Wrong present? :-( Pendent for man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong present? :-( Pendent for man

As I read a couple of threads about engagement rings, I could not stop thinking about what happened few weeks ago for our first anniversary, and I decided to ask for your advice.
    I made (not bought, made) a pendant with my finger print for my boyfriend. I got the idea here on LFAD and I thought it was very romantic. He could have had it always on his neck. I did it with some white clay, painted the outside in black, and put it on a black necklace. According to my personal taste it was not flashy or girlish.

The problem is that his face expression when he opened the package (which was hidden in a pair of shoes which don’t fit him ) was pretty confused. He told me thank you and closed it in a drawer. It was not what I expected to happen!
    He told me that in Germany men don’t wear jewelery. I was very upset but I wasn’t able to explain him that it was important for me that he wore it; so it still stays in his drawer. I didn’t imagine that cultural problems would have risen on our anniversary day, but it happened. This happened 10 days ago, but I keep thinking about how I felt sad after he opened my present

Have you ever been badly mistaken about a present for your SO?

Do men in your country wear necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc? Is it just Italy where they do? Do you know anything about Germany?

I'm sorry his reaction wasn't what you were hoping for. I think my SO would react the same way if I bought or made him jewelry. He doesn't wear any ever and I don't think he would start just cause I gave him a piece.

Comment

Aww man that sucks!!! That gift seems very well thought out and really from the heart. Maybe ask him if he can turn it into a keychain or tie it around a bag or something? That way he still carries it everywhere, just not around his neck.

Lots of men in the USA wear jewelry. Here in Costa Rica, guys wear jewelry too. You can even see kids around age 8 with eyebrow piercings and lip piercings. But my SO doesn't wear any type of jewelry, and I wouldn't buy him any. Maybe it's not his thing?

Comment

I think there might be some truth to what he said. When I think about it none of the German guys I know wears jewelry aaand I don't really like most jewelry on men either
        My boyfriend has a golden signature ring that thankfully he wears only on special occasions when his grandpa is around - I hate it. And then he has a tiny Holy Mary pendant (or whatever you call it), that I don't mind, because it's really tiny and has a cute story behind it.
        Men in Poland definitely wear more jewelry than in Germany...

I'm so sorry your present didn't work out the way you wanted. I can understand you so well, I'd be upset about that as well

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
          Aww man that sucks!!! That gift seems very well thought out and really from the heart. Maybe ask him if he can turn it into a keychain or tie it around a bag or something? That way he still carries it everywhere, just not around his neck.
          I didn't think about this, but I can suggest him to change the purpose of this object in few weeks, when I will see him again.

I am glad I wrote here what happened because your replies really help me. At the beginning I thought I would have forgot it, but I keep thinking about it...

Comment

I agree with lucybelle. I would be honest about the fact that it's important to you. You could even be lighthearted about it. "So you know that gift I got you? Is there any way to make it less girly in the German world? Like a keychain or something? That way, you could still carry it with you but you wouldn't have to wear it as a necklace."

I can understand feeling upset about it, however. I likely would too.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

I was going to recommend making it into a keychain too! Or could he hang it in his room somewhere? I would have been very disappointed and upset by his reaction too.

Comment

I have to say that, thats the reaction i'd get from my SO if i gave him any type of jewelry..he doesnt even want to wear a wedding ring so meh.
                What i did was make a pendant thing into a keychain and he's been using it since. Basically what everyone else has said really. I also made him one to put on his mobile phone..but he doesnt really like that lol too girly me thinks. It's all good though, he hangs it off his desk instead.

I have made him things before where i didnt exactly get the reaction i wanted. I love making things that mean something, has sentimental value but he doesnt. He just doesnt see any value in it. He appreciates the idea and such and likes that i would do something like that for him but yeah he doesnt see the value i see in them. His reasoning behind it is that im with him so why does he needs things to remind him of me? When he can just think about me or call me. In a way it's relaly sweet but men! lol

Comment

I think it really depends on the person. (He's in the US and I'm Dutch). I got matching necklaces for me and my SO, (yin and yang) with our names engraved in it. He had never worn any jewelry before (and I wasn't sure if he was the type to, but I figured I could give it a try). It turned out that he loved it, and always wears it. He is also a huge Zelda fan, his sister gave him a triforce necklace. He took the pendant off and put it on my necklace.

