Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you get a pet after closing the distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
    I have to say that it's tough getting a pet before closing the distance. I get to see our fuzzy nightmare on webcam, but I see her bonding with him and growing up and I get to miss all that... I hope she recognizes me when I visit in 3 days.
    I figure that will be, but I also look at it as the beginning of creating the family and the life we want together. I also hate that he is all alone in the apartment when I am not there now that he lost his cat. We won't be doing it till January when I come back to NL.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

we havent closed the distance yet, but we are going to soon in december or january. We have already talked about getting two dogs, we are both dog lovers, we are going to get a labrador and a beagle, I have already decided our lab will be called Lara and he will pick the name for our beagle. My fiance also has a turtle called filipe.

Comment

My SO is a total dog person and hopes we will get a dog sometime when we close the distance. I'm against it, since it's a big responsibility and I'm a bit scared of dogs, but it's at least something we can talk about again when we're settled into a petfriendly place. We both grew up with birds and love them, though, so having a little bunch of birds is absolutely going to happen

~
        It'll take a lot more than words and guns
        A whole lot more than riches and muscle
        The hands of the many must join as one
        And together we'll cross the river

Comment

We haven't closed the distance yet, but we already got a sort of cat... If not two! Anyway, Minosh used to be a street kitten but we took him in and have fed him for a couple of months, he is now a wellfed youngster that considers our flat his home. We started feeding street cat mums and kittens as soon as we got the flat, and it is possible Minosh is a left behind kitten from one of the first families we fed. We also feed his best friend (a female) and some other cats. Minosh stays with us the most, and M with his friend appear on pics and Skype with SO. The cat is his hobby while I am away and our common obsessions when I am there. I totally adore Minosh, he is very soft and cuddly and cute. We are both cat lovers. I have had three indoor cats before, once two at the same time. He always wanted cats that would allow him to pet them.
          Last edited by differentcountries; December 1, 2014, 04:28 AM.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Stray cats can be very sweet to befriend, but make sure you're careful regarding diseases. Stray cats can carry all sorts of health issues and parasites.

~
            It'll take a lot more than words and guns
            A whole lot more than riches and muscle
            The hands of the many must join as one
            And together we'll cross the river

Comment

You are right about that, however the cats all seem healthy. I have been thinking about getting vet checks, but SO is reluctant. In
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

You are right about that, however the cats all seem healthy. I don't feel I am running a risk, especially since they don't sleep with us at night.

Comment

Regardless if the cats sleep with you, you should get them checked out. Feral cats may seem healthy, but can carry all kinds of parasites that don't produce obvious symptoms until it is too late for anything beyond expensive surgery or euthanasia. We had a sweet darling puppy come in not too long ago and she seemed healthy - but then she tested positive for an internal parasite. Fortunately it was a treatable one and her owners for her taken care of and now she's healthy and growing like a weed.

If you're going to keep the cats inside at all, pet them, or take responsibility for them, get them checked by a vet and get them spay/neutered. Some diseases that feral cats can carry are transmittable to humans through their saliva.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                  Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                  Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X