No announcement yet.

Is your SO also your best friend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He definitely is. We have a very open and honest relationship and it's always been relatively easy for us. We go together just like peas and carrots

That said, I also value my platonic best friends (male and female) in a different way than him. I can tell my SO anything and don't withhold anything from him, but some problems and thoughts are best discussed more thoroughly with my girl friends. A lot of times they are just able to "get" what I need emotionally for certain issues better than my SO might. I go to my guy friends when I want another male perspective on an issue. My SO is my BEST best friend, but it's different from the friendships I have with my platonic best friends. For me personally, I definitely need both in my life or I would feel like I was missing something and would be unhappy.

Comment

We became best friends the very night we met. He's the only person I feel like I can be completely open and honest to. I can tell him anything. <3
      Made it official: 12-01-10
      First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
      Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Me and my SO became best friends before we decided to go out.
        I'm just glad she didn't put me in the dreaded friend zone!

Comment

I would say that yes, he is my best friend, hes the one I turn to when things are going poorly, and who I celebrate with when things are going well. I can talk to him about anything, and I do. He always has a kind word to lift me up when I am down, and we are not afraid of being goofy with each other. I wouldn't say I would be content with just his friendship for the rest of my days, but I do enjoy his companionship. I have many girl friends that I couldn't manage life without, but he certainly enhances my life with his presence.

When they ask, he tells his kids that I am his "very best friend" and that's exactly how I feel about him as well. I have a few best friends, but he is my very best friend.

Comment

Pretty much. We were friends before actually taking the relationship further and he was always the first person I would go to when wanting to tell someone about something or just wanting someone to talk to. I have a few other people that I talk to and one of them is up there close to 'best friend' status (I don't consider anyone to actually be my 'best friend', only friends) but he is still the first person that I go to about anything, and has been for a few years now. ^_^;
            "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
            This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
            Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

Definitely. One of the things I love most about our relationship is that we're best friends as well as lovers. We're equally comfortable making fart jokes and making out two minutes later. Sometimes the jokes happen in the middle of the romance. Most times, the romance leads to jokes and back again.

I've never been so completely open and honest with someone in my entire life. I literally can come to him about anything without feeling like I'm burdening him, and (I think) he feels the same about me. He's such an amazing listener, and I think that's really what helped me open up to him completely (I have a hard time letting people know my deepest thoughts, or not being a "people pleaser."). He's so non-judgmental, tolerant, funny, and honest, which, to me, makes for passion laced with soul-contenting friendship. I feel so safe and happy with him.
              "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

He's one of them. He's the one I'm most open with, who knows more about me than anyone else. I also have a platonic female best friend though. I've known her for 22 years so she definitely gets the best friend title as well. I love them both dearly in very different ways <3

Met online: 1/30/11
                Met in person: 5/30/12
                Second visit: 9/12/12
                Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

She definitely is. She is the person I enjoy talking to the most, and the person I am able to trust the most. It is an amazing feeling, for sure.

Comment

Reading this thread made me think. I talked to my SO last night and I randomly asked him, "Hey R, are you my best friend?"

His answer was, "What a silly question. You farted in front of the webcam too much a couple of nights ago because you ate too much eggs and you told me about your boil in your armpits and you're not sure if I'm your best friend???"

I just thought it was funny. Hahaha! Yeah my SO is my best-est friend in the universe. He even told me that even if we break up, he'll still want me to be his best buddy, simply because we like the same things too much.

Comment

My SO is defenitely my best friend, and I notice it even more than usual over in England since I basically only know his family there... I have a friend I have known all my life and another one Ive known for over 10 years but I dont even tell them what I tell my SO ^^ Not that they mind... :P
                      We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

My SO was my best friend long before we were a couple. I think that's when I realized I loved him so much. I told him my darkest secrets, my dreams, my hopes, my regrets, my faults, my issues. It was the night we were playing a game of Truth (without dare), we both realized what hopeless romantics we were. I told him he was "quite the cutie" and returned the compliment, and after that we've never been one without the other. Best friends and Lovers.

Comment

Definitely. Lol.

Comment

Both my boyfriend and my husband are among my closest friends, I talk to them every day (when I am away from one, I am always still on text/phone/Skype with the other). Me and my husband were close friends for four years before becoming a couple, still it was a bit of a transition to become his gf. With my boyfriend we just jumped right into things, so I am slowly getting to know him better as a gf and his friend, and am slowly arriving to a point where we can be with each other effortlessly. I have many friends and consider about a third of them to be close friends; I love people and like to see myself in many "mirrors" and to reflect back to people what they are like. My husband has a handful of close friends. My boyfriend has two best friends (at least one of them likes me!). We are all pretty social people, what is special is we have a quite introvert vibe when we er together the two or three of us.
                            Last edited by differentcountries; June 18, 2014, 05:03 AM.
                            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

My SO is my best friend and has been since before we were dating. Neither of us planned it, we just get along so well. I think we would have to be to have gone through what we have so far.
                              "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yes he is I can talk to him about anything and I trust him and i feel good around him. In the past I have said "so or so is my best friend" but for the 1st time I truly feel it with my fiancé !

Comment

Working...
                                X