Saying "I love you"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saying "I love you"

Who said it first? Where did it happen? How long into the relationship did it take to be said? Does one say it more then the other? When do you usually say it?

After waiting a year for him to spit it out, I finally had to bite the bullet and say it first. As soon as I said it, he said it back like no big deal. We were skating in the mountains and I was so nervous, then he had the nerve to say he was going to say it there too! I could say it ten times a day but he isn't big on saying it so I feel like I always have to hold back. Which is weird for me cause my family says it all the time to each other. The only time he says it is before he leaves for work...and I think it's more out of habit. Ah well, I know he loves me...he just doesn't use his words to show it.

I can remember who said it first. I used to say it more, but he says it more now that he's moved. I feel if its said too much it can lose meaning. So I've been trying not to say it to much.

We went on vacation together and were able to relax and said it more in one week than he had in months because we were both away from stress and had alone time.
    " There is always hope.
    "

Comment

Ha, I love this thread. I said that first at least.

My SO said it first, but we were at that point where we were pretty much saying everything else but - I adore you, I love you being in my life, I love talking to you etcetc. It was two weeks before our second visit together, about four/five months into the relationship. I was walking to work and we were having a conversation - I don't even remember what about - but apparently I said something to him that made him feel that sudden surge of love you sometimes get, and he just sort of spat it out unceremoniously. I was quiet for a few minutes while I processed it. Told him I wasn't ready to say it back. He said he totally understood, and just wanted to say it to me. But then about ten minutes later I had a similar splurge of love vomit and said it back, anyway. I still don't know if I was ready to say then, but it just sort of fell out of me because it felt right.

I have always held it over him for not waiting the TWO WEEKS to say it to me in person. That was when I was waiting to say it, anyway. The boy has utterly no patience.

Now, we're both comfortable with saying it - although, sometimes he says it so much that I tell him to stop, because I'm scared of it losing its 'specialness'. I probably should stop doing that, because I do love him and love hearing it. I dunno, I just don't ever want it to be conversation filler. I want us always to mean those words.

Comment

I said it first. Loic and I had been dating for just about 2 months, and he had stayed the night. We both woke up at 6am, because I had to leave early that morning to go catch my bus to Belfast, starting our transition into LD. I already knew I loved him, and had been trying to work up the courage to say it for a week... I started by saying "I think I'm falling in love with you" and he said "Me too." And then I said "Ok, that's a lie... I love you" and he said "Me too" back again! I was a bit sad he didn't say the exact words back, but I knew he meant it. We both giggled a bit and then started sobbing, haha. He said it properly to me a bit later when he dropped me off at the bus stop.

I definitely say it more than he does - I'm the same way with saying it a lot to my family, and trying to hold back saying it all the time when I'm with him! I tend to say it when I particularly feel it, and he says it back. He only really tells me he loves me first when I'm upset about something or having a hard day, but he shows it in lovely ways

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
        Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I said it first. We were together in my bedroom at school before we went LD. I leaned over and kissed him and said it. He said " Well.... I think I do". I told him to wait until he was ready. The next three months sucked hardcore. I cried myself to sleep a lot, but didn't say anything to him about it. I was totally heartsick. At the 9 month mark, he finally said it back to me. We'd been LD for 3 months by then.
          "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

I still don't understand how "I love you" can lose its meaning if neither person have stopped putting meaning into. My partner and I have said it very regularly for over several months by this point - it was said before we became an official couple, I believe after/at the end of a disagreement (maybe even an argument). I said "I love you, pup. :P" considering I call him my Irish Wolfhound, which I had to explain when he asked "pup?" but after my explanation/reminder of him being my pet (tehe), he goes, "Okay. Well I love you too." - and it's never lost its meaning for either of us or become any less special, even though we're keen on saying it even a few times a day. I suppose it's seen differently by some couples, but I figure don't say it if you don't feel it or mean it, and you're golden. ;]

In person, I believe he said it first, but to be honest, I can't really remember where it came out of or what we were doing at the time. o.o I imagine it happened when we were snuggling, but I'm not 100% certain; maybe he'd remember more than I would. We said it a little less IRL than we do online, but not by much. And he was still more the initiator on that one, I think. For me, I'm the type who likes to write the "love you"s and fancy love letters and so on and so forth, but it's a lot harder for me to articulate my feelings in person. I feel them, for certain I feel them, but I get nervous, so sometimes I'm shy to step up there and say "I love you" every time I'm feeling it.
            { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
            Met online: February 2009
            Feelings confessed: December 2010
            Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
            Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
            First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
            Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
            Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
            Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
            to be continued...

