Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do your family and friends think/ say about your LDR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do your family and friends think/ say about your LDR?

just want to see what your family, parents,sibblings and friends say about your relationship? Are they happy for you or do they try to convince you otherwise?

They've always been supportive.

Comment

My parents aren't supportive at all and have limited my internet access to only an hour a day (7-8pm). I still have facebook and credit on my phone though Only one of my friends is supportive, and strangely, she's the one I've been close to for the LEAST amouth of time! There's only really her that is supportive of our relationship. Nobody else really understands, or they try to convince me otherwise. My mam recently wrote a two paged letter to my boys mam (his mam had never really heard of me before, and she took the address off of a letter I had written to him that was waiting to be sent) which consisted of things such as how it was his fault that I changed my career coice, don't go out (I work from 8am-5pm and don't get home till about 6pm, and my parents tell me I have to be in for 9pm) and that she's CERTAIN that I will realise that all we have is a very good friendship! They are not supportive at all, so we really only have each other.

Comment

that's great snow_girl!!
        my family never met my bf, but they saw pictures of us together and were not so amused. my bf is the same hight as me and he is also a bit chubby. This was never/ and is not a problem for me, but my family and friends think that I could do better.. I also argued with my dad because he wanted me to forget about him. he also made fun of how he looks. Soo mean!!... it makes me really sad and really angry!!

Comment

Both my SO's family and my family are 100% supportive of our relationship. Granted, we've known each other 13 years now and have been dating a year and a half. We went to school together from elementary school all the way to high school. He went away to college, so we are LD because of that. My parents love Anthony and think he is so sweet, so they are really glad we are dating.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

My parents are supportive of me and my SO. My family recently hit a bump in the road with me and my SO, but in the end it made my parents and SO closer than ever before. His parents have been very very supportive and they feel like a second family to me. My little brother really likes my SO a lot because my brother has never had an older brother to look up to. I'm very thankful that things have been going so smoothly.
            "You will always have my heart, no matter how far we're apart" ~ Jacob

Comment

My parents are supportive, rest of my family are so-so. Friends..some are some arent same with collegues. I dont mind really..for once my parents are supportive and thats all that matters lol

Comment

I've been lucky as my family and friends treat it as any other relationship. They've met him and liked him and they're supportive as they see we're happy together. His are the same towards me. Nobody ever thought we were less of a couple because we're LD.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

It took my mother seeing how important he is to me and how serious we are (and a few indirect Skype chats!) for her to be as supportive of our relationship as she is today, but she's always been more towards the supportive end than the unsupportive and her lack of support is more from caution; she does not want me repeating her mistakes and getting married young. :P
                  { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                  Met online: February 2009
                  Feelings confessed: December 2010
                  Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                  Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                  First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                  Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                  Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                  Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                  to be continued...

Comment

Hmm, is there a middle ground? I feel like my family is neither supporting nor hindering my relationship. Instead they are supporting ME, being happy for me and watching out for me. They're not bitching to me about my SO or misbehave towards him (I think that's because I'm rather private about my relationship and won't tolerate anything insulting. They did that to me while with my ex-boyfriends. Never again!) They occaisonally say hi and even try to talk to him on webcam - they haven't met each other face to face yet. And they're willing to help me out with that Letter of Invitation that I have to do for my SO's visa. That's plenty support for me, while also knowing that they don't think a LDR is a real relationship, don't want me to move so far away and my grandmother much rather wants to see me be with a guy my own country. They've mentioned these facts once or two times. Some I can understand from their point of view, but the part with the "LDR is not a real relationship" I don't agree on with them and we've agreed to disagree. We've left it at that, because they know I don't need their approval as much as I used to and I'd much prefer they not get (too) involved in my matters of the heart.

My friends on the other hand are 100% happy for me and some are even talking about us marrying, which embarrasses me so much! I keep telling them to not talk about it, because I hate getting my hopes up and then see those being shattered again....

Comment

Sometimes I think it depends on the day xD

My sister does not support my relationship and will take any chance at a dig to him and/or the distance. No ifs ands or butts. But at least I know where she stands.

My mother doesn't understand and constantly asks questions. And when I have issues/fears about my relationship, she tries to listen and be supportive...but ends up asking more questions and making me feel worse. I always feel like whatever I say to her about him she is secretly passing judgment in the back of her mind.

My dad...is my dad...therefore any boyfriend LD or CD would be in hot water. Though, I can talk to him about my relationship issues much easier than anyone else. And when I do...he offers sincere advice, so I feel he is skeptical but supportive.

My great aunt who I live with likes to ask me if my SO is out with his girlfriend whenever I'm not online talking to him. She thinks its a complete joke and likes to say hurtful things about it. But she's old and judgmental like that.

My friend from high school absolutely loves him and the idea of us. Every time he visits we plan on double dating with her. The two of them get along well and he has her full approval. We talk weddings and babies whenever we go shopping together.

My bestie/former roommate also thinks he's a good guy for me, but no man will ever be good ENOUGH. She likes him like you have to like a younger sibling. :P Though we will talk weddings and babies too and she's told me before I can't date anyone else because she's used all of her good nicknames on him. (She calls him Buck Futter, and Hufflepuff (because thats the welsh house in HP apparently), etc etc.)

I agree with what some people have already said that it took seeing us as a couple to get people to really be supportive and understanding, though.

Comment

My mum loves my SO and is completely supportive, moreso that I thought she'd have been! My grandma told me that if she were 50 years younger, I'd have competition for my SO. My sisters think I've won the boyfriend race in the family, so I'd say they're all pretty happy for me! I know my mum was very worried when my SO and I first were long distance, as she didn't want me to be in something that was one-sided. As soon as my SO booked his tickets to come over to visit me for the first time since we became LD, she was super excited for me. I guess it's just her job to worry!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                        Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

My SO's family and friends are supportive, without a doubt. On my side, well... it's complicated

Comment

Originally posted by lademoiselle View Post
                            My SO's family and friends are supportive, without a doubt. On my side, well... it's complicated
                            I feel you

Comment

My parents are supportive but my mom worries about the adjustment when we eventually close the distance. His family is supportive but his mother doesn't always understand me. She is very traditional and believes the woman's role is to be a housewife and the man should be the breadwinner. Once I get a job with my master's I'll make more, but that has never mattered to me or my SO.

All of our friends are very supportive and ask us when we're getting married which is kind of weird for me, but in some ways it's flattering. Most of them don't understand a long term LDR since they've only been LD in summers while we were in college and just say how much it must suck. It can get annoying especially since many of them live together now, but I remind myself they're still supportive and let them know it's always appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X