Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what if you met your SO years before you did?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what if you met your SO years before you did?

Do you think that you would of been together and that your personalities would of worked out? I know that I was really insecure, shy and clingy a few years back...Mike (SO) would of been the guy that I dated and that got away because I had no idea how to handle a relationship. Mike just asked me this question and I thought it would make for an interesting thread.

(off topic, but we're reversed in our situations - I'm in FL and my SO is in NH )

We actually did meet many years ago, when I was 18 and he was 27. We were in a relationship long distance for about a year at that time, but we ended things because of the distance and he had some worries about the age difference and that I might resent him later on if I moved and "gave up" my youth. The very lucky thing for us, is that we grew together in life. We remained friends, and I know because of the years between then and now, I am much more capable of dealing with this distance than I was back then.

Comment

Me and my SO have had a similar conversation before. What if we met in person. I don't think he would have noticed me, he says he would have but even if he did I don't think he would have approached me, and I certainly wouldn't have him. Im so shy that if I saw him he'd be a daydream in my head but that would be it, I had no confidence in me before him and I can't talk to people on my own lol Plus the only way we would have met would have been if we went to school together. He thinks we would be in the same group of friends, but im not so sure. I think I would have been the nerdy girl with just one friend lol (home-schooled so ill never know) And I would never have done Zumba if he hadn't been into it. So im so very grateful for the internet, plus with a 8 hour time dif I got so lucky to see him online. Was a once in a lifetime moment, so I think it was that moment and that was it. lol We were meant to be.
      I love you Nathan <3
      sigpic
      5/25/09 <3

Comment

My SO and I actually met each other online a year ago. But we didn't know that it was each other until two weeks into our relationship. But we "met" this summer. So it was really weird!

First met: June 2012
        Became Committed: June 04, 2012
        Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
        Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

I don't know, probably. My SO said he was really shy before we met and I've been pretty much the same so I bet our two introverted selves would have gotten along well although maybe a bit quiet with each other.

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I think he would have been happy if we had got together sooner But the timing was actually perfect! I appreciate him and who he is so much more now due to past experiences.

Comment

I think that he would have been scared of me LOL. (Heck, I think he was when we DID meet...) I may have been a little hesitant to talk to him, too - he is so extroverted that a younger me might have been taken aback!
              ~~~

Comment

He's 8 years older than me so if we had met any earlier, it wouldn't have worked because I would have been way too young for him! Now I'm nearly 24 the age difference isn't significant at all.

Comment

Haha I always joke that I would have hated him in High School. He used to be an atheist after Richard Dawkin's own heart and I identified as Christian at the time. We've both become a lot more moderate since then and I think other than that, we might have gotten along years ago since we became friends very quickly when we first met. He was super into music in HS though and spent all his time practicing, so I might not have seen him at all!

Comment

No, I don't think so. First of all, we would've been pretty young. I think if we had met any time before last year, it would've have worked. I was... not the greatest person then haha. Neither was he, but I don't think he would've liked me all that much. I also think that if we met in person we wouldn't be together. He wouldn't have noticed me or been as attracted to me if he didn't already know me, and I wouldn't have the courage to say anything to him.
                    "You let me in your heart and out of my head."

Comment

Well, I don't know if we would have liked each other instantly or anything but I think we would have at least been friends. Clothing/appearance wise he is kinda like a few of my old friends and personality wise we click rather well. As for getting together then, it's doubtful. Why? Because I was with someone else and so was he. We we're both in previous relationships that lasted about 5-6 years each, then he got into another relationship that lasted about 2 years on and off (while I was still in the 5-6 year long one). So, I see us as most likely being close friends then eventually moving on to more.. kinda like we did anyway, but I have no idea if he would have given me a chance, relationship wise, and I don't know if I would have gotten to know him as well if we had met in person first.

To add to that, anymore than 3 years and he would have been under age since I'm about 4 years older than him.. so friendship would have likely been what we would have had for at least a few years. I'm kinda glad that we met when and how we did.
                      "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
                      This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
                      Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

If we had met any sooner, I'd have never come onto him like I did. I also wouldn't have known myself well enough to not be scared of some of the things we've talked of. I also wouldn't have been far enough over my last ldr to dare give this one a chance. Kind of feels like fate and/or karma landed me on his profile at just the perfect time. Now we just have to be strong enough to stay in love until we can close this distance.

Comment

I think things might not have worked out as they did if we met at anytime, everything I've done in my life lead me to her, I wouldn't have gone to Thailand if things were different, and if I had gone to Thailand there's no way to know if I had gone to the same place I met her, it was a complete random place to meet her, I could have easily been there at the wrong time and never bumped into it, it had to be this way and this time and I'm not letting go now :P

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                          2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                          3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                          4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                          5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                          6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                          7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                          Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                          UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

I honestly don't think my SO and I would have been together if we had met years before we did. I was deathly shy in high school, and I met my SO at a point during which I was trying to break out of my shell.. my freshman year of university.

Comment

No i dont think so. If we had met years earlier i'd have been pretty young. We met when i was 24 and him 30. I would still have been messing around and not knowing who i was. The 20 y/o me was very different to what i am now and him well he wasnt ready for a serious relationship before. Im glad we met when we did, we were looking for the same things.

Comment

Working...
                              X