Promise rings :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AshleyNicolle View Post
    Ooh! This is so nice because my SO and I have something similar to this. It's not exactly a promise ring but more of a tradition in Brazil. My SO is from Brazil, so I thought it was really cute he wanted to do this with me. When two people are dating and they want to show it's more serious, and they're ready to go beyond dating to something more, the couple can purchase silver rings to wear on their right ring finger. They're called "Alianças de prata" in Brazil, sooo if you go to Brazil you'll notice some of the younger generation wearing silver rings on their right hands. I really love the idea, even if it has no traditional meaning in my country, it was really nice of him to share it with me !
    Im brazilian, and those rings are used calles "anel de compromisso", wich is promise rings transleted.

some people do that, but is not as traditional here in brazil as you might think, anyway, i think it is just the same as the american promise rings. and so many people just exchange promise rings so thoughtfuless here in brazil that it makes me not like them, as i said in a previous post it sounds like the next step to the relationship, and some guys keep the girl for years dating just with those promise rings. sorry if im over reacting in my reply, is just i really dont like them, i think people here in brazil many times do it without thinking, just for the heck od doing so
    our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post
      Im brazilian, and those rings are used calles "anel de compromisso", wich is promise rings transleted.

some people do that, but is not as traditional here in brazil as you might think, anyway, i think it is just the same as the american promise rings. and so many people just exchange promise rings so thoughtfuless here in brazil that it makes me not like them, as i said in a previous post it sounds like the next step to the relationship, and some guys keep the girl for years dating just with those promise rings. sorry if im over reacting in my reply, is just i really dont like them, i think people here in brazil many times do it without thinking, just for the heck od doing so
      Haha, it's fine..don't worry! My SO explained to me why he wanted to buy them, because he thought it was romantic and what not, so I agreed to do it. It was still a sweet gesture on his behalf because he wore one before, with his previous girlfriend, but she was the one who wanted him to buy one just for the sake of, "it's what people do when they're boyfriend/girlfriend," rather than, what people do when they're in love..so, three months later he broke up with her, lol, so he said the next one that he wears, he wanted it to be with someone who he loved, because he'd never been in love before. I know what you're saying on guys buying them just to keep their girlfriend around or for the sake of staying in a relationship, because he's told me stories of guys who bought them for their girlfriends, go out at night to the clubs, take off their rings..then the next day when they visit their girlfriend, they forget to put on their ring, lol..so I can understand why you wouldn't like them! To me, it represents something different, because mine wasn't bought for the sake of, "everyone has one" or "my boyfriend better buy me this," mine was bought because he explained to me something that is part of his culture and said I don't have to wear it if I don't want to or don't feel comfortable with it, but mostly bought because because we really love each other. I still think it was sweet on his behalf because his intentions were good not like some of the other people who buy them !

Comment

Originally posted by AshleyNicolle View Post
        Haha, it's fine..don't worry! My SO explained to me why he wanted to buy them, because he thought it was romantic and what not, so I agreed to do it. It was still a sweet gesture on his behalf because he wore one before, with his previous girlfriend, but she was the one who wanted him to buy one just for the sake of, "it's what people do when they're boyfriend/girlfriend," rather than, what people do when they're in love..so, three months later he broke up with her, lol, so he said the next one that he wears, he wanted it to be with someone who he loved, because he'd never been in love before. I know what you're saying on guys buying them just to keep their girlfriend around or for the sake of staying in a relationship, because he's told me stories of guys who bought them for their girlfriends, go out at night to the clubs, take off their rings..then the next day when they visit their girlfriend, they forget to put on their ring, lol..so I can understand why you wouldn't like them! To me, it represents something different, because mine wasn't bought for the sake of, "everyone has one" or "my boyfriend better buy me this," mine was bought because he explained to me something that is part of his culture and said I don't have to wear it if I don't want to or don't feel comfortable with it, but mostly bought because because we really love each other. I still think it was sweet on his behalf because his intentions were good not like some of the other people who buy them !
        Thanks, im grateful you didnt take it the wrong way, and its exactly that. i am sure is different with your so, specially because he is in love with you and he said he never felt like that before, but as i saw people having 3 different girlfriends every year (or boyfriends) and having exchanged promisse rings with all of them, i think it got banalized for some people you know? while for others, specially females, they go around saying they are engaged or already married, lol evn though the guy only considers it an ordinary ring, so i think it causes many misunderstandings and too much hassle, so i think its cute when the people that use them really mean it, as an actual promise ring, a promise that there will be other rings, engagement and wedding bands, to substitute them in the future, not just for using them.
        btw, from where in brazil is your so from? im from amazon
        our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

