No announcement yet.

Keeping your LDR secret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom found out about him when she looked at my phone and saw a Viber message from him--at my parents' anniversary party. Awkward. My dad has known about him for a long time, but rather tries to ignore his existence. His parents know about me, as a "friend," of course. Apparently, the few pictures I posted on Facebook of us together have been raising eyebrows amongst his parents' social network, and his dad just told him that a love marriage is out of the question and he must have an arranged marriage. So there's that. Societal stigma. Hopefully time will work things out.
    sigpic

Comment

We both keep it secret, but her reason is more important. She is being stalked IRL and doesn't want the stalkers to find out about me. She tells her mom a lot of things about me, but not sure if she knows we are together. My mom thinks we are just friends and sometimes tells me that I need to get a girlfriend.

Comment

Only my family knows about him, sadly I have yet to tell my friends.. I get so nervous about it, because they don't really take LDRs seriously.
        His family knows, and so do some of his friends.

How do you deal with people that don't believe in long distance relationships?

Follow our story on Tumblr~

Comment

Originally posted by 5518MilesApart View Post
          How do you deal with people that don't believe in long distance relationships?
          The best is not to tell if you suspect they don't take it serious. For the rest, if you find out to late, just ignore the remarks on it. It's hard enough to be in an LDR without being brought down every time by others.
          Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

My relationship is not a secret but I just don't talk about. My family and best friends know but I only tell them how my bf is doing if they ask. As for others, if they ask if I'm in a relationship I tell them the truth but I don't expand. Can't be bothered with explaining that it's a LDR and then all the stupid questions that follow.

Comment

I recently told my mother about my relationship history about my ex boyfriend and that I want to go on a trip in his country. She thinks it's can't be serious since most of our relationship has been online and since we aren't together (she doesn't really understand us having been together before having met up either, conceptually) right now. And she tells me that going there alone to a guy is a bad idea and brushes the topic off most of the time. I didn't expect much else from her so I am ok with the reaction. I had told her almost nothing when he was here but I told her everything (including him having visited me) literally two days later. Also, I haven't told her that I have bought the tickets already, I don't want her to think I am an irresponsible spender and I am not sure she understands that if I don't buy tickets this early, I won't be able to go there at all. (I found them for the cheapest price I can with this route probably :3)

My father has no idea whatsoever.

My close friends know our relationship history. I am more open to mentioning it with less close friends as well lately and I mostly just brush off their negative comments. It's not negative even mostly, they just don't understand how it can work when things start online.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
                The best is not to tell if you suspect they don't take it serious. For the rest, if you find out to late, just ignore the remarks on it. It's hard enough to be in an LDR without being brought down every time by others.
                Thank you so much for your response. It sucks that I don't have friends that believe in long distance relationships.
                Our relationship is as real as any other.

Follow our story on Tumblr~

Comment

Thank you so much for your response. It sucks that I don't have friends that believe in long distance relationships.
                  To be honest, I don't think other peoples' opinions matter. If you're happy then that's all that matters, right?

Comment

Fun story:
                    There's this one guy I mentioned something about my LDR with. Then he went to explain (quite seriously too!) how hard and almost impossible it'd be for a LDB to keep being faithful to his partner. Because apparently men are like that and they need to satisfy their sexual needs.
                    I was like: "oookay" and brushed it off

To give you a better idea about the guy: he's the one who sleeps and hooks up with lots of women and is thinking about drinking/having sex all the time. Guess what? Not everyone is like that. But people have hard time understanding things that are alien to them.

It applies to LDRs as well. If you understand that someone isn't trying to be mean to you nor devalue your relationship but they simply don't get anything about LDRs, why should you let it bother you? Or even if they did devalue it and tried to be mean, still, why? You are the one in a relationship and you are the one who gets to decide how real it is or not. No one else knows your dynamics with your partner and therefore their opinions (purposely negative or not) shouldn't matter.

But no harm in not telling people either. Nothing bad about wanting to keep peace around yourself. But it's good to be prepared for it if there's ever a need for talking about it.
                    Last edited by C.C.; August 20, 2017, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honour View Post
                      To be honest, I don't think other peoples' opinions matter. If you're happy then that's all that matters, right?
                      I agree with that, but why give other people who don't (want to) understand a chance to pull you down?
                      Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Working...
                      X