How man LDR's have you ever been in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How man LDR's have you ever been in?

This was just a random thought I had, and I was curious about it so her, why not post it? I know LDR's are an interesting concept to everyone because of their situation, and I also know that some only try it once and then give up, while others will try LDR's several times with people because they keep metting people who they connect with and just happen to live far away. I've only been in one LDR, and after the way it just ended, I am currently debating whether or not to stay open to the idea of personally getting involved in one again. Eitherway, this thread is to share how many you have been in and why and any additional thoughts to your or other people's answers

I've only been in one. I don't think its really a debate to whether you would do it again, I met a guy and we could have gone LD but he just wasn't worth it so we didn't. Just cause one LDR didn't work out doesn't mean another would turn out anywhere close to the same. If you meet someone that is worth it, then it just happens. I don't think anyone seeks out an LDR.

Comment

I've been in three... My first LDR was really long and really fulfilling, but we broke up because we were young and did not have the resources or ability to see one another. The one before my current LDR was terribleterribleawful for numerous reasons. It ended horribly and I swore off ANY relationship for a few months while I pieced my life back together and focused on me. It was an incredible period of growth, but then I met my current SO. I wasn't sure if I even wanted a relationship, so I actually turned him down the first time he asked... :P And I thought about it for some time. I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the whole LDR thing again. Then I talked to one of my best friends and she suggested to me that if I thought I would regret not taking a chance on him, I should probably go for it. So I did.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Two, and after the one failed, I swore I'd never do a LDR again. When I met my current partner, that changed to "I'll never do a LDR without some form of an action plan." Although everything is currently up in the air in my relationship due to the circumstances of our/his situation, I can't tell you it wasn't, isn't, and won't be worth it in the future. I met an incredible man who happened to live a little over 5000 miles away, he happened to fall in love with me too, and we decided we would make it work; being with one another was better than being without one another. But I don't feel that LDRs are any more apt to fail than CD relationships. I simply think that communication is more necessary in a LDR because of the circumstances, and I think that a lot of people have issues with that communication (excluding situations in which, say, one partner cheats on the other, but I don't believe distance makes anyone more or less likely to cheat, either, frankly) and so the problems surface quicker, and more violently, in LDRs, whereas it's easier to mask communication issues when you're CD. I honestly feel that unless two people are completely unwilling to ever change their lives for the other - though I don't think you should go into a relationship deciding who is moving where and when, I think it's important to have a discussion about it if the relationship got to that point, because you're unlikely to get anywhere if both of you have set your foot down about living where you are and are expecting the other to change their minds for you when they reach that point of being "in love enough" (unless the both of you are content with a LDR for the rest of your lives) - then both relationships have about an equal chance of making it. I don't see LDRs as being harder, I see them as, like I said earlier, bringing out the bigger issues more quickly based on the situation, but I think both LD and CD relationships come with their own sets of perks and with their own sets of issues and that just because one ends miserably, it doesn't mean the next one is going to.
        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
        Met online: February 2009
        Feelings confessed: December 2010
        Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
        Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
        First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
        Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
        Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
        Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
        to be continued...

Comment

I've been in 3. The first one I was cheated on right away. The second one we never met. The third ended up with a baby...
          Should I find myself single once more, I doubt I'd do it again. It would take quite a something to make me go back to it.

Comment

I've been in two. My first was in high school and lasted 9 months. We were only an hour away from each other. It should have ended a lot sooner than it did.

My current is my second. It's totally worth it.

I would do it again (hopefully I won't, b/c I want to stay with my boy forever) as long as the next one is as worth it as my SO is
            "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

This is my first, and hopefully my only, LDR. I've still yet to meet my SO, but I'm in deep with this boy I met online,but I'm still very happy with him, and hoping this is it.
              If for some reason this didn't work out, I don't know if I'd be up for another LDR. As we all know, they're a lot of work, and while I do believe they are worth it in the end, I don't know if I could handle the emotional strain of being so far away from someone again. I wouldn't swear off LDR's though, just as I hadn't sworn off CDR's after my last failed CDR(although I wasn't nearly as emotionally involved with the last guy), but I do think I'd be hesitant to get back into one, although more for the sake of getting back into a new relationship and less of it being an LDR.
              You never forget your first love...

Comment

Only one, my SO has been in two. His first one - was with my now 'ex' best friend, and she messed him about and was so horrible to him. He said he'd never do one again. But here we are

Comment

This is my first (and hopefully ONLY) LDR. I don't know if I could go through this again, so let's hope I don't have to! For him though, it is totally worth it 100%.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

My first. And im planning only. I don't think i would want to do a LDR again if things between us ended. I have no regrets at all and i love my relationship, but its hard emotionally not having that physical support and love. But fortunately i found someone who makes it worth it and is worth fighting for.
                    I love you Nathan <3
                    sigpic
                    5/25/09 <3

Comment

My first one was pretty good. We closed the distance and lived together for almost two years after two years distance. So, the reasons we broke up were not because of the distance, just real relationship/compatibility issues. I did swear I'd never do one again and found myself silently ridiculing people around me just getting involved in one (oh the hypocrisy) and then I fall in love with a guy in CANADA. Typical :P This one is going to be very minimum at-a-distance though (another 4.5 months to go!); after being in a LDR for multiple years before him I am not in the mood to try that again. ASAP for me this time thanks!

Comment

Only one. I wouldn't do it for anyone other than my current SO.

Comment

This has been my only LDR. And though i havent been in a position to be in another one previously but i dont think i would do it again by choice. I love my boyfriend and therefore do what i must, but if this a basic "oh i just like him and want to be in a relationship" then in no way would i do it. I agree with snow_girl, i dont think people do this by choice and it is either by chance or by circumstance.
                          Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Originally posted by kiara_silver View Post
                            My first. And im planning only. I don't think i would want to do a LDR again if things between us ended. I have no regrets at all and i love my relationship, but its hard emotionally not having that physical support and love. But fortunately i found someone who makes it worth it and is worth fighting for.
                            i agree with you. Sometimes i feel emotionally drained fighting for physical support and love from my SO. Even though we're only 115 miles apart it gets really tough at times. There are days when I get super sad and emotional because i want him to be next to me so bad..

This is my 1st LRD and i don't plan on having another one if things don't work out between us. It's so hard for me to get use to the distance..

Comment

Originally posted by kiara_silver View Post
                              ^ agree

Comment

Working...
                              X