X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting him for the first time or wait?

Hi everyone,

I am mailing/ skyping with a long distance friend for 2 years now. He lives in the USA and I live in Europe. We both have to figure out if we like eachother that much that we really want to commit to eachother and take the relationship a step further.

Now last week he told me he was going to be in Europe next week for his work. He asked me if I wanted to see him for one day! ( because the other days he has to go to another place for a training) He wants to meet in a big city and that city is one hour flight away from where I live, its in another country in Europe then where I live.

I aksed him if we could make plan to see eachother when we both have holidays so we can have more time and see eachother a couple of days, it would be much more relaxt. I feel guilty for not wanting to fly to him for one day, but its just stresses me out to much also because we have never seen eachother in real live, only on skype. What would you guys/girls do if you where in this situation? Would you fly to see eachother for one day? and it's not cheap to go there for just to see eachother one afternoon and then fly back. For me its too short, to expensive and to stressfull, cause the next day I have a busy day. I prefer another time when we both have more time.

If it were me, wild horses would not stop me getting on that plane!

I know it's expensive, but so is flying to the states and that takes a lot more organising. Obviously no one can make the decision but you. But, think of this way. Will you regret not doing it? Sometimes you just have a take a leap of faith. Yes it's going to be stressful for you but it will be for him too.

I say go for it, at least then you will have an idea of whether you guys click in person or not. And if you do, it's a great incentive to get a longer visit planned! It's a win win situation as far as I can see.

Comment

I would go see him after 2 years of getting to know one another....I would'nt care if it were just a hour with him at least y'all would have met and gotten the very first visit out of the way. GO! I would. Just say what the heck and go see him cause you dont want to regret not seeing him while he is that close to where you are& who knows when your schedules will EVER MATCH UP to where it's perfect for you both to see eachother. If I have the finances and the time, I would def. go meet him & see what he is about esp. After 2 years.
      CLOSED THE DISTANCE FINALLY ON MAY 6, 2017

Comment

Welcome to LFAD
        Hmm....two years in...first visit of only one day...two plane flights...you're both adults...someone has to make the first move...you have a lot to gain from going...step outside your computer screen...you might be pleasantly surprised! Go for it!
        Last edited by Elizabeth123; January 10, 2016, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Yes I would go, 1 day would be hard but I wouldn't be able to not go. I'd want longer time too but one day is better than no days.
          Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
          All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

If you trust him and want to get an idea of how you guys get on in person, go for it. You could make it a sort of adventure instead of just looking at it as going on a plane to meet someone. Book a hotel, plan a fun shopping trip with him, just plan a fun day out and enjoy it. In the worst case scenario that you guys don't click completely you still got to have a fun out of your routine activity.
            my girls <3

Josie (SO)
            Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
            Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
            Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
            Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
            Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
            Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
            Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
            All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Why not! I say got for it. You've known him for a long time!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
              Married April 18th, 2015!!
              Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Working...
              X