit cards. It's stupid, but that's how it is. Every time I hand over my debit mastercard they look at me like I'm some kind of freak until I tell them "just run it as credit. Yes, it will work."
          Ok, I wasn't 100%, so I thought I'd ask. So really, she could have her check/debit card run as credit and it'd be fine? Even if they look at her like a freak. :P

Stupid Canada. >.>

Comment

No, she couldn't Not if it's a Canadian card. If it's Aussie it works though, so I assume American debit would work too. It's so dumb. Canada needs to catch up to the rest of the world!
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

No, she couldn't Not if it's a Canadian card. If it's Aussie it works though, so I assume American debit would work too. It's so dumb. Canada needs to catch up to the rest of the world!
              Ok, gotcha! Man, sorry I was so confused. This is the weird crap I have to think of when travelling overseas. I think of how your bank always freezes your account, and I'm sure you feel the same way.

Comment

ya, canadian hotel's are pretty stupid when it comes to this. Unfortunately... no hotel room if there's no credit card. For security reasons (ex. trashing a room).

Comment

Working...
                X