Would you do it again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you do it again?

This is my first (and hopefully last!) long distance relationship. I'd never really contemplated one before and sort of fell into this one without really knowing what it would entail. The end is in sight for the long-distance part of our relationship, but I'm curious to know if you (as in the LFAD community!) would consider another LDR if the one you are in didn't work out? Also I know some people have ended a LDR and started another one and I'd also be keen to hear from them and if their previous experience made them more wary or if it was easier the second time round.

For me, I'm not sure I would do it again. I know you can't choose who you fall in love with but I think should I ever break up with my current SO, which I hope to god never happens, I would actively avoid getting to know anyone in that way that didn't live physically close. I do think there have been positives to the long distance part for us, I think we have a trust in each other that's a lot deeper than it might have been and of course we've had the fun of visiting each other and being shown around where the other lives etc and doing touristy things together. But I'm not going to lie, I've found it very tough at times. I've never doubted in my SO and our relationship, but I have doubted my own ability to handle the distance and I think I've sacrificed some of my social life in the process. I don't regret it, I've met someone who I want to marry and spend the rest of my life with and some people never find that, but I'm not sure I'd have the strength to do it again.

Just some ramblings, not sure there's really a point to it, I just found myself pondering it

100xs over do it again. It was worth it.

Comment

For him? Absolutely. Our wedding date right now is our "official" close the distance date. (Although there may be a few days in between the honeymoon and us actually living together, since one (or both) of us will be moving.)

I have no doubts in my mind that this has made our relationship stronger.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I would, depending.

While I don't exactly love the distance between us, I deal with it pretty well and I'm at a point in my life where marriage and kids are behind me, so a less-than-conventional relationship is fine. I wouldn't actively seek out another LDR, but I'd be OK with it, for the right guy (though, I've already found the right guy )

The depending part...One thing I've learned from LFAD is that I would not have an LDR with someone in a country that's difficult to visit. If I had to apply for visas every time, and pay a high fee to do it, along with huge travel times, I just wouldn't be interested, no matter what. I'm OK with LD so long as I can actually visit them, without a lot of hassle.
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I would do it all over again, I have actually only dated long distance and I feel like you can get closer to them then you can with close distance. You probably talk more then you ever would if you met close distance. You also open up faster and don't feel like you have impress them with body language and first impressions as much.

It seems more like they fall in love with you, then just falling in love with that cute girl that caught there attention physically. That may just be my cup of tea though. Close distance is also really nice and I cant wait until I can be with my SO and have him here with me.

Comment

I would probably do it again, but I'm not sure I could be in a relationship with someone I met online. I knew my current SO in real life (we were friends) before we started dating long distance.

sigpic

Comment

Well,I've had multiple long distance relationships since I was 16,I'm 22 now. So I'm kinda used to it by now. However,it's only been since I've been with my fiance now that I have trouble with the distance because I honestly can't live without him by my side. If we didn't work out I honestly don't see myself really being in another relationship CD or LD. I know that kinda sounds extreme but the man that I'm with now is everything & more to me. He holds my heart without a question and I honestly believe he's my soulmate and the love of my life. I discovered through him what truly being in love feels like. So yeah,with that said,No I wouldn't do LD again most likely unless I had to for my current SO.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
              Back Together: August 1,2012
              First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
              Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
              Engaged: January 17,2013
              Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
              Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
              We Got Married! - July 3,2014
              SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
              Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

For my SO, I'd do it all over again without a moment's hesitation. But, should we go our separate ways I think I'd try to avoid becoming involved in another LDR.

Comment

I'm on my 3rd LDR and I would probabaly do it again. I'm disabled and right now, also housebound practically and so the way I connect with people is through the internet. I don't go out much, if at all and especially right now, it's all dependant on other people taking me places. So unless I meet the love of my life at the coffee shop I go to with my mum, then it's likely to be online

It's hard and none of the others worked out, but if I had to do it again for Scott. No hesitation, yes I would.

Apologises for any mistakes, my brain issue is causing problems with my eyes
                  Joey & Scott
                  Met: April 2002
                  Lost Contact: August 2002
                  Reconnected: April 2010
                  Together: May 20th 2010

[COLOR="#800080"]"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

My first Boyfriend was Long distance! And the whole 6 months I've been with him and all the long time before made me even more open to LDR.

My first BF was handicapped and he was slightly disfigured. I'll be honest and say I'd never even look at him IRL but I learned to love the person and when I finally met him IRL I kept loving him no matter the looks. I KNEW him, I LOVED the inside.

It didn't work out because of age difference and me being a total kid back then. But really until I met my SO If anyone asked I'd point to that first guy and say I loved him. Because thanks to LDR i was able to look past anything visible and love the inner person.

And current relationship is the last one and I don't consider ANY other relationship LDR or CDR, It's him or noone.
                    “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
                    ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
                    Closed the distance >21.03.2015
                    sigpic

Comment

It's hard to say but I think I would do it again - if I knew that closing the distance was our goal. Getting into another LDR without knowing where it's going is a deal breaker for me.

It was hard but totally worth it!

Met: November 19, 2010
                      Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
                      Made it official: April 29, 2011
                      Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
                      Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
                      Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
                      K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
                      Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
                      Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Nope. Nada chance.

Comment

This is my second LDR, we met in person. I met my previous LD boyfriend online, and I probably wouldn't do that again (when coupled with long distance) because of the doubt it created at first. (Will we really meet/etc.) Long distance has strengthen (and helped to tear apart, in the former) my relationships, so yes, I would do it again. However, if I were to choose, should I not stay with my current SO for whatever reason, I'd actively look closer distance.
                          ~~~

Comment

For my current SO, definitely. Otherwise- super slim chance. I would definitely not go out online looking for a relationship or anything.

Comment

I would do it again but I'd want it to happen the way it happened.. I wouldn't go out and try to date anyone on the internet, I liked how this relationship evolved from a strong friendship into an even stronger relationship.
                              So .. yes for Stephen I'd do it again

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                              Married: 1/24/2015
                              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X