How old to rent a hotel/motel room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old to rent a hotel/motel room?

My SO and I are 18 and 19 years old, respectively. I would love to book a hotel room for a romantic night for us around Christmas time. How old do you have to be to do so? I heard 21 but also 18. If it helps, we'll be in either New Jersey or Pennsylvania.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
    Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
    Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
    Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
    Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

At least 18, but depends on the hotel. The reason hotels won't rent to younger people is they fear parties, room damage, and noise. Call around to hotels you're interested in to find out their policies. If you tell them it's a romantic break for you and your boyfriend and you're both adults, you might be fine (and don't be embarrassed admitting that -- I worked at a hotel for a few years, and it's no big deal. Plus so many hotels offer romantic get-aways now anyway).

Oh, and whatever you do, don't lie. You'll probably have to show a photo ID and if they see you're younger than they allow they most likely won't let you check in.

Good luck!

Comment

Okay thanks so much!
      I don't party so they don't have to worry about that. I don't feel embarrassed to tell them that; I'm an adult and can do that. Thanks for your advice.
      I actually want to work in a hotel haha.

Comment

Just like Minerva said, Usually it is 18, but if you are unsure call the hotel and ask.

Comment

I wouldn't rely on 18, you really need to call and ask. When I turned 18, I made a reservation with a hotel on a beach. I told them I was 18. When I showed up they told me you had to be 21 or 25 or something. I got my money back and then had to drive around to find a place that accepted 18 year olds (we were all 18). We only found ONE place and it was kind of a shit hole. To give you an idea it was called "The Rusty Pelican". Sounds like a dirty sex move to me.

Anyways, make sure to ask and re-ask so they understand. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies!
            And that name of that hotel is quite odd haha it definitely sounds dirty.

Comment

We tried to rent a hotel room for new years eve last year, but the hotel wouldnt let us because we were under 21, make sure you ask when you make your reservation.

Comment

From my own experiences as long as you're at least 18 and have an ID and a valid credit card to put down, whether you're paying that way or not, just so they have some security if you use the mini bar or there are any damages to the room. But I definitely agree with the call ahead you can never be too careful

Notes:
                Met: 8.17.09
                Started Dating: 8.20.09
                First Met: 10.2.10
                Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Thank you guys very much! I'm nervous about it but I think it'd be a really good thing for me and my SO to get away for the night.

Comment

I'm 29, but still, I didn't know that hotels could prohibited renting a room by age above 18...

Comment

I hate to sound like an ageist, but I also feel that it's down to the quality of the motel. For example, at 18, I could easily get a room at a cheap motel but if I wanted to rent a room in the city, for example, or in one of our nicer hotels on the beach here, I have to be 21. That being said, I also remember looking into some B&B's that would have allowed me to rent a room at 18 so it really depends. My opinion is if you have a hotel in mind, look at the website for it, see if it says anything there, e-mail and/or call before making a reservation. Better to be safe than sorry.
                      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                      Met online: February 2009
                      Feelings confessed: December 2010
                      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                      to be continued...

Comment

That's what I was thinking. I don't want to be in a rundown place where you can't even lie down for fear of bugs or something. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Comment

Working...
                        X