Giving her my diary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving her my diary?

A few months ago, since many of our letters to each other got lost, my SO and I decided that whatever we wanted to write to each other, we would from now on write it in a diary, and we would read each others' diary the next time we meet.

This next time will be in exactly one month. I now have 34 pages (I expect to reach at least 40 by the time we get together) and she has... well, 4. I don't mind the difference, but I'm facing a dilemma: while I kept in mind that what I write would be read by her eventually, I can't help but think that this is a lot of unveiled mystery. In my diary I alternate between pages where I describe what I feel on a daily basis, and pages where I describe sort of a chronological story of what I felt for her (friendship, attraction, crush, growing closeness, etc.) before we were together and up to our first kiss (we met in April 2014 as she started working in my research lab, we are together since December 2015, so it's a description of how my feelings grew over time until they made me take a flight to see her 20 months later). Regarding the description of my feelings on a day-to-day basis, they are more like comments summarizing what we talked about on Skype, when I felt it was an important subject, and elaborating on that. I sometimes describe things that she did that made me really happy (like calling me in the middle of the day to cheer me up when I got a bad news), and also things that made me sad, insecure, or jealous (like her telling how great her ex was at giving massages). I also write about my hopes for our future, my fears, etc.

I don't think she will be surprised by the content regarding day-to-day feelings, since we occasionally take the time to talk openly about things we like and don't like in the other person's behavior, and promise each other to improve these things. The story of my feelings prior to our relationship may be a bit newer to her. Overall, however, I feel like this is a pretty large compilation of my feelings, in writing format, and that she could leverage it in a bad way (not necessarily consciously): by taking me for granted and stopping to make efforts, for example. I've always been told that to keep his relationship going, a man has to keep a part of mystery. I start to think that maybe this diary would be something to keep writing but give her only after a few years (maybe with a ring?).

What do you think?

Oh I thought that stereotype was about women :rolleye:

I don't agree with things like that. Sharing your feelings is never wrong. Not even in friendship. If you trust her and want to open up for her go for it.
    Also this is cheesy but: The trust is about giving someone means to destroy you and trusting they won't do it. To be in love is to be vulnerable.
    I mean of course there's no guarantee she won't let you down. But her doing it cause she took you for granted due to shared feelings? Then you'll know you were with the wrong person.

I mean you don't have to do it, if you don't feel comfortable. But don't follow some silly stereotypes, relationships are all about being open and finding human connections, well to me at least, not about some mystery games.

Comment

It's not for everyone.

My SO and I have a shared journal we send back and forth online. It serves multiple purposes. I suppose it only works since we have been cowriters for a time.

Again it depends on your purposes for sending diaries, and if you are both comfortable sharing thoughts and feelings so openly.

Comment

It seems you meant vastly different things. She wrote a summary to you once a week, like one would send a weekly letter, you wrote an actual journal with things you are scared to show. And she did it not even remotely similar. This is very one-sided and I would call it off, unless you are comfortable sharing one-sided.
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

You both have different styles. Maybe share some and not all? Or start an online one or something that's less emotional for you?

Comment

Tangentially, can I ask how some of your letters to each other got lost? (as someone who will soon be dealing with international post on the regular)

Comment

This post is from 2016, I don't think this person posts on here anymore. However, I've been in two international LDR now so have plenty of experience with international post if you have any questions
              my girls <3

Josie (SO)
              Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
              Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
              Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
              Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
              Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
              Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
              Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
              All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment