R.I.P Online sex life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TooFarAway View Post
    Catholics and Christians have a good amount of differences. We call ourselves Catholics/Catholic Christians/Roman Catholics, etc. Regardless, we differ from Christians. o-o
    I would know because we sometimes have debates on our differences in religion xD
    Nope..
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
      Chris·tian (krschn)
      adj.
      1. Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
      2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.
      3. Manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus; Christlike.
      4. Relating to or characteristic of Christianity or its adherents.
      5. Showing a loving concern for others; humane.
      n.
      1. One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
      2. One who lives according to the teachings of Jesus.

Catholics are Christian
      I have a pretty good idea what Catholics are, I am a Catholic school survivor. A Christian is anyone who has accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, which Catholics most certainly do. Any other differences in Christian teachings split the denominations, but a Christian is a Christian. My 71 year old mother would slap the shit outta you for calling her unchristian.
      But I didn't say that I was calling myself unchristian (or Catholics unChristian) xD
      I said Catholic Christian didn't I? o-o
      Last edited by TooFarAway; June 13, 2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
        Nope..
        xD You should search the differences between Catholic Christians and other denominations of Christians.
        I assure you we have differences although we all believe in God and Jesus. Even if we all read the same Bible- we interpret it differently

Comment

I think the problem is that in your previous post you said Catholics and Christians have differences, as if they are two separate groups. If you meant Catholics and other denominations of Christians, I think everyone can agree with you .
          So, here you are
          too foreign for home
          too foreign for here.
          Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Catholics and Christians have a good amount of differences. We call ourselves Catholics/Catholic Christians/Roman Catholics, etc. Regardless, we differ from Christians. o-o
            I would know because we sometimes have debates on our differences in religion xD
            I know Moon already answered to this but
            Saying Catholics and Christians have differences is like saying "People and men have differences".
            All Catholics are Christians (just like all men are people) but not all Christians are Catholics (just like not all people are men, some are women or undecided).

You can't say "but I'm Catholic and he's Christian" just like you can't say "but I'm a woman and he's a human"... or you can obviously, but it doesn't make much sense.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I think the fact of the matter is that Christianity has come to mean something "different" from Catholicism. Yes, Catholic Christians fall under Christianity, but colloquially, Catholicism has almost become its own religion separate from what many people think when they think of Christians. It might be ignorant, but I grew up in a fundamentally Christian town for several years and then moved to an area where I babysat for a number of Catholic families and though they all identified as accepting Jesus etc., I do know that some of the Catholic members would be offended if I called them Christians. They might be offended if I called them non-Christian too, because they definitely identified as Catholic-Christian (key word being Catholic), I couldn't tell you, but I do know that they identified as separate from what the general population thinks of when the word "Christian" is thrown around. A lot of people here identify as either Christian or Catholic when believers of Christianity, too, and never identify as the other, so while it might be technically correct to say that Catholicism and Christianity are the same because Catholicism is a subdivision of Christianity, I think conversationally people tend to identify them as being different. Like I said, it might be ignorant and it probably is an ignorant evolution - I wouldn't be surprised - but it's what I've noticed of the populations where I have lived. Not to add fuel to the fire, but it seems people sort of jumped on her comment when her meaning and intention was pretty clear...

@OPer: You say he's not controlling but you're still doing what he asks because he believes you need to be "holy." Does that mean you're not good enough if you masturbate or that you're somehow sinful, dirty, or less deserving of him being in a relationship with you? I don't see how it's not manipulation to say you have to give up masturbation and talking about sex (whether or not either of you actually did) if you want to continue with your relationship, which is how I'm continuing to take it to mean. Using your religion against you doesn't make his case better, unless that's you using it against yourself. All I will say is that sex drive is normal, masturbation is normal, thinking about sex a lot, especially at your age, is normal. You shouldn't have to give it up just because your boyfriend does, especially since it's not even your decision...

Comment

Maybe it's all context-dependent. Where I'm from (Mauritius), the term "Catholic" and "Christian" are pretty much interchangeable, because there isn't a big population of other Christian denominations.
                So, here you are
                too foreign for home
                too foreign for here.
                Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I don't care what his reasons are, he's still trying to control your actions. He's trying to convince you that sex is dirty and wrong but its not! Its beautiful and wonderful. I think that's the one big problem I have with organized religion, they shame things are not shameful to keep you ignorant about the world. Its already got you thinking that you have some weird "addiction"when you are perfectly normal.
                  Made it official: 12-01-10
                  First visit: 3-29-13/4-09-13
                  Closed the distance: 07-31-13

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
                    Maybe it's all context-dependent. Where I'm from (Mauritius), the term "Catholic" and "Christian" are pretty much interchangeable, because there isn't a big population of other Christian denominations.
                    It's possible, though I wikipedia'd cause I wanted to do some reading up and see if there's any merit to what I've been told and how I've interpreted things, and Wiki says this:

The Latin portion of the Catholic Church, along with Anglicanism and Protestantism, comprise the three major divisions of Christianity in the Western world. However, Roman Catholics do not describe themselves as a denomination but rather as the original Holy and Universal Church; which all other branches broke off from in schism
                    so maybe I'm confusing two different variations on Catholicism and that's why I think Catholics don't describe themselves as a denomination of Christianity? IDK. ;_; This is why I'm spiritual, not religious.

