Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the longest time you can handle being with no contact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the important thing here is not really how long you go without hearing from him, but the fact that it is not agreed upon and that you are in doubt weather or not this may be part of his job. Regardless of him being busy, you should be able to get some kind of heads up about it before or during, and certainly after.

I do not survail my SO at any rate, but I know his work hours. The standard work hours are 10-22, but less in low season. I know that Sunday until Tuesday we will have probably little contact because Sundays are busy and Mondays in high season he works a double shift (10-18, one hour to eat and change and then he will work 19-02, and then from 10 the next day). Sometimes they have events on the job meaning he will work until late but he will tell me about it. Sometimes he travels but I will know. It has happened that he fell asleep right after work without being able to text me for nearly 48 hours because next day at work was busy (and I have been at his job many times, I have not doubts about the stress of his job) - but then he texted/called and apologized. 2 times I was not able to reach him because his phone was broken, within 48 hours he contacted me on Facebook. If I did not hear from him for days, I also would not hesitate to contact his friends, workplace, brothers, the local hospital etc. to make sure he was not hit by a bus and unable to contact me in any way. SO is the same; when my phone was out of battery for more than a day (I had recently moved, was tired, lost my charger and had no money to buy a new one and husband was at work) he called my husband, worried that I was sick, all three of us were soon in contact on Facebook to establish what had happend and what to do.

People are busy and things happen, but to not be in contact and give no reason why is simply not ok.
    Last edited by differentcountries; June 12, 2015, 03:57 AM.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

A day. Talking every day is absolutely essential. When she doesn't text me a day though I understand she's busy because she's always willing to talk.

Comment

I really think it depends on what you both agree upon. I can handle not being in touch for a while as long as I know where he is and that he's okay. The longest we've gone without contact was a week when he was on vacation in Mexico, and even then he at least sent me emails once a day, we just couldn't chat or call. He was even worried whether it would be okay for me, but I wanted to be sure he could enjoy his time without constantly feeling obligated to talk. Whether you are both okay with the lack of contact or not is really what it comes down to. When someone needs time off to focus on studying or to go on a business trip or whatever, I wouldn't expect constant communication, and that's alright. But we need to really be on the same page about it.

~
        It'll take a lot more than words and guns
        A whole lot more than riches and muscle
        The hands of the many must join as one
        And together we'll cross the river

Comment

The thing is, I don't really want to speak for her, but if you guys remember last time he did this, she did talk to him about it.

That's why it really bothers me he's kind of doing it again. He knows it bothers her, he knows it upsets her, and he knows she worries.

I asked my SO last night if he would ever do something like this to me (go a week or more with literally no contact), no matter what his job was (unless he was overseas and on a mission or had crappy internet). He said no.

Comment

a day or top 2 day. It's not that I'd have trust issues, but since I'd genuinely worried if he's ok. We normally talk everyday, so radio silence for 24h straight would be enough to freak me out. It's not like I can just check on him and you know, accidents happen.

Comment

There is a huge difference between knowing there will be no contact and not knowing about it. If I knew my man wouldn't be able to contact me for a month, it would be damn hard, but I wouldn't worry, because I KNEW, but if I didn't know, I would definitely worry and then get really upset once he did show up.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I can go quite a bit, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. It's hard. Really hard and the only reason I put up with it is because I strongly believe in a future in this relationship with him and I love him. Besides, I knew going into this it would be hard and the communication would be way different than anything I've previously known, so I just make sure I keep myself busy is all.
                Last edited by Unconditional; June 12, 2015, 12:09 PM.
                "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Originally posted by aleksaaw View Post
                  a day or top 2 day. It's not that I'd have trust issues, but since I'd genuinely worried if he's ok. We normally talk everyday, so radio silence for 24h straight would be enough to freak me out. It's not like I can just check on him and you know, accidents happen.
                  Yep!

Originally posted by snow View Post
                  There is a huge difference between knowing there will be no contact and not knowing about it. If I knew my man wouldn't be able to contact me for a month, it would be damn hard, but I wouldn't worry, because I KNEW, but if I didn't know, I would definitely worry and then get really upset once he did show up.
                  This is really true. It's one thing if he flat out said, "I'm probably not going to talk to you much, if at all." Rather than just disappearing.

Edit:

There's been times where my SO has told me right off the bat to not expect to hear from him, on more than one occasion. And, I don't. I would text him, but I wouldn't expect an answer from him, and I wouldn't worry.
                  Last edited by whatruckus; June 12, 2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I think unless if it were for the military or a rare occurrence I just couldn't deal with very little contact it doesn't feel like a relationship to me if I can't connect with them. And like I previously said, in today's world it is not hard to get a hold of someone. I know in the military they are denied regular contact with family on deployments, and when traveling overseas a lot of people just forego bringing their cellphone and that limits contact. But I still maintain the thought that it isn't that hard. I imagine it'd make one wonder where they stand in this person's life, especially if you're fighting for a future with them.

Comment

There's a difference between not being able to message and not making an effort and that's what gets to me. It's not hard to take 10 seconds and be like "Hey honey I'm home, sorry couldn't message you. Been a crazy day. I love you." Especially seeing as the OP's SO is a police officer. I would be worried sick and I would be pissed off. Sorry but that wouldn't work with me. A tiny bit of effort goes a long way and if he can't/won't do that, even after you've already talked to him about it, then it's not really a good sign. :/
                      Last edited by Mims27; June 12, 2015, 12:58 PM.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                      Married April 18th, 2015!!
                      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

12 hours for us. Its his rule that he has to say Good Morning and Goodnight every single day. I am way lucky that we both have jobs during the same time frame as well as being in the same time zone.
                        As everyone has been saying, there is so much technology, that IM. skype or email is available almost anywhere, anytime.
                        We communicate every.single.day. It makes it better : )
                        Last edited by sasad; June 12, 2015, 02:19 PM.

Comment

We also communicate a lot. We text each other whenever we wake up, go to bed and usually a whole lot in between. We also tend to voice chat a lot and get on cam every now and then when we feel like it.
                          We both like it that way. It makes us feel connected and I always tingle with joy when I hear my phone's notification sound. Sure, some days we talk more, some we talk less but I am fairly certain we have yet to miss an entire day.

Comment

I mean, I don't think her SO is a bad guy, but this disappearing act he keeps pulling needs to stop. Even if this were a CD relationship, this is completely unacceptable.

Comment

Yeah, it really comes down to the effort. Like I said, even with crappy hostel internet in Mexico, my SO was able to send me brief emails. They weren't long or elaborate but he took the moment to let me know he was doing well and having fun. If I didn't know beforehand he wasn't gonna be around or if he just simply didn't talk to me despite being around, I would worry sick. It's not a matter of "I need to CONSTANTLY hear from my partner!", it's a matter of "I need to know that my partner is doing alright and making the effort".

~
                              It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                              A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                              The hands of the many must join as one
                              And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
                                I mean, I don't think her SO is a bad guy, but this disappearing act he keeps pulling needs to stop. Even if this were a CD relationship, this is completely unacceptable.
                                It makes me wonder what it'd be like if they closed the distance. If he's so busy, it seems like he'd have even less time to spend with her. It'd be like co-existing in the same home. I agree that this isn't to make him look like a bad guy. I'm sure he's a good guy, but I think he is currently losing track of things, and failing at time management. I don't want to believe that he's taking her for granted. He may be, but unintentionally. It's very easy to do so when you trust your love will always be there for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X