Some days, the distance is just hard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some days, the distance is just hard.

Dear reader: Be warned, this may be a little long-winded.

I've been doing the long-distance thing with my sweetheart for close to four years now. I know some people have had longer times apart and further distances, but I feel like four years has been enough time to give me a good grasp on what long distance is about. And ultimately, we don't live terribly far away anymore. It's a four hour drive, but we're still in different countries, and there's only so many times in a month that we can visit. I'm going to say right now that I am so grateful that we no longer have to go three or four months between visits. I know a lot of people can go longer, and I admire your strength and dedication. I would have done it for him if I had to, but quite frankly, it would have sucked.

I'm sure you've all had those people - you know the ones - that stare at you slack-jawed when you tell them you've been dating someone that far away for that long. They look at you wide-eyed, and say: 'Ohmigod, isn't the distance, like you know, hard?' I don't know about all of you, but personally, I try to be polite, and say that with wonderful things like texting and Skype, the distance isn't all that hard at all. Yes, there's bumpy patches, but the two of you care so much for each other and are so committed, that you make it work, and it's going great. Which it is. I'm sure you're also familiar with those other people, who come to you and complain about how awful it is that they haven't seen their significant other in three whole days and how the distance is driving them absolutely nutty. I know I've had those people. Again, I try to be pleasant - my favourite go-to line is: 'I understand. Any sort of distance can be hard'. Which is true, but only partially true.

For the most part, we as long-distancers keep our chin up, and keep looking for that silver lining, even when those clouds look like they're going to unleash a freaking typhoon on our asses. We have to. It's how long distance works. While I don't believe that a long distance relationship is more likely to fail than a close-distance one, I do believe it takes a certain degree of strength and determination to be in one in the first place. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back, you deserve it for making it this far, and for cresting the waves of obstacles you've been confronted with (doesn't matter if the waves are only kiddie-pool sized, you better still be patting yourself on the back).

But one thing I've really noticed in the past four years is that unless they're in a committed, long-distance relationship themselves, most people don't understand what we go through. If you describe it, often times they assume you're overreacting (hence the overly polite comments I love to give to people). Sometimes, they just don't understand. It's like a bear trying to explain to a shark that its feet hurt. It's not because the person is trying to be ignorant, or rude, it's just human nature to not truly understand this sort of relationship unless you've experienced it firsthand.

In my own experience, loving from a distance has turned out great. My sweetheart and I are engaged, and looking at finally closing the distance. It's wonderful. After he proposed, I realized that I was never able to let myself believe the distance would eventually be closed for good. If I did, I was never happy with what I had, and I was too busy lamenting what I couldn't have. I can't be the only one who's felt this way. For all of you who have come to that point where you realize that yes, you finally get to be together in the same place, it's a crazy, overwhelming thing. For those who haven't gotten here yet, keep on doing what you're doing. If both of you are committed, you'll get there. Most days, the long distance is wonderful, and you can't imagine ever doing things differently.

But some days, distance just sucks.

What I would really love to do is to tell people that yes, long distance is hard. Skype is not enough to replace the feel of a hug. Texting can't take the place of their voice. And while distance of any sort is tough, there is a distinctive ache that comes with being apart for so long, especially when you don't know when you'll see your love next. You don't just 'get used to it', because every time you meet, you fall in love even more. It makes the goodbye that little bit harder each time. There are days where you feel jealous of the couple in the mall holding hands. There are times when you barely get a chance to talk to each other, and you end up feeling lonely, and upset and hurt. There are days you just wish that someone you talked to really, truly understood what it felt like.

But you know what? We get it. Everyone here, on this forum, has been through times like this. So keep your chin up and keep smiling, because even though there are days where you would happily swap your left kidney for a hug from your significant other, most days are good. You're a strong person, and even though things might look hopeless right now (or not, depending on who you are), it will all turn out all right.

TL;DR: Long distance is great, but sometimes it really stinks.

Sighhhhhhhh, Amen.

Comment

I agree with every word that you typed. Very thought out, and written well.

Comment

UGH when other people judge us for our relationships, acting like we don't understand and they do, THAT annoys me so much.
        Hardly any support, plus most people including my parents act like it isn't a "real" relationship. They say things like "well that compared to a real relationship...". And I say, "just because I can't see him every day means our feelings aren't real? So all the visits we have are just pretend? We kiss and hug (when we can), talk to each other daily, don't see other people, and are very happy to be with each other. How is that not real?"

