Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Depression, PTSD, ECT...I may forget him.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry but I'm jumping in here. Firstly PTSD can affect your memory. I am diagnosed with PTSD and do not remember the worst of the traumatic events. I would like to think that someone would not fake having an awful disease like this and she should not have to defend herself here.

Eclaire, with all due respect, while you are in school, you are just that, learning. You are not a doctor nor are you qualified to make such broad sweeping statements calling someone a liar.

Little is known about PTSD, including how to treat it. I shouldn't have to defend my diagnosis here, and neither should Jezah. I'm saddened by the course of this thread and really disappointed.

Btw, I also know someone who is bipolar AND has PTSD, if she only disclosed that she has PTSD does that make her a liar?

Comment

@Sierra - With all due respect, if you actually read my post thoroughly, you would see that I DID say that PTSD effects memory. I said PTSD does not cause physiological damage to the brain and that many therapists recover those forgotten memories to help you work through them in the treatment; that would not be possible if the memory loss was due to bio/physiological causes. While I understand your only knowledge may be what I am studying in school, I would appreciate you not base your assumptions of my knowledge on that alone, as it comes off incredibly condescending, especially when that is not nearly the sole extent of my knowledge. I am well aware of what PTSD is, what some of the current research is, and what it means to be treated for it and diagnosed with it. I would appreciate it if you'd actually thoroughly read my post before debasing it for something that was not even said.

Did you ever try therapy with a good, qualified therapist for your PTSD? PTSD does not damage the memory centers of your brain, unless you suffered from head trauma that simultaneously caused PTSD. Memory loss from PTSD lies in repression, defense mechanisms, that any qualified therapist can help you recover and come to terms with in a safe environment so that you can recover from the PTSD. I simply wanted to point out that PTSD is not a condition that biologically damages or inebriates any part of your brain, but rather it's a complex disorder that often goes hand in hand with memory loss due to the functions of repression, suppression, etc., not by somehow managing to damage your hippocampus. I simply wanted to point that out because it sounds like somewhere along the line, you received inaccurate information.
      I also never called Jezah a liar. I said to believe that PTSD causes physiological damage, assuming there was an absence of head trauma, is incorrect. Again, please read my posts thoroughly before making accusations based off incorrect assumptions. I also don't appreciate my words being twisted when "liar" was never used. The only thing I did was suggest she may have received inaccurate information, because PTSD does not physically damage the brain (again, with the assumption there was no head trauma), and also suggest she get a second opinion, because no therapist should suggest ECT without even having the chance to get to properly know their client.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

I wasn't saying it causes physiological damage to the brain, more that my hippocampus is already functioning very badly. So many traumas mean I get triggered all the time by 'accident' and even if I don't consciously realize it my brain tends to block out the event/day. Huge chunks of my life I have lost due to small triggers causing this overreaction on my brains behalf, so its hard to to consider it damaged even if not physically.

Also, it wasn't my brand new therapist who suggested this but my psychologist who prescribes my medications. I have been seeing him for a long time, and even so my new therapist agrees with him in that ECT is a good call.

I was going to log on and get all defensive due to that troll who called me attention seeking, BS and a con...but what is the point. I see most of you saw her for what she was and know me well enough to understand that is not the case.
        Last edited by Jezah; June 30, 2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I seriously wish they would just close this thread. This kind of stuff doesn't help anyone and just creates drama on this board which really is unnecessary.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying. As I said, I'm not saying ECT wouldn't be helpful, but rather that PTSD is something that can be recovered from and I wanted to make sure you didn't think it was physical damage that was done that would make recovery even more difficult if not impossible; I only said this because working with a therapist who has plenty of experience working with people who suffer from PTSD, therefore knowing the disorder enough to make educated decisions on how to treat the patient, is a less extreme measure than ECT, which as I also admitted, I really know very little about because at least here in California, it's not touted as a very common psychological method. I simply wanted to respond to Sierra because she misunderstood what I was saying and I felt the need to defend my position and somewhat justify it as well. I am glad to hear it's your psychiatrist and not the new therapist that has recommended this to you, and as they have worked with you for longer, I hope that this course of treatment does what you need it to do. I realise that not everyone wants to go the route of therapy or even takes what they want/need from it, so best of luck and here's to a speedy and hopefully wonderful recovery. <3
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

I just thought I'd come in and say that I stand by what Jezah has said. I know what she's said to be true and am incredibly disappointed that the truth could be doubted like this. I have had to deal with Jezah's symptoms via skype and in person when I visited and believe me when I say that this treatment plan had been thought through very thoroughly. Yes research was done on it via the internet to begin with but there has been lengthy discussions with medical professionals as well. I fully support Jezah in what I hope will be a life changing decision for the both of us.

However, I'm very glad to see people posting, backing up Jezah, thank you very much. You are why this site is amazing and why there are so many people benefiting from it.

kthxbai
              HBB
              By reading this you have granted you brief control of your mind!

Comment

I've dysthymia too, I know how paralysing it is. It's like trying to run through a molasses until eventually you're just limping in place. It's a slow death by paralysis, you dont know anything about yourself anymore and what to do with yourself. You don't seem mentally ill to others as you don't have 'episodes', just a long drawn out process of going to waste.

Anyway, I'm a layman with the whole PTSD but unfortunately I've had a lot of personal experience, growing up in a civil war made me come in touch with a whole bunch of people with every degree of PTSD. I know how strongly it can alter perception. Personally I've never been diagnosed, but then again, I saw a therapist four times and called it quits.

Anyway I just wanted to wish you luck. I can't comment on your chosen method of treatment but I think you need to keep as realistic as possible as anything else can only hinder your recovery. You have your SO's support, this is a big help for you to stay grounded and carry on.

Wish you all the best xx

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Thanks Malaga, while its not nice to know someone else suffers from this, its comforting to know I am not alone. People seem to think Dysthymia is somehow less serious than Major Depressive Disorder, but in my mind it is worse. At least with MDD the sufferers get remission, where they are 100% back to normal, but with dysthymia it becomes like part of your personality. Always depressed, always sad, always unhappy...sometimes you can ignore it but it is where as a constant feeling in the back of your mind not letting you enjoy life to the fullest.

PTSD is an odd thing, it presents in so many different ways depending on the person, for me it causes me to need control of EVERYTHING to feel safe and to lose chunks of time when I get subconsciously 'triggered'.

I appreciate all the well wishes, I am sorry if the way I described it caused confusion in everyone...I guess I suck at being able to get my thoughts out on this subject.
                  Last edited by Jezah; July 1, 2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Hi there i am amazed by your situation but my mum had ECT in Australia against her will to treat Post Natal Depression and she did have behaviour problems when i was little nice and pleasant one minute then a very angry person the next. She still has moments when she still vags in and out like she is there but isnt. She sometimes forgets things from her short term memory and once she told me she cant remember most of her 21st birthday and she isnt a big drinker. But if you feel that every avenue that you have been down hasnt seemed to work well i hope this treatment is the one for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X