No announcement yet.

Promise rings :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heh. I just bought a cheapo claddagh ring from a little stand set up at the college where I work, just because the woman saw me eyeing them and asked if I had a boyfriend. I said I did, so then she did the hardsell on a claddagh. Which I bought hook, line, and sinker, lol.

Told my SO, "now I have something to look at everyday that reminds me of you!" And he's taken that as a hint, even though I didn't really mean it as one. Yes I'd like a ring (or anything from him), but I honestly wasn't fishing. Well, looks like the ball is rolling now. Heh.

Comment

/gone
      “There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.”
      ~Washington Irving

Comment

I´m thinking about buying mine one for our 1 year next month! It´s meaning (love, loyalty, and friendship) is the very essence of our relationship :3 And I have always worn one my aunt gave me ages ago, so then we would match at least :P I´m just pondering over whether or not to get something engraved in it right now...

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
        -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
        \

Comment

My promise ring is just a simple silver claddagh ring. He knew I liked them and the symbolism behind it so when he went to visit canada one year for winter break(he lives in canada, now!) he bought me one. It recently broke, just cracked right down the middle somehow. It is still connected so I wear it but i'm afraid i will lose it. It was all planned since we were exchanging rings. I got him this really nice silver band and tried to engrave it but he told me to save that for the real thing. He ended up losing it...we broke up for a couple of months and he let his friend hold on to it for him and I guess she lost it...):
          Doesn't really bother me, now. I don't need a ring to know he loves me!

Comment

Just ordered him one! It´s a surprise (though we talked about it before) It´s a nice manly claddagh ring with My Angel in Irish engraved on the inside :3 I SWEAR I´M IRISH lol. I plan on giving it to him when I surprise him in 2 weeks with a visit. Oh this kid is going to kill me! xD

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
            -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
            \

Comment

Sorry to be resurrecting a 10 day old thread but...
              We ordered a promise ring last night!
              My SO gave me one back in high school. I wore it everywhere, including to prom. I ended up losing it at an airport when going to my college orientation. I cried horribly about it. We really miss that ring. So we ordered the same ring again today. I'm very excited! It's not a surprise; we ordered it together because he asked if I wanted it again and I was like OMG yes! I also ended up saving seventeen dollars on it, love coupons.
              I hate my birthstone (November - Topaz) and it's supposed to be a birthstone ring. So we got April (diamonds) for both, which is his birthday month. It looks a lot clearer in person, I promise.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
              Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
              Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
              Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
              Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

That is an amazing looking ring

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

That is adorable :3
                    This may sound silly but a lot of promise rings have different meanings and vary from person to person. So what does it symbolize for you and your SO?

Comment

I got my SO a promise ring, ours are matching to the exact band. I feel bad because i took my gay friend out shopping with me and he told me to get my SO one that looks just like mine (and he helped me pick the girliest one, ofcourse because it matched mine).
                      My guy got his ring today and he did say it was to girly.... but he loved it anyway and told me he will always wear it. It makes me happy, but i do wish that we had planned it a bit more to make it look like he had SOME say in what he had to wear hahaha.
                      I know we havent been dating for long, but im sure we can make it to years just like most of the couples on here. You have to start from somewhere, right?

Comment

Originally posted by meo View Post
                        That is adorable :3
                        This may sound silly but a lot of promise rings have different meanings and vary from person to person. So what does it symbolize for you and your SO?
                        Some people use them as "pre-engagment, we're going to get married" rings but that isn't what mine symbolizes. We figure when we want to make that committment, I'll get an engagement ring. We talk about a future, but it's not set in stone or anything, so it's not a pre-engagement ring.
                        My promise ring during high school basically was because the other girls got to wear their boyfriends' class rings, but my SO didn't have one, so he got me a promise ring. A lot of my friends had them and it wasn't terribly important. Just a beautiful piece of jewelry symbolizing I was taken.
                        My promise ring now symbolizes, as he explained to me, that even though we have this distance between us, we love each other and will do anything to make it work. No more breaks. Just staying together despite the odds against us. It also helps to show the random college guys that hit on me that I'm taken but that's not it's primary use haha.

Comment

Do a lot of people actually go to a jewelry store to browse or shop online when looking for promise rings?

Comment

I tend to look online but that's mostly because I prefer online shopping in general.

Comment

I was just wondering because I'm thinking about doing it as a Christmas gift and I don't want her to know.

Comment

Originally posted by floridaellen View Post
                                Some people use them as "pre-engagment, we're going to get married" rings but that isn't what mine symbolizes. We figure when we want to make that committment, I'll get an engagement ring. We talk about a future, but it's not set in stone or anything, so it's not a pre-engagement ring.
                                My promise ring during high school basically was because the other girls got to wear their boyfriends' class rings, but my SO didn't have one, so he got me a promise ring. A lot of my friends had them and it wasn't terribly important. Just a beautiful piece of jewelry symbolizing I was taken.
                                My promise ring now symbolizes, as he explained to me, that even though we have this distance between us, we love each other and will do anything to make it work. No more breaks. Just staying together despite the odds against us. It also helps to show the random college guys that hit on me that I'm taken but that's not it's primary use haha.
                                My SO and I did the same thing and agreed on the same symbolism.

I actually had a promise ring before this one but....I misplaced it. He and I were very upset about it and I told him not to buy me another ring again unless we make it to a time when engagement was an option, but a month later he completely surprised me one night when I was home and gave me this one.

https://www.kay.com/product1|10101|1...2746109|15055|

Comment

Working...
                                X