The idea of a key chain is great, I think! I hope he will, I would be very upset too if my SO didn't like what I made him...

Comment

If my SO didn't like what I made him, I'd be upset too. I know my SO doesn't wear jewelry, so I would be less inclined to buy some for him...I'll let him buy it for me. My SO does love the LFAD bracelet I bought him for our anniversary. He isn't a jewelry person, so I bought the keychains for us and he actually took the keychain part off so he could wear it as a bracelet. He wears it every day we're apart. Anyway, I agree with the others and I would suggest asking him if you could turn it into a keychain. I'm sorry that he didn't give you the response you were hoping for. =[

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

I'm sorry he didn't seem to like it. ): I can imagine that hurt. It sounds like it was a very personal and sweet gift; I agree with the other ladies about suggesting a different way to display the pendant.
                      I imagine that jewelry would go over pretty well with my SO, seeing as she's a girl, but she actually works at a bead shop and makes jewelry all the time. So it would be hard to find something she'd like that she couldn't make for herself.

Comment

I'm so sorry he didn't like it. I think it's really sweet you made him something by hand. I agree with the other folks posting though about seeing if he'd like it better as a keychain. Is it small? Maybe he could do it as a zipper pull.

Originally posted by Lissy View Post
                        I imagine that jewelry would go over pretty well with my SO, seeing as she's a girl, but she actually works at a bead shop and makes jewelry all the time. So it would be hard to find something she'd like that she couldn't make for herself.
                        At Lissy, I would love any jewelry from you, despite being able to make jewelry. Anything from you is special, and I would love it. <3

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
                          I think there might be some truth to what he said. When I think about it none of the German guys I know wears jewelry aaand I don't really like most jewelry on men either
                          My boyfriend has a golden signature ring that thankfully he wears only on special occasions when his grandpa is around - I hate it. And then he has a tiny Holy Mary pendant (or whatever you call it), that I don't mind, because it's really tiny and has a cute story behind it.
                          Men in Poland definitely wear more jewelry than in Germany...

I'm so sorry your present didn't work out the way you wanted. I can understand you so well, I'd be upset about that as well
                          I don't remember seeing men in germany with many jewelry either. my SO will wear his wedding band when we get married, and he used an indian made wooden bracelet i gave him at the begin of our relationship until it broke. when I met him, he used a necklace. but never 2 things together. so if someday I buy him a necklace or bracelet, I will show him before and ask for his approval, if he would wear it often or not. So I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't wear it.

Im sorry you are feeling sad for his reaction. what did he give you? was the necklace the only thing you gave him? maybe he was expecting something else as a gift and got a little disappointed as well?
                          our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post
                            Im sorry you are feeling sad for his reaction. what did he give you? was the necklace the only thing you gave him? maybe he was expecting something else as a gift and got a little disappointed as well?
                            Oh, I put the pendent inside a pair of leather shoes from Adidas. In terms of values, it was the big present, but for me it was just a nice way to wrap the jewelry ;-) In any case, he didn't care about monetary value at all. We like romantic ideas and his present was very simple but it perfectly fit our story.
                            I was stupid to not ask around if German men wear jewelry I saw he was not wearing any, not even in the US, but I thought it was because he didn't have a girlfriend at that time. I'm going to see him in 2 weeks and I will suggest him the key ring idea. I hope he will like it, or at least I hope he will understand my feelings, as last time I was not able to talk about this with him.

Comment

The funny thing is, I never thought about this in terms of culture at all.
                              I just thought that I don't like jewelry on men and that most men don't like to wear jewelry. I did sort of notice that Polish men wear more jewelry, but I never really thought about it. I sent my boyfriend the love knows no distance bracelet and I chose the keychain option and specifically stated in the note that came with it, that he didn't need to wear it, if he didn't like it and I was sort of semi-convinced that he wasn't going to wear it *shrug*

Making it into a keychain (or if he has a car, hanging it on the mirror, but seeing as he lives in Berlin... I take a guess and say he doesn't have one) is a really good idea.
                              I'm sure he will understand how important this is to you and why his reaction upset you. Cultural differences are a peculiar thing, but they keep the relationship interesting and isn't it really interesting to learn and notice all the small differences? It's one of the things I enjoy about my international LDR

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Working...
                              X