This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Would You Do?

So... My partner's wanting to spoil me for my birthday (June), and by spoil, I mean spoil:

And it's beautiful, but it's around 100.00 and maybe it's me? But it seems like a lot of money. :/

He says that it's not, that he likes spoiling me, and that my birthday gift, shipping and all, was around the same amount last year, but last year he wasn't out on his own and the legal guardian of his brother. Last year, though he helped managed the finances (oftentimes alone), he was not the provider of the finances. And while I don't want to demand he not do something for me, a part of me would feel guilty for accepting such an expensive present when it's not even a sum of money he has to spend on himself.

I did talk to him about it and said that I feel like 100.00 is a lot of money. He said that it's not. I said that I would feel awkward having him buy me something so pretty and nice, and he said that he would love me to have a ring to wear that not only reminded me of him and our commitment but that was from him as well. I said that I would be happy with a card and for him to make me a cake when I get there, and he said that he likes spoiling me. I wasn't sure what to say at that point, so the conversation more or less fizzled out. :P But he was fairly insistent about it.

I have considered suggesting that maybe he put the money towards an activity. There's this Hawk Walk that's on the other side of Ireland that I would really love to do, so I considered maybe having him use that money towards allowing him to do it as well so that we can both afford it/have fun with it. I have also considered maybe suggesting we stay a night in a hotel or go see a movie and have dinner with the money. But I won't lie, there's a part of me that's absolutely in love with the ring, the idea of it, and all that it symbolises. It's simply the idea that he'd be spending so much on me without getting anything in return. :/ I mean sure, I brought him here, paid for his plane fare and covered most of the trip, but I got a visit out of it. I guess I have a hard time letting myself be spoiled, but I'd have less of a hard time if it were money he had laying around to spend on himself.

What would you do in the situation? Accept it? Reject it? Ask it to be put towards something else?
    { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
    Met online: February 2009
    Feelings confessed: December 2010
    Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
    Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
    First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
    Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
    Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
    Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
    to be continued...

Maybe you could ask for it to be put to something else. You could try suggesting something else as your birthday gift, but I'd be careful with it. Men can be very proud about being able to give gifts, especially one as nice as that. Also, he might get a bit annoyed with you sort of "mommying" his finances. He's a grown man who has been forced to grow up very quickly and I'm sure he is painfully aware that money's tight for him. I'm sure your SO knows what he can and cannot afford. He might even have been saving for months to be able to afford this gift for you. So, be gentle with him?

Comment

Oh, I never meddle in his finances! As someone who's also very proud financially, I'm very careful not to say anything that might make him feel compromised, and he's never felt offended over anything I've said to my knowledge (he's quite aware I feel awkward when people spend money on me, so generally accepts my initial protests when it comes to buying me things).

He does often want to spoil me more than he can, so does take a great deal of joy out of being able to spoil me for my birthday or at random with something I'm mooning over, but I'm not sure if this is something he's been saving for for a while - if so, he's done an amazing job of hiding it! - especially since this randomly came up when we were looking at rings together. :/

I guess I'm simply uncomfortable being spoiled when right now, it's a hit to his savings to order pizza when it's not planned for. There have been times he's gone without dinner because the planned dinner, that he bought from the shop, had gone off or not worked out and they didn't have money to order out again. I suppose it's because my family and I have been in that position that makes me so uncomfortable accepting a 100.00 gift when there are nights he hasn't even been able to order out... I mean, he manages his money well and likely wouldn't spend it if he didn't have it, but I guess I don't want him feeling any pressure to spoil me when I'd honestly be happy with a walk, a card, and maybe a nice massage and a movie cuddling on the couch.

But I imagine I'm projecting my own shit onto this. My family and I went through a few years of poverty, nearly became homeless, and since, I have had such a difficult time accepting anything from anyone.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

Oh, I meant to thank you for your response by the way.

It simply seems like everyone's suggesting put it towards something else but on the other hand, it could be a matter of pride, his wanting to get it for me and to let him do it. Maybe I should simply let it go and accept that it's something he wants to do and that would make him happy and fluffy and let him do it.
        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
        to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post

It simply seems like everyone's suggesting put it towards something else but on the other hand, it could be a matter of pride, his wanting to get it for me and to let him do it. Maybe I should simply let it go and accept that it's something he wants to do and that would make him happy and fluffy and let him do it.
          Exactly.
          I triumphed in the face of adversity
          and I became the man I never thought I'd be
          and now my biggest challenge, a thing called love
          I guess I'm not as tough as I thought I was

Comment

I'll work on letting it go. Thank you both.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After