No announcement yet.

unknown future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to say it, but if your relationship broke up because you needed only a year and a half more schooling to get your teacher's certificate, then your relationship would have broken up regardless. A relationship requires sacrifices, but in my opinion, it does not require academic or career sacrifices. While Zephii said that there's no good time to give up your career, and she's essentially right, I don't feel the time to think about giving it up is before you even have the credentials to do what you've been wanting to do and going to school for. Of course, you could always go back to school, but I really think you need to stay the course and pursue what you'd be pursuing without your SO. I'm sure he doesn't want the pressure of knowing you gave that up to move to be with him, and you don't want to take the chance of resentment when you get there and have trouble finding work with a BA and can't work doing what you want (another thing to consider is looking at work prospects).
    This.
    And the teaching situation isn't the best in Germany at the moment but it could be worse and in a few years things might look completely different again. And as much as we can complain about the economy in Germany, other countries are much worse. There is always a way into teaching here, even when you start only part time or at a private school.

I also don't think 1 1/2 years is that bad. It's doable. And from my own experience I can tell you that time flies. Six months are already down for me and I still can't believe how fast they went by I'm not trying to talk you into something but from what I read I get the impression that you really want to get your teaching certificate. It's nothing you should throw away easily. I strongly believe that if a relationship is meant to be then those 18 months will not stray you from each other.

I don't know why you think 28 and single is something horrendous and that the train will have left for you by then. It won't have. It's not the end of the world and definitely not too late to get to know someone and start a family. If this fear is what drives you to quit your degree you would otherwise do then please go into yourself and consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by sewbama View Post
      So as far as the family part goes, I don't speak to my dad anymore because he isn't ok with me making decisions different than he would. He made it impossible for me to live my own life (I'm 23). I'm not suggesting you no longer speak to your family, but you have to understand that even if they love you and want what's best for you, they don't know your heart. You are the only one who has to live with the consequences of your decisions. They might be proud you've accomplished something, but you have to be happy with your life. So listen to their advice, take it into account, but remember that ultimately it's your decision because it's your life. If they can't support your decisions, they aren't worth listening to anyway.

As for the age, it isn't a big deal. Everyone's life pace is different. We're about the same age, and only one of my friends is married. So just move at your own pace and don't worry about what other people are doing or think about you. Just think through all your options, do lots of research, and see which one sounds like your life. Then, work for it, but have a back up plan. And you should definitely talk to your SO about it. Talk about what you think you want to do, how the options affect him and your relationship. But the same goes for his advice as your family. He should support any well-thought-out decision you make.
      This. Even though I'm well past your age I can assure you that getting your education done should be priority one. It's going to stay with you the rest of your life. Moving at a faster pace is all fine and good if that is what you decide to do, but know that once you are out on your own, with a job and bills it is much harder to go back to finish the education part of life. Ultimately though, you know your heart and have to live with the decisions you make. You sound very grounded so I'm sure that you will make the right decision for YOU. Your parents made their decisions and probably are worried about the path you will choose, any parent would be but ultimately it is YOUR decision.
      Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
      Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
      Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
      Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
      Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

thank your for the comments.. I know that school and having a degree is important but my situation at the moment is not that much fun,especially when your loved one is thousand miles away and you can just see him once a year- so how am I supposed to make any plans for the future?! Of course 28 is not old lol but I want to be a younger momy and not like eg. 35 with my first child..it's just how I feel..
        I just think trying to figure out what my chances in Canada are is better than wait till I'm 28 and having a job in Germany to migrate then.. I'm not happy in Germany and I strongly believe that I will never be it..so that's the reason I hold so strong on Canada... maybe I just should look where this thing with my SO goes and by time talk to him about our future plans..maybe he can help me with my decision..and NO he would never want me to give up school for him and of course I wouldn't do that.. but with finishing school I would have more than a bachelor (I asked people at my University), so now I just have to figure out what I can do with my degree..maybe it's possible to start there my teaching period..hmm

Comment

I had thought you said you hadn't yet pursued your Master's? I understand the system in Germany is different, but I would also look at the equivelancies and get a second opinion over someone at your university. For example, I graduate next year with my BA, but because it's in psychology, like I said, I would be required to do a 2-year conversion course before it would be the equivelant of a BA in Europe, for that degree program, even though I'm in school for 4 years here as opposed to the 3-year course there. As far as I'm aware, doctoral degrees (PhD) are the most transferable, and I'm not sure where Master's are on the list of recognition. Perhaps you could consider ringing or e-mailing a Canadian university's international student program, and ask what your degree would translate to in Canada? That way, you'd have the opinion of your academic advisor at home and also the academic advisor of the country you're interested in immigrating to. Simply because I know Canada recognises Bachelor's, Master's, and PhD, so what your credentials might be there might not translate, and it'd be best to speak with an advisor of the international school, as my guess would be they'll know what's required for what level of schooling. Unless you mean if you finished school, you'd have your Master's, in which case, disregard my suggestion.

