Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A big step forward to closing the distance :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elina View Post
    Haa, I think we found our solution
    Is it not a bit close to the USA for you?

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
      Is it not a bit close to the USA for you?
      Kinda, but it's a different country anyway

Yeah.. I think I'll be moving to England if anywhere *nods*

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
        Might I suggest Canada? It doesn't have much to recommend it really, but the cost of living is low and it's easy to get into, and I'm here and I'm cool and would bribe
        you all with coffee. So! You should move to Canada *nods to herself*
        Haha Miriam! Great idea!
        maybe you should write a book about it...

Comment

Lol Tanja, I'll put it on the list with all the other books I need to be writing.

Don't worry, Canadians are so paranoid that people will think they are American that everywhere you go you see their symbol. Even the Mc'Donalds M has a maple leaf on it! There's flags everywhere (No, really!) and I swear at least one in every ten people is wearing a piece of clothing that says "Canada" on it. So, defiantly not America! (I wouldn't move to America either, no offense intended!)

Seriously though, I hope you all start seeing some good options soon. This stuff is crazy!
          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Seriously though, I hope you all start seeing some good options soon. This stuff is crazy!

Thanks Miriam (everyone else seems to call you that, so I will too If that's ok )

Me and Elina might have a little thing about the US where er.. we dont really like it (but shh ) so Canada would be a better option for us I know what you mean about the flag thing. Everytime you see a picture from Canada, you can garuntee there'll be a flag in there somewhere

Comment

I'll be honest, I vote Canada! (Shh don't tell anyone...everyone here already thinks I'm an American flag burning hippie communist who hates this country)

But seriously, Penn and I were looking into it as he was applying for jobs with companies in Ontario, Nova Scotia, and the Northwest Territories. As long as you've got a job (or the spouse/fiance of an employed) and speak English or French fluently, you're pretty much set, especially as you four do all come from EU countries.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Well, I'm not exactly the biggest patriot or anything, but it's nice to see how you all really feel about us :/ Makes me wonder how many of you have even visited here. I, as the ignorant American I must be, would never put down other people's countries of residence on a public board, because tbh, it's just rude.
                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                  Well, I'm not exactly the biggest patriot or anything, but it's nice to see how you all really feel about us :/ Makes me wonder how many of you have even visited here. I, as the ignorant American I must be, would never put down other people's countries of residence on a public board, because tbh, it's just rude.
                  Hi Moon, I don't think anyone was insulting America, only saying that they wouldn't want to move there. I'm sure no one meant it as a personal attack, rather they were expressing their opinions as to where they would like to live together. If they don't want to live in America, that's their prerogative.

I feel that the others here would agree that no one called you an "ignorant American". I also feel that implying that is our belief is insulting in itself. Maybe you could ask why people have expressed their desire not to move there, and not assume that none of us have visited America. Hmm?

Comment

What Sarah said ^

Thanks Miriam (everyone else seems to call you that, so I will too If that's ok )

Me and Elina might have a little thing about the US where er.. we dont really like it (but shh ) so Canada would be a better option for us I know what you mean about the flag thing. Everytime you see a picture from Canada, you can garuntee there'll be a flag in there somewhere
                    You can call me anything you like, except "late for dinner" because that wouldn't be true!

Originally posted by squiddie View Post
                    and speak English or French fluently,
                    "Fluently" also seems to be taken very lightly, at least in BC.

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                    I just knew someone would get offended.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't generally have a problem with Americans as people - I have quite a few American mates. You're people just like anyone else. We all bleed the same blood. *Shrugs*
                    I do have a problem with your system of government. I don't like the way wages are dealt with and the whole tipping system. I have issues with your education systems (especially in the south) and would not want my children growing up there. Your gun laws absolutely terrify me. I'm sure I could think of half a dozen other reasons too if you like.

I'd also disagree that having an opinion is in anyway rude as no one here is saying that Americans are bad people or any of that. We don't value your country in the same way you do, that's all. I'm also realistic about the short comings of my own country and my new country, but there are things people are happy to live with and things they are not. If everyone wanted to live in the same place, we'd have even more problems with overcrowding and PITA immigration laws than we already do. Glass is half full.

Sorry for the offtopicness
                    Peace & Carrots xx

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah M View Post
                      Hi Moon, I don't think anyone was insulting America, only saying that they wouldn't want to move there. I'm sure no one meant it as a personal attack, rather they were expressing their opinions as to where they would like to live together. If they don't want to live in America, that's their prerogative.

I feel that the others here would agree that no one called you an "ignorant American". I also feel that implying that is our belief is insulting in itself. Maybe you could ask why people have expressed their desire not to move there, and not assume that none of us have visited America. Hmm?
                      I never said it was a personal attack, or that anyone personally called me an ignorant American. In fact this wasn't about me personally at all, if you took it like that, you took it incorrectly. And where did I assume YOU never visited here, hmmm? There have been several not-so-polite comments sprinkled throughout the forum from time to time, I felt it was rude and I said so. You don't have to agree. I'm not going to ask people why they don't want to live here, there are plenty of places I wouldn't want to live, that's irrelevant. I'll choose to not repeat what I thought was offensive and why to those that actually wrote them through pm, if they care, rather than turn this into a spectacle with someone I wasn't even referencing.
                      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Just a bit..

