Seatbelts on planes...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seatbelts on planes...?

My friend sent me this article. What do you guys think?

I can't imagine the US would ever do this, though. Would you take advantage of this if it were to actually come into the light? Why/why not?

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Sounds scary! I once flew from Amsterdam to Barcelona, I guess you could consider that short enough to keep standing. But the weather was terrible, and we actually dropped 20 meters. It was a terrible flight with a lot of turbulence, which can still happen in Europe, so I would personally never stand because things like that are always possible. However, if it's THAT cheap... Who knows? I think the idea is good, but it's never actually going to get through because it's not safe enough.

Comment

I heard about the standing area a year ago or so. And I hear they are already charging 1 euro to use the bathroom.

Meh, if it's only a 30-40 min flight I don't see the issue. I would never buy a standing ticket though.

They have standing tickets for buses here. And I imagine that's a helluva lot more dangerous than standing on a plane.

Comment

I sure wouldn't want to be standing if the plane hit severe turbulence, seems like a great way to break your neck. If the plane loses altitude suddenly, it comes down on your head
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I have only been on a plance once with severe enough turbulence to drop. Absolutely terrifying... But overall, I don't mind the idea. I wouldn't consider it for long-haul flights, but I would certainly for short-haul. I'm not sure people would designate it as "safe" enough but quite frankly, we're allowed to stand on our buses and our buses don't have seatbelts and having bused for almost four years now, both on campus and off, I can say that flying is a hell of a lot safer than some of our drivers.
          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
          Met online: February 2009
          Feelings confessed: December 2010
          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
          to be continued...

Comment

I expected nothing less from the CEO of Ryanair

Knowing the Ryanair ticketing structure, you won't end up saving that much.

Comment

What?!?

I can't even bring myself to move while sitting down on a plane, let alone stand up on a plane. That just spells danger and disaster if anything goes wrong in the air! Then again, I'm probably just overreacting since I have a phobia of flying in a plane...but it's never wrong to be safe overall.

Comment

Originally posted by ST25 View Post
                What?!?

I can't even bring myself to move while sitting down on a plane, let alone stand up on a plane. That just spells danger and disaster if anything goes wrong in the air! Then again, I'm probably just overreacting since I have a phobia of flying in a plane...but it's never wrong to be safe overall.
                It would be just like if an elevator were to fall, you just have to jump at the last second. I think that would be way safer then sitting!

Comment

Well, it would help to prevent DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) for frequent long term traveler's but other than that I think the safety risk is too great. One of my worst flights ever was from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh. It was about 35 min long, if that but horrible horrible turbulence. I have had some pretty bad turbulence on connections in Europe too. Any flight can get it, I don't know how he can say otherwise. That is the whole point, turbulence is air pockets. There is no way to prevent it. You can go up higher to escape storms, but that is about it. In the event of a crash landing you are most certainly not guaranteed to die. Many survive them. It all depends. Those standing most likley would stand much less a chance. So the question is, is it worth it to save some bucks to risk your life and limbs?

For me the answer would be NO.

I have no problem with him charging to use the bathroom. They just need to make sure people are aware to bring cash with them. They charge for use of bathrooms all over Europe.
                  "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                    It would be just like if an elevator were to fall, you just have to jump at the last second. I think that would be way safer then sitting!
                    You are kidding right? You should really watch Mythbusters sometime.
                    https://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/m...g-elevator.htm
                    Last edited by Hollandia; November 9, 2012, 12:02 PM.
                    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                    Benjamin Franklin

Comment

This is ridiculous! My flights usually last for about 2 hours, sometimes 2 and a half hours. But I have to say, I would definitely not feel comfortable standing up for that long, even if it did only cost £1! I would much rather pay £500 for that 2 hour flight and have a place to sit with a seatbelt, rather than £1 to stand up. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable with that!
                      No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

I think I read about that like a year (or more) ago and irc then the Ryanair-guy admitted to only saying that as a means to get publicity.

My flights are less than two hours and statistically it's probably more dangerous to stand in a bus in traffic, but I still don't think it's a good idea.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I'm curious as to why people don't have an issue with buses, even school buses, lacking seatbelts, however? I don't ask this to stir the pot. I'm genuinely curious. Statistically, most flight accidents are likely to happen on the way to the airport, and flying is statistically the safest mode of travel. I have actually had more issues riding the public and campus bus systems (there have even been instances of whole rows of people knocking each other over) than I have ever had with turbulence. That's not to say turbulence doesn't exist, because it does, and sometimes it can be absolutely awful, but I would say most of my flights have generally been seatbelt-signs off anyway, and I figure take-off and landing could be easily worked out in a standing section.

I'm simply curious as to why more people have an issue with this, but don't have an issue with seatbelts not being used in a subway or on buses, where accidents are more likely to happen or risk of injury is a lot higher than flying.
                          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                          Met online: February 2009
                          Feelings confessed: December 2010
                          Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                          Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                          First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                          Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                          Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                          Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                          to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                            I'm curious as to why people don't have an issue with buses, even school buses, lacking seatbelts, however? I don't ask this to stir the pot. I'm genuinely curious. Statistically, most flight accidents are likely to happen on the way to the airport, and flying is statistically the safest mode of travel. I have actually had more issues riding the public and campus bus systems (there have even been instances of whole rows of people knocking each other over) than I have ever had with turbulence. That's not to say turbulence doesn't exist, because it does, and sometimes it can be absolutely awful, but I would say most of my flights have generally been seatbelt-signs off anyway, and I figure take-off and landing could be easily worked out in a standing section.

I'm simply curious as to why more people have an issue with this, but don't have an issue with seatbelts not being used in a subway or on buses, where accidents are more likely to happen or risk of injury is a lot higher than flying.
                            I agree. There should be seatbelts on buses too and trains too. The thing about the planes are, who cares if the accident happens when landing or taking off? It is still hundreds if not thousands of feet in the air. That seat belt could be the difference between life and death.
                            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post

thats what I was thinking my only downside of this would be my flights usually last around 9 hours and there's no way I'd be able to stand that long, that and I'm curious as to how much space the standers will be given, sure it said the last 10 rows but how many people could they cram in that area? I don't want to be packed in like sardines.

Notes:
                              Met: 8.17.09
                              Started Dating: 8.20.09
                              First Met: 10.2.10
                              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Working...
                              X