Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ive been in a relationship for 2 months, is it too early to be engaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
    And divorces aren't expensive always/in every country. Mine cost 140 €. (A lot less than the wedding)
    The more you own, the greedier & the more bitter you get, the more it costs.

Bringing up children is just as costly as you make it.

Ha I randomly looked up how much it is in Estonia and I'm really surprised... only 25 euros to get divorced and 19 euros to get married well more like to get the papers) :O
    Last edited by wayoutofhere; January 30, 2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wayoutofhere View Post
      Ha I randomly looked up how much it is in Estonia and I'm really surprised... only 25 euros to get divorced and 19 euros to get married well more like to get the papers) :O
      Yep the administrative fees. I forgot to add the price of postage though.
      And again a thread that started out about engagement, went through marriage and ended up in divorce...

Comment

In Germany the cost of divorce depends on your income and of course whether you need one lawyer or two.
        More expensive then getting married in any case (if you only consider the adminstrative fees obvs). Now I'm kinda wondering whether it's possible to get divorced abroad.
        (I'm too scared to ask my SO, he'd probably get a heart attack )
        Last edited by Dziubka; January 30, 2014, 04:07 PM.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
          In Germany the cost of divorce depends on your income and of course whether you need one lawyer or two.
          More expensive then getting married in any case (if you only consider the adminstrative fees obvs)
          Ah do you know why it is based on the income? In Estonia if both want the divorce then it is really easy and cheap. Lawyers are only involved if there are arguments about money etc.

Comment

In Norway you dont pay any fees at all, nothing for marriage and nothing for divorce. You don't need a lawyer for divorce unless you really disagree on child custody, if both agree you hand in the papers, if just one file for divorce it is not really any different.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Ah do you know why it is based on the income? In Estonia if both want the divorce then it is really easy and cheap. Lawyers are only involved if there are arguments about money etc.
              It's based on your income because your (both spouses' combined) income is the amount you are fighting over/the court is deciding about.
              Here's an English explanation and a calculator (I have no idea how accurate it is): https://www.langnerlaw.com/divorce_calc.php
              But in Germany you also need to have lived apart for a year, before you can even file for divorce. We evidently don't take marriage lightly

Now I *really* need to either clean my browser history or make sure my SO doesn't see it

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
                in Germany you also need to have lived apart for a year, before you can even file for divorce. We evidently don't take marriage lightly
                That is the rule in Norway, too; you must document a year of separation, unless you get a direct divorce through a trial (in cases of spousal abuse or similar). If you have children you must agree to some kind of family counselling before the divorce can be finalized.
                Last edited by differentcountries; January 30, 2014, 04:23 PM.
                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

It's starting sound that Finland is a good place to be if you want to get divorced.
                  Here you file/apply for divorce, phase I (it doesn't matter if you do it alone or together) then you have a 6 months waiting period after which you apply again (phase II) and after that it takes a couple of weeks until it is final.

I was also wondering if you can get a divorce in another country as you can also get married in another country.
                  Maybe you might have to be a resident.

I'm not 100 % sure but I think in Finland, if you have lived in separate addresses for 2 years and can prove it, you can get a divorce right away.

Comment

It's starting sound that Finland is a good place to be if you want to get divorced.
                    Here you file/apply for divorce, phase I (it doesn't matter if you do it alone or together) then you have a 6 months waiting period after which you apply again (phase II) and after that it takes a couple of weeks until it is final.

I was also wondering if you can get a divorce in another country as you can also get married in another country.
                    Maybe you might have to be a resident.

I'm not 100 % sure but I think in Finland, if you have lived in separate addresses for 2 years and can prove it, you can get a divorce right away.
                    Sounds pretty similar to Norway exept the separation period if you apply has to be a year.

Usually one can get married anywhere in the world, and also get that recognized by other countries. though there may be restrictions on gay couples and transgender couples, and most states don't recognize plural marriage. I think the rule is you have to get a divorce from the country you married in, but there could be exeptions.

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                      Sounds pretty similar to Norway exept the separation period if you apply has to be a year.

Usually one can get married anywhere in the world, and also get that recognized by other countries. though there may be restrictions on gay couples and transgender couples, and most states don't recognize plural marriage. I think the rule is you have to get a divorce from the country you married in, but there could be exeptions.
                      It might be old info also, maybe it's a year.

I don't think that is possible, I mean in situations when people fly to places like Jamaica, Mexico etc to get married there, but actually live in Europe.
                      It's probably where you are residents. But what if you are in different countries, would divorce have to be applied for in both countries to make it legal?
                      Or could you choose in which country you want to file for it and then just send in the documents to the other persons country to have them legalized/notarized.

Comment

Food for thought for US citizens about Divorce:
                        https://voices.yahoo.com/where-quickie-divorce-89.html

Looks like if you need a really quick one in USA, Talk your ex into flying to Guam, or not, to do it.
                        "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It might be old info also, maybe it's a year.

I don't think that is possible, I mean in situations when people fly to places like Jamaica, Mexico etc to get married there, but actually live in Europe.
                          It's probably where you are residents. But what if you are in different countries, would divorce have to be applied for in both countries to make it legal?
                          Or could you choose in which country you want to file for it and then just send in the documents to the other persons country to have them legalized/notarized.
                          Well what I think most people in Norway who married abroad but dont intend to live there, do is arrange to be married at a Norwegian embassy in that country. Of course if one party is from that country or you intend to live there it is easier.
                          It is possable to be divorced by post, yes, my point was you have to do it by the same law under which you got married.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
                            Food for thought for US citizens about Divorce:
                            https://voices.yahoo.com/where-quickie-divorce-89.html

Looks like if you need a really quick one in USA, Talk your ex into flying to Guam, or not, to do it.
                            I don't even know why but the thought an... anti-elopement (de-eleopement? ) is hilarious to me. I also had to look up where Guam is (they have a pretty neat flag!) and it went like
                            "ok, it's an island. But where?"
                            *zooms out*
                            more water and Northern Mariana Islands?! That doesn't help me.
                            *zooms out some more*
                            even more water
                            *zooms out even more*
                            wtf? even more water? Where is THIS?!
                            *zooms out a lot more*

Oooh, the Philippines!!

Comment

Working...
                            X