No announcement yet.

Age gap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a year older than my SO, which annoyingly, some people have judged us for. It's only a year, and who cares if I'm older than him, not the other way around?? Silly people :P

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I am 25, and he will be 25 in October. Barely any age difference, although he was a year behind me in school, because that's just the way things worked out. Friends tease us and say that I'm a "cougar", but considering that it's only a few months that's definitely not true.
      Why do you wait for me?
      How do you wait for me?
      I'm lost and alone without you here in my arms.
      I'm lost and alone without you here by my side.
      Here's a song for you, lovely
      Remember that it's for you only, for you only.
      My heart is caught in a landslide
      And it beats for you only, for you only.

-"My Lovely" by Eisley

Comment

Originally posted by Sora1101 View Post
        I get this all the time x.x I'm 17 and my SO is 22, I've even had an ex threaten to call the cops on us if we ever did anything because he was jealous. >.>

God, people are so stupid! It infuriates me when they're like that- for whatever reason. And it's not like it's any of their business. I understand if it WAS rape- but it's not and especially since my parents know about it and accept it! I understand if we were like 13 and our boyfriend was almost 30! :P but it's not like that, so grrr! haha
        sigpic
        We've been together since 10.11.10

First Visit-7.13.11
        Second Visit-12.17.11
        Closed the distance-06.20.12

Comment

Originally posted by books View Post
          Yay, another lady dealing with the age-gap thing...welcome to the forum.

My SO is the same age as yours (I'm 32)...my close friends have generally been pretty supportive as they see that I actually am really happy with him. My professional circle is a whole nother thing...a week from returning home after being CD for a few months, I went out to lunch with a former coworker and got called a "cougar" for the first time (to my face). Kinda killed my good mood...I definitely have become a little on edge if relationship talk comes up b/c if I tell people I'm in a relationship, the first question they always ask is "What does he do?" Then if I say "Well, he's still in university", they then ask me how old he is, judgements come up, I feel uncomfortable. I recently showed a coworker a pic of him that I had on my phone. She said "Wow, he looks young"..I admit I fudged on his age and said he was 24, then she said "Oh well, that's not that big a difference". I then felt bad I even did that, like it's not my problem if people don't approve, right? I really don't understand who decides if the difference is too big or acceptable or what. I just know my SO treats me so good, he is way more mature than my ex who was older than me! He tells me all the time not to let what others think bother me. I admit I am sensitive in that aspect.
          Thanks for the welcome

I can relate completely to what you said. My SO is still in school AND lives with his mom while he works part time to put himself through school. I'm not embarrassed at all by the point he is at in his life - he's exactly where he should be because he's 21. However, I'm always afraid people are going to judge me. But like you said, it shouldn't be my problem if people don't approve.

I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life. He treats me so good. My SO is so much more mature than any man I've ever dated. Oh - and the plus, he doesn't have all the baggage and heartache of past relationships gone bad. He's open and willing to love.

So...if falling in love with a man that loves me that happens to be younger than me makes me a cougar - then, I'll wear that label proudly.

Comment

We have 5 yrs between us. I don't think that is too bad.

Comment

My SO is 17 years older than I am. The funny thing is that I used to say that I would never date a guy date a guy 10+ years older than me but when he came along all my rules flew out the window.
              sigpic

Comment

Love all the comments guys. My SO's oldest sun is about 13 and the other is 12 and I just turned 20 on the 24th. I don't mind, but I'm not sure how his older boys would feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey's bird View Post
                  My SO is 17 years older than I am. The funny thing is that I used to say that I would never date a guy date a guy 10+ years older than me but when he came along all my rules flew out the window.
                  That is the most important part of it all. Age difference doesn't matter as long as you love each other and you know that you are in it for the right reasons

Comment

Are there other couples in here where the woman is older than the man?
                    My SO is 27 and I'm 22.

Comment

me and my so have a 3.5 year age gap. I was 15 when we got together and he was 18, nearly 19. Even now im 16 and he is 19. My parents didnt really mind - which i was surprised about My friends were mostly ok about it with the odd person who said some nasty stuff but most of my friends have older bfs so :P

Comment

Originally posted by MrSilens View Post
                        Are there other couples in here where the woman is older than the man?
                        My SO is 27 and I'm 22.
                        Yup! I'm 34 and my man is 21. There are some days when he acts older than me. We trade places in maturity sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by yayagrl View Post
                          That is the most important part of it all. Age difference doesn't matter as long as you love each other and you know that you are in it for the right reasons
                          Exactly, that's how I feel. One of my friends kept saying that he's going to be 50 soon and I'm still not 30. I had to tell her that I'm happy and I'm the one with with and I don't have a problem with his age so I don't give a shit what anyone else say/think.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X