Comment

He did. On teh web, cause we've never been anywhere else. Took awhile, basically when we started figuring out our feelings meant something despite the distance. Try to keep it about even on who says it almost always in those little moments... where whatever they've just said or done is completely amazing, and it's the only thing your heart even wants to say. Or after a hilarious joke sometimes XD

Comment

We said it the day after we admitted feelings for each other. We say it freely and gratuitously whenever we want and never hold back. When we're together in person we say it even more. It never loses its meaning and neither one of us ever gets tired of hearing it. It's the only time in my life I could truthfully say I never got tired of someone saying it to me, and he never gets tired of me saying it to him.

Comment

We have always said it quite often. He has a fear, probably from the death of his brother, that he won't say it and something terrible will happen. So we always say it when we hang up the phone or go to sleep, just in case.
                  He said it first. We were close distance for a long time so we said it first in person. He was holding me while we were watching a movie and he whispered it in my ear. I said it back and we kissed. It was very special. It was quite early in the relationship (I guess because we were young) but it hasn't backfired yet!
                  Last edited by floridaellen; September 25, 2011, 07:22 PM. Reason: forgot to add about the first time we said it :]

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                  Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                  Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                  Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                  Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

My SO said it first. We were in his car in front of the house where I was staying. It was the last time I was going to see him before I went to Peru. I started crying (it was also about 3 weeks before I was leaving Costa Rica after having lived there for a year, it was quite an emotionally confusing time. Anyone who has lived abroad knows this feeling.) and told him to never leave me alone. He said he wouldn't and then told me he loved me. We constantly say it back and forth all the time. He's definitely a flirt. That's why I love him so much!

Comment

Lol im sad to say i can't remember! I think it probably was the same day he asked me to be his girl? But i can't remeber, im asking him now as i type this. I remeber him asking me to be his and being so happy and saying yes. I remeber first time he went on webcam, i remember our first kiss, i can't belive i don't remeber saying i love you for the first time. But we tell each other that we love each other daily. throughout the day. I don't think it gets any less special or loses its meaning. I still get butterflys when he just stops and says my name and that he loves me. Or it makes me feel special and comforted when i come online and he left me a message saying he loves me. Once i went off and he didn't say he loved me after he said bye and it felt wrong, and i had to come back on, lol so yeah it means alot to me. I love him so much
                      I love you Nathan <3
                      sigpic
                      5/25/09 <3

Comment

He said it first after 3-4 months of dating! He said it a couple hours before we had sex together for the first time, so it was romantic.

Comment

Who said it first? I'm pretty sure I said it first although he says he did. Who knows :P
                          Where did it happen? From what I remember I said it over text, he says it happened in an MSN convo.
                          How long into the relationship did it take to be said? We both agree on the 1-2 month mark.
                          Does one say it more then the other? I feel like I say it alot more than he does, but every time I say it he always returns it so I don't mind saying it more.
                          When do you usually say it? I usually say it when I feel especially lonely or if we're having an intimate conversation.

Notes:
                          Met: 8.17.09
                          Started Dating: 8.20.09
                          First Met: 10.2.10
                          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

He said it first. after talking for two months online we met in person at the 27 of december. i know it was between the 29 and 31 of december, because i know for sure it wasnt the day we first met (27) or the day after (28), and it surely was before the new year. we were in the elevator of the building my aunt and uncle lived in switzerland and snogging and he looked into my eyes and said it. i said it back to him, it was trully beautiful. <3
                            our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

He said it first. I think we had been together right around 2 months and we were in bed sleeping. We both kind of woke up at the same moment in the middle of the night and as I was trying to get comfortable again, he pulled me tight into his arms and said it. I was really taken aback but a few days after I said it back. Now we say it to each other constantly...in text, on the phone..the best is in person though (obviously).

Comment

Working...
                              X