I find this an interesting topic on the whole.... American wise - I think it is more common for our younger age bracket. To be perfectly honest, I just ordered a promise ring from Ireland for my SO who is in Japan - and very much Japanese. We love each other.. like no one we've ever loved before. He gave me a moon song - something he didn't even do for his ex wife. And while he has bought a fair amount of jewelry for me - he hasn't bought a ring. The moon song is a recent gift.. and very old culture.. and.. it's very special. I ordered the ring afterwards. It's engraved with words I do not take lightly at all. Be rest assured when he receives it, it will come with a detailed letter explaining it, and why I did it, and what I'm promising to him. (We're neither one spring chicks lol).

I utterly agree though that the meaning should be discussed - and I think this holds true even if it is the same culture - or across two very different cultures. But those are my thoughts on it.
          “There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.”
          ~Washington Irving

Comment

I love it!!!! my bf gave me a promise ring before I left and I wear it on my left hand ring finger. when he proposes (hopefully on his visit up here) I will wear it on my right ring finger on occasion.

Comment

I was thinking of buying a promise ring for my SO this up coming Christmas but there is so many opinions about them and I don't want the meaning to get misconstrued. It makes sense to me because I am absolute in love with her and she is everything and more to me. We are both young (18) and in our first year of college so definitely not ready for marriage for a little while. I mean it would mean a lot to me and her since we know the meaning would be more of, "I promise to be your everything even if I'm so far away." I want to talk to her about it but it may ruin the surprise so I don't know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Reuschel View Post
                I was thinking of buying a promise ring for my SO this up coming Christmas but there is so many opinions about them and I don't want the meaning to get misconstrued. It makes sense to me because I am absolute in love with her and she is everything and more to me. We are both young (18) and in our first year of college so definitely not ready for marriage for a little while. I mean it would mean a lot to me and her since we know the meaning would be more of, "I promise to be your everything even if I'm so far away." I want to talk to her about it but it may ruin the surprise so I don't know what to do.
                I just tell her the meaning behind it when you gave it to her. When my SO and I had to go long distance he gave me a very nice ring and told me what he meant by giving it to me. It was a very romantic and lovely gesture. I love the ring and wear it always.

Comment

I am really considering of getting my bf and i a promise ring, but i just dont know how to bring it up to him we been together for 7 months, we are in love with eachother and havent had a huge fight. I want to get him a promise ring to show him how much i love him and want to spend the rest of my life with him but how do i bring it up? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by kiara_silver View Post
                    We both got matching bracelets
                    thank you for a christmas gift idea!!

my SO got me a promise ring!! it's actually an engagement ring, but it was only $40.00 so we didn't think it would count. i love it <3

https://www.overstockjeweler.com/ste...src=GoogleBASE

Comment

thompsongazelle1 that ring is absolutely gorgeous!!!
                      Do you have issues with people thinking its an engagement ring though?

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                      Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                      Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                      Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                      Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

the promise ring my bf gave me is in my avatar picture.

Comment

I'd die of happiness if my BF gave me a ring, but that will never happen. :P

Comment

Here's the promise rings Chris and I gave each other on the beach when he came to visit =)
                            We bought them from Zales

Comment

OH OH OH OH OH!!!! It's so PPPRRREEETTTTYYYY!!!!!!
                              Congrats!

Comment

My boyfriend and I did matching bracelets as well, not necessarily to signify the exact same as a promise ring but still to signify our devotion to, and love for, one another, in addition to being something of a promise. Though I wouldn't mind a promise ring, I also feel that it would merely be symbolic of a love and devotion there already exists between us. All of your promise rings are beautiful!
                                { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
                                Met online: February 2009
                                Feelings confessed: December 2010
                                Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
                                Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
                                First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
                                Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
                                Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
                                Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
                                to be continued...

Comment

Working...
                                X