Promise rings :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promise rings :)

My SO and I decided to get promise rings, we decided to buy our own so we would like them and they would fit right as my fingers are very tiny lol.

Heres what I got.

https://www.polyvore.com/sterling_si...ng?id=23860816

I love it, right now its on my middle finger, I need to get it resized so that it will fit on my left ring finger.

the original price was $45.00 but I got it on sale so it was only $19 something I love it.
    " There is always hope.
    "

How ironic that you posted this...I'm literally talking with my boyfriend about this RIGHT now and was just considering posting a topic on it xD I like the idea of them but I don't want it to detract from the eventual engagement ring. And I don't know, as I work in jewelry something feels a little less special to me about cheap rings you can just waltz into any ordinary store and purchase. I know that sounds spoiled and/or shallow but I'd want it to be something a little more special than that.

Comment

I think promise rings are nice, but not for everyone. I used to believe in promise rings until me and my SO had a debate about them and he eventually changed my mind. The first ring my SO believes he should buy for me is the engagement ring, because that's the ultimate promise ring...next to the actual wedding band. The more I thought about I figured meh, that does sounds pretty legit. But it looks absolutely stunning and not a bad price either
      .We've Closed the Distance.
      no matter where i am, no matter where you are
      i'll be there when it's over baby - cause i was there from the start
      no matter if i'm near - dont matter if you're far
      all you do is pick the phone up baby & i'll be there when you call

Whenever you need me, whenever you want me,

Comment

My SO and I gave each other promise rings in August.
        Mine:
        https://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/store...%7C15064.20789

and his:
        https://www.kay.com/webapp/wcs/store...55.15097.15481

We both wear them on our wedding ring fingers since that's where they fit best. They're a daily reminder of our future together.

Comment

aww those are so pretty. We both got matching bracelets, and its cute cause my SO is into it as much as i am, he even made sure we wear it on the same wrist. And so its the kind you tied, so i super glued it on us lol So i think its special, daily reminder of each other. And promise to one another.
          I love you Nathan <3
          sigpic
          5/25/09 <3

Comment

I had a promise ring before my SO and I had our quick break up. I actually lost it in an airport :/ It made me so upset. It loved it.
            When my SO and I got back together, he sent me another ring :] It's a cheap one for now but he hopes to replace it after a little while. Just a difficult financial situation right now. It may seem too soon but it's more of a promise to overcome the distance as well a pre engagement ring. I still don't know which hand to wear it on!
            https://tinypic.com/r/2ntk37d/7
            Last edited by floridaellen; October 2, 2011, 09:23 PM. Reason: picture was too big so just a link!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
            Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
            Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
            Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
            Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I bought myself a claddaugh ring as a quasi-promise ring when my SO and I first got together and wore it basically nonstop for years. It must have worked because we got engaged in early September I still wear it occasionally on my right hand though.

Comment

My SO and I have promise rings We had cheaper ones when we were younger. Mine was two hearts and in the middle of each heart was our birth stones. His was a ring with our birthstones in an alternating pattern (there were 4 total). We loved them because our birthstones go well together. I'm aquamarine and he is alexandrite (which is a very faint, light purple). We wore these on our right ring fingers because we were so young at the time.

When we turned 18, we got more expensive rings as sort of an informal engagement. Mine is a white gold ring with three diamonds in the middle and 3 little diamonds on either side of the set in the middle. There are little hearts on the crowns of the main three and on the inside of the ring is an engraving saying "Past, Present, Future". I got him a gold ring with little diamonds in a diagonal pattern. We wear these on our left ring finger.

We plan on one day combined our promise rings together and our two informal engagement rings together to give to our children one day when they are older to show that they can do anything they set their hearts and minds too, just like mom and dad. Gah! I'm getting all teary-eyed!

Your promise ring is gorgeous though!

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Comment

My SO and I are exchanging promise rings on our anniversary at the end of this month. (: Though I've always avoided sterling silver, gold is sooo expensive right now and we're just poor college students, so we agreed on sterling. But last night I took another peek at the ring I bought for him last month, and it looks a bit morphed now -- and I haven't even given it to him yet -- so I really regret it. ): Urrgh; that's what I get for buying a $150 ring. -_-

Comment

He gave me a promise ring on our first anniversary. It's really nice, it has our birthstones in it. And I told him that (because we're both poor college students) he shouldn't worry about an engagement ring, because the promise ring will work just as well and he shouldn't spend the extra money on me. <3

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                      How ironic that you posted this...I'm literally talking with my boyfriend about this RIGHT now and was just considering posting a topic on it xD I like the idea of them but I don't want it to detract from the eventual engagement ring. And I don't know, as I work in jewelry something feels a little less special to me about cheap rings you can just waltz into any ordinary store and purchase. I know that sounds spoiled and/or shallow but I'd want it to be something a little more special than that.
                      The way you phrased this, it's bound to make someone feel bad.

