Month anniversaries... is it important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month anniversaries... is it important?

My SO and I have been together 10 months tomorrow. Its not that we make a big deal about how many months it is but we defiantly make note of it to each other and after our one year we would not really pay attention to the months. My friends who are in CD relationships say it makes no sense... but i think that is because they see their SO basically everyday.

Obviously we will make a big deal about our anniversary after we have been together for a year but is it stupid to notice the months until then?
    Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

It depends on the couple. Some people make a bigger deal out of monthly anniversaries than others, but I don't think it's stupid to notice. If you want to make note of it and it's important to you, more power to you, that's great that you and your SO are compatible in how you celebrate that. It's whatever works for you both.

I do think that, after one year anniversaries, monthly anniversaries are more likely to go unnoticed, but that's just been my experience. My girlfriend and I are like you and your SO - we'll notice the monthly anniversaries, but we don't make a big deal out of it. And as we've neared a year together, the month marks have gone unnoticed a bit more.

Oh, and congrats on 10 months tomorrow! My anniversary with my SO is tomorrow, too - one year! ^^

Comment

YAY!!!! Congrats to you too. Yea... like i said, we just make note of the months until we hit our one year and then after that neither of us think there is a reason to say "happy one year and 2 months." But I think it is a big deal to be able to stay together because though all relationships take work, LDR's take a different kind of work.
      Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Absolutely not! My SO and I do month anniversary things all the time! We have done them since the beginning of our relationship! When you are in a LDR, it is wonderful to celebrate those little anniversaries to celebrate how far you've come (even if it is a month apart for each). My SO and I use to make date nights for our anniversaries on Skype. We cook dinner separately and then eat together on Skype. Afterwards, we watch a movie on Netflix (or play video games). We proceed to end the night on a romantic note and fall asleep together (we both have AT&T for our phones so we can stay on the phone all night without cost).

CD relationships don't fully grasp what little things you do in a LDR. None of my friends who have CD relationships fully understand why my SO and I have our little dates/etc. They simply don't understand. If it is something exciting that you and your SO want to share together, go for it! Make it something special and something to look forward to! Absolutely NOTHING wrong with that Congratulations on your 10 months!!

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Comment

We started as a CD and during the 1st year we used to celebrate every month, like we went to a nice restaurant and he ussually would give me flowers or chocolates But when we got to the 1st year I told him we don't need to celebrate each month, so we don't do it, we just say to each other "happy year and x months" but nothing else. It is actually cool because like he doesn't have to give me anything for every month he just give me flowers and chocolates randomly which is a really cute surprise
          We have more or less a month and a half being LD and we are getting close to our second year anniversary so I'm really exited and I'm planning to go to visit him for that

I don't care if it makes or no sense to your friend the way you and your so celebrate it! Who decided to do it that way are you and your so, then just be happy with that, you and your so are on the same page and that is the important part

Comment

Okay I think that in a LDR monthversieries mean alot more, because it is more difficult and you dont see each other on a daily basis. Where as in a CD I find me and my SO will acknowledge them but we dont celebrate. I think 6 months and 1 year is the standard significant numbers for CD. But I think its perfectly normal and encouraged in a LDR. And by the way congrats! c:
            .We've Closed the Distance.
            no matter where i am, no matter where you are
            i'll be there when it's over baby - cause i was there from the start
            no matter if i'm near - dont matter if you're far
            all you do is pick the phone up baby & i'll be there when you call

Whenever you need me, whenever you want me,

Comment

For the first year of my boyfriend's and I relationship, we had a little celebration each month. We would spend the day(or afternoon if we were in school) together. It's been about 2 and a half yrs now and most of the time I don't even notice the month anniversaries any more. If I do I make sure it tell him it's been 2 yrs and # of months but that's all that happens, especially since we are long distance now. I know this sounds bad, but I've kind of lost track of how long we are dating. Oops! Maybe because I've realized that for US, it's not important how long we have been together when we will be together until the end. We try and celebrate our love all the time, we don't need a certain date to do that. That's just us, though. . I think it's a great idea to celebrate your "monthiversaries." I thought it was something that almost all couples did up until a year. I guess i was wrong!

Comment

I celebrate monthaversaries with my SO, although we are now not sure what our anniversary date should be because we broke up for a little bit :/ But I think celebrating the time is a good way to bond.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

THANKS EVERYONE! This is what is so great about LFAD! We all understand the little things that come with LDRs that people in CD relationships don't understand.

Comment

We always say that the 28th of the month is our day. [Our anniversary is August 28th] Even though we don't really celebrate months anymore though we did in the beginning, every 28th of the month feels special because it means we've been together another month.

Comment

I don't think it really matters after the first year.

My SO and I "celebrated" (aka just wished happy x months) our monthly anniversaries until our one year, but not after that. Even as the years have passed, we just exchange cards on our yearly anniversary and try to go out for dinner.

Comment

I think like its been said, it depends on the couple. We didn't celebrate every month, but i was aware after he told me our official date we got together, when it was getting closer. I wanted to celebrate it when we got to 6 months, So as time went by i'd be like 4 months!! 5 months! lol but we just celebrate the yearly dates. 8 months till our 3rd year anniversary woo! lol yeah still far but can't wait, i'll get to celebrate this one in person!
                        I love you Nathan <3
                        sigpic
                        5/25/09 <3

Comment

It might be important to some couples. I don't think my SO and celebrated month anniversaries. One of us might have commented about it, but we never made a big deal about it. I don't think it's stupid if other people want to celebrate them though.

Comment

Originally posted by threecheers9980 View Post
                            It might be important to some couples. I don't think my SO and celebrated month anniversaries. One of us might have commented about it, but we never made a big deal about it. I don't think it's stupid if other people want to celebrate them though.
                            Likewise. Although I do joke about how we are coming up to 2 and a half years soon

Comment

No it's not stupid. If you want to celebrate your relationship then you should. I missed out on a lot of my anniversaries. We never really kept track and didn't really know when it was. We didn't know our friendship would turn into a 12year relationship. We just started celebrating our anniversary a couple of years ago when we came across our first emails to each other. Hopefully we'll be able to close the distance soon and have another anniversary to celebrate. Congratulations on your 10 months together.
                              Kimberly J
                              https://kimberlyandvernon.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X