We should just move to.. NZ or something and we can boh work (with both speaking the language and all ) ..then move to Finland after living there for a couple of years of living together

Yeah, I'll suggest that to Elina 8) haha
                        Yes move to New Zealand :P

Comment

I'd also disagree that having an opinion is in anyway rude as no one here is saying that Americans are bad people or any of that. We don't value your country in the same way you do, that's all. I'm also realistic about the short comings of my own country and my new country, but there are things people are happy to live with and things they are not. If everyone wanted to live in the same place, we'd have even more problems with overcrowding and PITA immigration laws than we already do. Glass is half full.
                          I can accept that. Everyone's going to have different opinions, and in my humble opinion, blind patriotism is not a good thing. There are things I love about living in the US (hey, I love the South, and education issues are spread throughout the country, not just here), and there are things I hate. I'm sure everyone feels the same way about where they live.

I can also honestly say that I don't think I'd want to live in another country. There are countries I've visited and loved, but this is home, and it always will be. It's not a slight against any of the other 191 UN-recognized states, it's just that I want to live in the US, despite its many drawbacks. I'm sure it's the same with everyone here, even those who are planning international moves.

(And yes, I'm sure that whole "blind patriotism is not a good thing" bit is just adding fuel to the fire. But that's what I believe.)

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

What Sarah said ^

You can call me anything you like, except "late for dinner" because that wouldn't be true!

"Fluently" also seems to be taken very lightly, at least in BC.

I just knew someone would get offended.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't generally have a problem with Americans as people - I have quite a few American mates. You're people just like anyone else. We all bleed the same blood. *Shrugs*
                            I do have a problem with your system of government. I don't like the way wages are dealt with and the whole tipping system. I have issues with your education systems (especially in the south) and would not want my children growing up there. Your gun laws absolutely terrify me. I'm sure I could think of half a dozen other reasons too if you like.

Sorry for the offtopicness
                            Peace & Carrots xx
                            Every country has its own issues, that's beside the point, unless you're determined to debate, but honestly, does it really matter? I would never spew off Canada's issues to you, I assume you are well aware of them without any help from me. I've been to Canada, it's a nice place, and I'd never want to live there either, but I'd keep it to myself. I believe I've seen a few "ewwww....America" type things from you in particular, I get it, you don't like us, but is it necessary to make it so blatantly clear? The worst part of this is that I'm not even one of those "US is the best!" types, I'm very critical of my country, it's culture and politics, so if *I* was getting tired of it, I'm sure I'm not alone. And why would you say I think you should put any value on my country? Bit of a stereotype, dontcha think? I don't expect anyone to value my country, especially when they don't even live here. It might be trendy to bash the US these days, and we get to hear all about it whenever we leave our coasts, but that doesn't make it less rude. An opinion can be rude, especially when you said you knew someone would be offended.

Comment

Originally posted by squiddie View Post
                              I can accept that. Everyone's going to have different opinions, and in my humble opinion, blind patriotism is not a good thing. There are things I love about living in the US (hey, I love the South, and education issues are spread throughout the country, not just here), and there are things I hate. I'm sure everyone feels the same way about where they live.

I can also honestly say that I don't think I'd want to live in another country. There are countries I've visited and loved, but this is home, and it always will be. It's not a slight against any of the other 191 UN-recognized states, it's just that I want to live in the US, despite its many drawbacks. I'm sure it's the same with everyone here, even those who are planning international moves.

(And yes, I'm sure that whole "blind patriotism is not a good thing" bit is just adding fuel to the fire. But that's what I believe.)
                              I'm no blind patriot and I would move to another country in a minute, if it wasn't for my daughter being here. I just get tired of always hearing how horrible the US is wherever I go.

Comment

Mate you seem determined to argue today. I'm not sure why, but obviously I've offended you more than once in the past so it's good you're getting it off your chest.

If you've read anything I've posted in the last year you'll see very clearly that I don't particularly want to live in Canada either. It grows on me slowly, but that's mostly because my choices are limited. I'm here because my boyfriend has a big family and I don't. That's it in a nutshell. Would I love Obi less if he were American? No, of course not. Do I value my American friends less than my other mates? Again no, that would be just stupid.

For the second time I don't have a problem with Americans. There's nothing wrong with Americans inherently as people. Yes, there are times when I don't agree with things I see in your culture and I don't want to move to your country and I have the balls to say it to you. That doesn't mean I like you less as a person. All I did were give you perfectly valid reasons why some people might not choose America because you seemed at a loss to why people are saying "I don't want to live there." I'm not bashing America or your people, if you like I can give you an example of what bashing your country would look like, for the sake of comparison.

I'm going to point out one thing - The US is the leader of all things Westernized. It's the super power. The country that little islands like the one I hail from suck up to. You're in the spot light all the time because of this. We learn about your history and politics in our school systems, we're flooded by your media, so obviously we are going to form opinions - especially when your government makes decisions that make you look dumb on the international stage.

I hope this clears things up a little for you, but if it doesn't you can PM me or leave a visitor message and we can hash it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X