And I agree with BH. I don't want to necessarily go into "omg he's a conniving, manipulating, controlling asshole!" mode but at the same time, I'm trying to piece things together when you say you're only giving it up because he wants you to be "holy," as if masturbation is dirty. O.o;;

Comment

I didn't want to start a religious debate or anything...but I guess you guys took my words the wrong way. I'll make sure to explain properly next time, so you don't misunderstand and all attack me x-x
                      Religion is a really touchy subject isn't it? ;-; *sniffle

Comment

I didn't want to start a religious debate or anything...but I guess you guys took my words the wrong way. I'll make sure to explain properly next time, so you don't misunderstand and all attack me x-x
                        I wasn't attacking you, I was pointing out an area that you may have been confused about. Personally, I'd rather learn something than be right, you know?
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                          I wasn't attacking you, I was pointing out an area that you may have been confused about. Personally, I'd rather learn something than be right, you know?
                          But I did already know the information that you posted previously....That's why I mentioned that we call ourselves Catholic Christians...
                          If you didn't misunderstand my post you wouldn't be pointing out that area in the first place x-x
                          I'll be sure to use my words wisely and explain better from now on to avoid people getting fired up...;-;..Sorry..

Comment

I hope you're not lumping me into this. I was defending you, and the others are simply carrying on an intelligent conversation. I don't see feathers getting ruffled by this at all. o.o;; So don't feel bad for starting anything because you didn't.

Comment

But I did already know the information that you posted previously....That's why I mentioned that we call ourselves Catholic Christians...
                              If you didn't misunderstand my post you wouldn't be pointing out that area in the first place x-x
                              I'll be sure to use my words wisely and explain better from now on to avoid people getting fired up...;-;..Sorry..
                              You weren't being attacked nor was anyone fired up. They were just correcting what they thought was an error in what you were saying. That's all. It's not that serious lol.

OT: I agree with what others have said as far as your SO is concerned.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
                              Back Together: August 1,2012
                              First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
                              Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
                              Engaged: January 17,2013
                              Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
                              Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
                              We Got Married! - July 3,2014
                              SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
                              Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
                                @OPer: You say he's not controlling but you're still doing what he asks because he believes you need to be "holy." Does that mean you're not good enough if you masturbate or that you're somehow sinful, dirty, or less deserving of him being in a relationship with you? I don't see how it's not manipulation to say you have to give up masturbation and talking about sex (whether or not either of you actually did) if you want to continue with your relationship, which is how I'm continuing to take it to mean. Using your religion against you doesn't make his case better, unless that's you using it against yourself. All I will say is that sex drive is normal, masturbation is normal, thinking about sex a lot, especially at your age, is normal. You shouldn't have to give it up just because your boyfriend does, especially since it's not even your decision...
                                Originally posted by Black_Halloween View Post
                                I don't care what his reasons are, he's still trying to control your actions. He's trying to convince you that sex is dirty and wrong but its not! Its beautiful and wonderful. I think that's the one big problem I have with organized religion, they shame things are not shameful to keep you ignorant about the world. Its already got you thinking that you have some weird "addiction"when you are perfectly normal.
                                Since both of these posts say similar things, I wanted to add one more thing. Sex is PERSONAL! You shouldn't do something because that's what your parents want for you, or what your boyfriend believes. It's a very personal decision and it shouldn't be decided by anyone other than yourself. If he wants to wait to have sex or do other sexy things then that's fine and it's a decision you need to agree with, as his gf. However, he shouldn't be making you give up masturbating because he doesn't want to do it.

As Pied Piper said, having these thoughts and feelings is perfectly normal. And as Black_Halloween said, sex and masturbation are not dirty or wrong. Some people may believe that they shouldn't do those things unless they're married and with a partner, but they're not dirty or wrong. Learn to love these feelings and don't let someone take control over your sex life. My mother tried to control mine and I still resent her a little bit for it.
                                Last edited by Kristin91; June 13, 2013, 07:18 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X