My ex husband proposed marriage with a ring from a freaking arcade. As in, he traded in the tickets he won playing skee ball and such. I didn't take it off until we upgraded to an actual diamond years later. It was special. A bread twist tie can be special if the intent behind it is sincere and maybe the only option a guy has - yet he wants his girl (her girl, his guy, whatever) to feel special, know they are loved. If that is what they can manage, most people would treasure it.

I don't think I've ever directly responded to a post of yours, but this struck a nerve. Not because of my first engagement ring, I will love that n matter what anyone thinks... but because I think this could really hurt someones feelings.

Also, I am not calling you spoiled or shallow. Want whatever you want! I am only answering because of the bit about cheap rings you can just buy, and wanting something more special. It really kind of puts down others, imo.

Comment

I received a ring (we don't really call it a promise ring) from my SO this year when
                        we started into our second long distance relationship. In my family it's not common
                        to formally get engaged and I really don't expect an engagement ring (should we
                        decide to get married someday in the future)so that is why my SO chose this moment in time.

My ring is titanium with two diamonds. It is very special to me because it signifies
                        our present states: We're separated in distance but as the ring connects on the
                        bottom we're still together at heart. And as the material is incredibly strong and
                        tough so are we. I also love that the ring looks rather modest and is somewhat
                        low-key. It's a single piece.

Comment

Do you guys wear your promise ring on your left hand or right hand?
                          I am still debating what to do!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                          Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                          Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                          Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                          Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                            The way you phrased this, it's bound to make someone feel bad.

My ex husband proposed marriage with a ring from a freaking arcade. As in, he traded in the tickets he won playing skee ball and such. I didn't take it off until we upgraded to an actual diamond years later. It was special. A bread twist tie can be special if the intent behind it is sincere and maybe the only option a guy has - yet he wants his girl (her girl, his guy, whatever) to feel special, know they are loved. If that is what they can manage, most people would treasure it.

I don't think I've ever directly responded to a post of yours, but this struck a nerve. Not because of my first engagement ring, I will love that n matter what anyone thinks... but because I think this could really hurt someones feelings.

Also, I am not calling you spoiled or shallow. Want whatever you want! I am only answering because of the bit about cheap rings you can just buy, and wanting something more special. It really kind of puts down others, imo.
                            Well I didn't mean anything by it. What I meant, as I explained it to my boyfriend, is that I get in quite a few guys who come into my store, quickly scan over the rings, pick out one and if it's the right size then that's that. There's no thought behind it. No comparing rings or decisions to be made. It's just in-out-done. And I have a feeling this is done BECAUSE we sell cheaper rings that guys can just pay for right then and there. And that? Yeah, it doesn't feel special. Instead, it feels like a duty. Like a man (or woman if that be the case) is buying such a glitzy ring as a duty, like it's an afterthought because their girlfriend back home has been asking and he wants her to be quiet.

I certainly don't sit around scrutinizing or even caring what rings other people wear and once again, for the millionth, billionth, trillionth time, I didn't post this with the intent to hurt anyone's feelings or put down folks with cheaper rings as I hope this clarified as to why I just personally would not want a ring from the type of place I work at. Every time I look at it I'd be reminded of WORK and how often so very little thought is put behind the purchase of those types of rings. Maybe it's wrong of me equate thought=price, but I'm basing this off my personal experience that with a slew of glittery, pretty yet cheaper rings more often than not they are bought on a whim (especially those last minute Valentine Day-ers, gotta love em) and as an act of responsibility, not love.

Edit: and just to clarify, I don't personally believe more expensive=always better either. I likewise get in a lot of women looking for a cheaper ring so they can wear it on a daily basis as they're too afraid of losing their 18k, diamond, etc. etc. ring, in which case I also make a mental note that this is not the situation I would like to place myself in. To be too afraid of losing such an expensive ring that it sits at home constantly is odd to me, especially as we're not exactly rolling in the dough. I have explained to my boyfriend that I'm not asking for a $2,000 ring as like those other women I would be too nervous to wear it and in that case what's the point? A ring is a physical symbol of your love and commitment to one another and its primary purpose is to show that status-if I wouldn't wear it for fear of breakage or loss I would prefer not to have one. For us, the $100 ballpark is pricey and I'm fine with that (and refrained from mentioning someone else's post that directly implied that a $150 ring was "cheap" even though it pretty much also struck a nerve that any ring my boyfriend might get me would be seen as low quality).
                            Last edited by Rosebud; October 3, 2011, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I wore mine on my left ring finger for years until I got my engagement ring. However, if my promise ring had a diamond or looked a lot like an engagement ring, I probably would have worn it on my right hand to avoid lots of questions. Not that I was embarassed of our relationship, but I was in college and didn't want to cause a stir. He proposed this September (after I graduated this past May) and I flash that ring to EVERYONE

Comment

Working...
                              X