Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a long distance proposing be considered official ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He proposed to me and I said yes. He has asked me many times even when we met. My reply is always yes. Even with the short amount of time we have been in the relationship I just know he is my other half. He saw a ring and wants to buy it even though I have told him to not spend a large amount and that the ring is of no importance. I consider us engaged but we still refer to each other as SO. So this is a hard one for me....I am kind of lost in this one along with you.

Comment

Hell, I made my SO wait to ask me to officially be his girlfriend in person!

For me, I need an in-person, with a ring proposal.

Comment

We're not planning on getting married until we are living together I think. So it will definitely be an in-person proposal. If he were to ask before then I would still want it to be in person. I think it makes it more official and romantic. Id be able to hug and kiss him afterward and it would have to be planned and thought out which is the most important part. In terms of the ring, I get nervous that I won't like what he picks and then I'll have to wear it forever... so i consider there being no ring and us picking it out together. But honestly, seeing the ring presented and having him put it on my finger is part of the fantasy. I much rather prefer there be a ring.

If he proposed on line, Id laugh and tell him I love him and would love to marry him but I wouldn't take it seriously.

Comment

For me, I would accept a Skype proposal or proposal via phone but I'd much rather prefer an in person proposal. It's something I'd only experience once in my life and want the full experience. Whoever said that they would want to hug their SO after the proposal, I totally agree with!

As for the ring needing to be present, this one I have two opinions on. I think that if my SO knows exactly what kind of ring I'd want, then a ring being present would be good but I know some couples go ring shopping after the proposal. I would consider a proposal official if he's seriously serious and I say "yes."
          Our love story:
          Attended the same high school 2004-2007
          Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
          Reconnected: August 2012
          Began dating LD: November 2012
          Engaged! March 2014
          Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

I would think it depends on the relationship. Is an in-person proposal feasible? I can understand where an international relationship might not have the advantage of being able to to do a "real" proposal months or even years before the wedding. If both parties are willing to take the proposal seriously, then I say go for it. I would much rather have a well thought out, romantic "Skype proposal", than a thrown together crappy "in-person" proposal. My ex husband put ZERO thought into his proposal, we bought the rings, went home he lit a couple candles, put on BoysIIMen and thought that would do it for romance... *facepalm*

My SO hasn't officially asked me, (I wouldn't accept it anyways seeing as how he is still legally married), but he has made comments about wanting to get married to me down the road. Just the other day he made a comment that he hurt his finger at work, and it was bothering him. I made the joke to "just cut it off" so it didn't hurt anymore, and he practically screamed "NO!!, I'm going to need that finger some day soon" so I asked which finger it was, and he said "my left ring finger". We know that we are going to be together for the rest of our lives, marriage is just a formality. But I know that when/if he does ask, it will be in person, and knowing him, it will be romantic, and spontaneous.

Comment

Originally posted by lademoiselle View Post
              I'd find it a bit weird, to be honest. I think I'd feel cheated somehow if I wasn't proposed to in person. But, to each their own, and if the medium doesn't make a difference to the couple in question then why not
              This. I think I'm a traditionalist at heart xD. Though it shouldn't matter, really. But I'd still feel a little cheated...sounds weird, I guess.

Comment

Everyone is different. For me I would want to be proposed to in person not over the phone/internet because I am old fashioned and don't want to miss out on him doing what would probably be one of the most romantic times in my life.
                ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

I guess this is entirely subjective. If you were proposed on the phone and you both meant it and it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that at all. Personally I wouldn't be able to take it seriously. I'd take it more like planning for the future, confirming that yes, we do intend to marry one day. But I wouldn't consider us engaged. I don't really need a romantic moment or anything, but it has to be serious and for that we need to be face to face plus I would expect a ring to know that it really is serious.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                  X