Comment

This is fantastic! You basically said a lot of what I feel sometimes. You totally summed up my frustration! I liked what you said when people ask if the distance is hard. I want to be like oh no, it's just so easy! I'm a sarcastic person by nature haha.
          I can be pretty dramatic too and sometimes when I talk about my relationship, some people think I'm being dramatic. But I'm not. The distance sucks. It hurts like hell being away from the person you love.

I think the thing I hate the most is when people suggest that you find a BF that's closer. I don't want some average joe who takes me to dinner and calls me a few times a week.
          I want love and passion and excitement and someone who gives me butterflies every time we reunite! And that's what I have <3
          This website and community of support has been such a blessing! I don't feel like I'm alone. And that makes being LD a little bit more bearable!

Comment

Originally posted by kikidee View Post
            UGH when other people judge us for our relationships, acting like we don't understand and they do, THAT annoys me so much.
            Hardly any support, plus most people including my parents act like it isn't a "real" relationship. They say things like "well that compared to a real relationship...". And I say, "just because I can't see him every day means our feelings aren't real? So all the visits we have are just pretend? We kiss and hug (when we can), talk to each other daily, don't see other people, and are very happy to be with each other. How is that not real?"
            I've definitely had that too. There's also the ones who act like the relationship only counts when you're actually 'counts' when you're together in person. The ones that tell you: "you've been together for a year? But really, it's only more like 4 months because of how much time you spend together, right?" Really doesn't work that way...

Comment

Originally posted by sarahjane1992 View Post
              I think the thing I hate the most is when people suggest that you find a BF that's closer. I don't want some average joe who takes me to dinner and calls me a few times a week.
              I want love and passion and excitement and someone who gives me butterflies every time we reunite! And that's what I have <3
              This website and community of support has been such a blessing! I don't feel like I'm alone. And that makes being LD a little bit more bearable!
              I hear ya! Distance sucks but at the same time, there's a bit of a thrill to it. And we don't start long distance relationships because it's easy, we start them because we fall in love.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalla View Post
                I've definitely had that too. There's also the ones who act like the relationship only counts when you're actually 'counts' when you're together in person. The ones that tell you: "you've been together for a year? But really, it's only more like 4 months because of how much time you spend together, right?" Really doesn't work that way...
                ^ Ugh, this. I get this ALL the time. From Everyone. It's beyond annoying.

Comment

Thank you for this, it's truly brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalla View Post
                    I hear ya! Distance sucks but at the same time, there's a bit of a thrill to it. And we don't start long distance relationships because it's easy, we start them because we fall in love.
                    Exactly. Once me and my SO were getting more serious, I flat out asked him, would you date me even though I'm so far away? He said yes, without hesitation. and we've been together for almost 6 months now. Has it been easy? No. Worth it? Absolutely! I love my SO more than anything and the time we have together is worth the time we spend apart. <3

Comment

Thank you so much for this... I just got back from seeing my hunny for the weekend, and that overwhelming feeling of heartbreak is hitting me like a train.

Thank goodness for this forum... Thank goodness for all of you who are going through the same thing...

Comment

Wow, amazing post! I remember when we first started dating all people around me were like, "America? There's lots of cute guys in the Netherlands!" Lol, I didn't choose to fall in love with a guy across the Atlantic, now get off my back and let us be happy together.
                        When we got engaged within a year most people reacted, "You lost your mind?" I mean, I didn't expect EVERYONE would react with joy and stuff, but who are those people to decide when I should be happy? It really upset me for a while.
                        It's beyond frustrating, but I think most of the people around us/me see we're really happy together. Fortunately, I have some great friends and family who support me and are happy for us.

Comment

Every word of what you said is so true!

My brother lives in Prague but when he visited in Summer he told me it's about time I found myself a proper boyfriend. His comment really hurt but I just tried to ignore it. I ws really angry with him, for so many reason.... but I guess at the end of it, He is my Brother and I guess trying to protect me
                          I've been lucky and had some ace support from the people I work with... who he used to work with..
                          My best friend has also been great, I know she doesn't him or doesn't like the fact that he left, but she will never tell me that. My other best friend however was not so nice when I told her Steve was going away for 10 months.. her text to me was rather nasty to me.

haha! I get what you mean with the people who complain about not seeing their SO's. I used to work with a girl who lives with her boyfriend and she would often complain about only being able to see him for a few hours the previous evening, I found it frustrating, but would try to make me feel better.
                          ”I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever. I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love. I vow to love you, and no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find a way back to each other.”
                          The Vow

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Such a great post. You completely read my mind! The distance is so incredibly rough at times, but I wouldn't change my relationship for the world <3

Comment

Working...
                              X