No announcement yet.

who should pay for the traveling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're both university students, but I'm a bit of a savings whizz, and he has a pretty high paying part time job.
    So far, we've both been able to pay our own airfare - not that if need be, the other wouldn't offer to help pay.
    When we're actually together, we just pay for things - it doesn't necessarily matter who pays, and it works out to be pretty much 50-50 anyway. My attitude is that money is just money. I pay for the things that I have to, and save when we're apart, and that means that I can be a little frivilous when we're together. And that's how I like it. There are always opportunities to make more money, but when you're with your SO, you get that little time you have together to make it as special as possible. I guess we're both pretty lucky in the sense that we've always been able to afford to visit whenever we have an opportunity - that doesn't mean we haven't worked for it - it's just the way things have worked out for us.

Comment

We are just 8 hours away driving so it's less than $200 round trip. We take turns visiting each other, when he came to see me he paid for everything from travel to going out to eat. He refuses to let me pay for anything. I'm going to go see him and I will pay for my travel expenses and food to make for his birthday dinner but he will pretty much pay for everything else.

Comment

My situation is much the same way - he makes way more than I do. He's INSISTED upon paying for my ticket to visit him so in return (and to make me feel better) I'm saving to pay for activities and such.
        "She is motivated by love. The world moves for love - it kneels before it in awe."

Comment

I don't think it'd be fair to ask my SO to pay for my plane ticket if we were meeting somewhere. I'm sure he'd offer if we were in this situation, and then I might split it 50/50 with him, but personally I think the person traveling should pay for the traveling expenses. And since you're both traveling I think you should each pay for your traveling expenses. If it's really worth it to go see them, then you should be willing to pay the money to do it...

sigpic

Comment

Each of us pay half bc either one is rolling in the big bucks...yet! But when I came to visit I didnt spend a dime and i had to argue to pay for something

Comment

I like for things to be equal, even with the visits themselves (Like, I don't want him coming here every time and me rarely going there). Of course, that's not always possible.
              So far he's visited twice and I will be going there for my spring break. He has less days of class and doesn't work so it's easier for him to come here more. He paid for plane tickets the first time and also gas to drive here the second time. We're both students, so money isn't always the easiest to come by. I do work a couple hours a week and have some money saved...sometimes his parents help him out with money...
              The problem is...he always insists on paying for things. I don't want him to be the only one spending money. We haven't figured out how I'm getting there for spring break, possibly flying, but I have a feeling he'll decide he wants to drive all the way here to pick me up and I know we'll argue about who is paying for gas. I'll want to pay for it since it's my turn to make the trip! I sometimes feel like it seems like I'm not putting any effort in, but I want to!

Comment

For me to drive to see him (Thank goodness for fuel efficient cars) it takes me about 60$ round trip.....for him with his old clanky truck it takes well over a 100$...

Anyways, who ever is driving pays for their own fuel (even though I always make sure to give him $30 or so for the ride home)
                And if he comes to stay with me at my school I take care of the food bills, etc. And vice-versa when I go to stay with him. It works out well.

But yeah, he has the job but I wouldn't expect him to pay for my part.

Comment

I think if he was willing to help out towards the flight, you should definitly accept it. I'm a college student myself, so I understand how tight money is. As long as your not taking advantage of him (which i'm sure you aren't or ever will). For example, my partner wanted to come visit me, but the flight was over 700 dollars, so I helped him pay for it.

Comment

I think I will end up paying for my girls flights. I know she doesn't really like it but the reality is that I CAN make it work where as she can't.

The compromise is that she can help pay for all of her expenses whilst she is over here.

Then again, I'm the kind of person who will offer to pay before she can ask.

Comment

Working...
                    X