Am I over thinking this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I over thinking this?

This might be all over the place, so I'm sorry in advance for that.

Kaleb & I have been together for nearly 10 months now, but LD for just over three weeks. Things were going really well, actually. We've had a few disagreements but I felt like we'd actually been doing the best we have in a long time.

All of a sudden, since about Wednesday, things have felt a little weird to me, like he isn't telling me everything. We haven't really had the chance to talk much, he's really busy with school and football and church. I know he's in a new place, and there are a lot of new faces, and pretty girls. It's a little scary for me. And ever since I found out I couldn't visit in October, my emotions have gone wild. I don't know if it's something I've done, or not done, or if he's scared to tell me something. I have made it very clear to him on many occasions that he needs to trust me, and he can tell me anything. He's been through a lot in his life, causing him to have a whole load of issues. I just feel like he's holding something back that he should be able to tell me.

He was just told that he won't be able to play for the varsity team, right around the time this started happening. I don't know if it's just because of that, if he's stressed. He doesn't like when things don't go his way, and usually I'm pretty good at talking him out of it, but I don't know what I can tell him to stop being upset about it. He gets to play for junior varsity, but I know that's not the same, and it's not exactly an up side.

Last night was pretty weird. We only talked for about 20 minutes, rather than the usual hour or so. He told me he just didn't feel like talking, and I said I understood, I didn't want to make him more upset and I didn't have much else to say. This morning I know he had practice but that ended at 12:30. He said he would be busy this afternoon but was too tired to explain the details. I'm used to it, and some people might freak out about it, but it was really late when we talked and he wanted to sleep. I sent him a message around 2:30, but now it's 5:30 and I've heard nothing. It's a little worrying. I'm just feeling lonely, mostly.

Oh, I have no idea where I'm going with this. Maybe I just needed to vent. It's the first week of school for me, which is stressful for me so maybe I'm just over thinking everything and acting a little crazy. School really stresses me out.

Anyway, if you've stuck around long enough to read this whole thing, I thank you. It would be great if you have any words of advice or even ideas on how to pass the time when he's busy and I'm not (which is fairly often).

Thank you again, and best wishes to you!
    Last edited by alittlemind; September 1, 2012, 04:38 PM.
    started dating: 12/08/12
    "i love you": 04/12/13
    el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
    montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
    el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
    montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
    el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
    el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
    el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
    san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
    san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Don't worry, I'm sure he's just busy settling into his new life there. It sounds like he's got a lot on his plate and I'm sure that in a few weeks, he'll get into his routine and you guys will have more consistent communication.

We've all been through those lonely times, especially those first few weeks apart. But try and keep yourself busy and positive. Join some kind of activity or make something crafty. How to keep yourself busy really depends on your likes/personality. And come on LFAD to keep yourself busy!

Comment

I assume you both are in high school? which one of you moved? The move itself and now being ld could have a lot to do with it all. its a big transition for all of us. With school starting, and not making varsity it could just be a lot for him to handle right now. I know there aer times that when I am stressed, I just dont want to talk, and have time to think things thru on my own
      What ways do you communicate with each other? Text, IM, skype, phone etc? Maybe change it up. Its different communicating with each other ld, and you have to find out each others comfort level with it.
      everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

Yes, we're both 16, but he's turning 17 soon. His parents sent him to Oklahoma to live with his grandparents because the schooling system is better down there for him. We mostly talk on the phone, and he'll facebook me to tell me to call. We can't text, and his internet is so bad skype is a rare thing. We prefer skype, but it's just not possible.

We're both just stressed, I guess. But I still haven't heard from him and that's just stressing me out more. But I'm trying to be patient and not too clingy. The thing is, when he doesn't want to talk, sometimes he won't even tell me. I'll just go without hearing from him and it hurts.
        started dating: 12/08/12
        "i love you": 04/12/13
        el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
        montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
        el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
        montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
        el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
        el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
        el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
        san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
        san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

Originally posted by alittlemind View Post
          The thing is, when he doesn't want to talk, sometimes he won't even tell me. I'll just go without hearing from him and it hurts.
          I had this problem too. The best way to handle it is (surprise surprise, haha) talking about it. I made a 'relationship rule' that if my SO didn't feel like talking, he would tell me. However, if he did tell me he didn't feel like talking, I would have to suck it up and give him some space - even though my natural reaction would be to try and work out of him what was wrong. That way, he felt comfortable telling me that he just needed some time to himself, without the fear of having to explain himself to me.

Your SO is probably thinking that it's easier to ignore you when he doesn't want to talk than tell you and hurt your feelings, and then have to explain why. If you make it easier for him to tell you, you're less likely to be left wondering why he's not responding.

Comment

Working...
          X