But I understand your pain. I see my SO twice a year, like I said, and am tied due to school. It may become once a year in graduate school. I'm not sure what will happen then. He's 5000 miles away and going to be starting a degree program next year. It's only a two year program but what if he decides to pursue further? In the end, it's not easy, especially when you want the distance to be over with already. It's not fun for anyone in your situation, but quite frankly, I know someone who's still married (who occurred to me after posting) that did not get their psychological licensing due to getting married young, and she regrets it. She wishes she'd have waited for marriage and still pursued her license. Giving up your life for your SO... What happens if you don't get married? Or if divorced? Yes, maybe at 24 you're ready to get married and start a family but what happens if it doesn't work out? Are you going to be happy you didn't pursue what you wanted to originally?

That said, I would consider e-mailing international programs at Canadian universities in your SO's province and I would also look for schools that qualify graduates to become teachers or professors. E-mail schools that actually have a program for obtaining your teacher credential and give them your degree program, your country, the level of degree you're in/obtaining, and ask them if it'd qualify you to teach or if you would need a teaching credential. Also ask if you would need a teaching credential from Canada or if your Germanic credential would be transferable. Do research by e-mailing programs relevant to the work you want by e-mailing the people who would know, i.e. universities and teaching schools. I would do that first before considering immigrating to someone you've only met once (or haven't met yet? Can't remember >.<) and giving up getting your credential and pursuing further education there.
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
          Met online: February 2009
          Feelings confessed: December 2010
          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

yes we don't have a BA and MA in teaching..we have state examine which is more than a BA.. I already texted some people there but I guess the wrong ones cause they didn't know as well.. I think I might go to a University there and talk to someone who understands it.. I met my SO with 16 for the first time..but we actually fell in love last year where I stayed 3,5 months there and we became a couple..now I'm going to visit him for 7 weeks..

Comment

I’m going to be very honest. To be a teacher in Canada is pretty strict and they usually do NOT take international credentials. To be a teacher in Canada you require a bachelor's degree in education (B.Ed.) and a provincial teacher's certificate (professional license to teach).

Depending on the province you move to you have to meet their requirements. For example, in Manitoba you only qualify as a teacher if you have a B.Ed and were trained in two teachable subjects after you’ve attained your B.Ed you have to have supervised teaching hours.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalfever View Post
                I’m going to be very honest. To be a teacher in Canada is pretty strict and they usually do NOT take international credentials. To be a teacher in Canada you require a bachelor's degree in education (B.Ed.) and a provincial teacher's certificate (professional license to teach).

Depending on the province you move to you have to meet their requirements. For example, in Manitoba you only qualify as a teacher if you have a B.Ed and were trained in two teachable subjects after you’ve attained your B.Ed you have to have supervised teaching hours.
                well I don't know if you can call this strict.. of course I know that you need all this.. In Germany I'm studying 3 subjects..and like I said my first stateexamine is more than a BA. I also had supervised teaching hours.. so I think I have pretty good chances there.. well of course I know that I would need some courses to do there..that's for sure, but I think I would also have the chance to do my MA there...well like I said I will need to talk to someone of the University there- but thanks for your help

Comment

Anything is possible, even when it's hard. If you don't like how your life is right now I don't see the sense in continuing to slog through it honestly. It would be (to the best of my knowledge) easier to get a job in Canada if at least the last part of your schooling was there, but heck, I'm sure there are bridging courses and all that. Why not take a gap year, work your arse of for the visa money, and just... go. Even if things don't work out with your SO, you've gained the experience of living abroad (which looks very nice on resume's) and you might decide your future is still in Canada even without him.

The great thing about money is you can always work and earn more of it. You might not be working a job you like at first, but it's doable.

When you know what you want, everything else is so much easier.
                  Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                  X