How often do you get to see your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you get to see your SO?

I was just sitting here thinking about my SO and how far apart we are. He lives in Sweden, and I in the US, so we only get to see each other twice a year. Luckily, we are able to stay at least a month or two each visit, so that helps.

I take leaving really hard. I guess because I'm female I take it harder than him. Of course, we Skype every single day for at least 4 to 6 hours if possible. That helps, but besides that and having school as a distraction, I have actually found myself making a paper chain. I wrote how many days were left on every loop I made in the chain, and, when I finished, I had almost 200 loops. It was a very long chain! The next morning, I began to remove one link from the chain each day until he got here, and, to my surprise, that really helped me. It made the days seem to go by faster. Obviously, there were days that dragged, and I was so impatient (this happened mostly during the last month before his visit). It did help me though in some strange way.

So, I was just wondering how often other international couples get to see one another and what you do to cope in between visits?
    sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

We've known each other for going on two years and we've had two visits. But we've only been in a place where visits were even possible since March. So twice in 7 months isn't bad for being across the world and hopefully we'll be closing the distance in 3-4 months so even better!

Before this last visit, my SO sent me a post it note pad countdown to us seeing each other. It was so sweet and helped to see it getting thinner every day. Quite similar to your chain. This time apart since I left a month ago has been really hard. Lucky for us though, focusing on the fact that the next time is forever really helps. But not everyone has that.

Everybody says distraction but that only goes so far. It helps me to do little things for him and our relationship. Like sending packages. They take time and effort to acquire and put together and I like being able to focus on something "us." Maybe crafts or letters or whatever is your cup of tea would work.

Met online: 1/30/11
    Met in person: 5/30/12
    Second visit: 9/12/12
    Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

so far.... once a year.
      It sucks but for now we are not able to see each other because of work and budget : (
      ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

We've been managing two times a year, but we only get 1 week when we see each other!
        First met online: June, 2010
        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Third visit together: August, 2012
        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

We're not international but we do live on opposite sides of the country and I get to see my SO about once a year. The first visit was less than 24 hours the second a weekend and the third visit I was lucky enough for 4 whole days. It sucks but we really can't afford long visits, hotel rooms are just too expensive.

Notes:
          Met: 8.17.09
          Started Dating: 8.20.09
          First Met: 10.2.10
          Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

My SO and I have 10 months before the next visit. Her visit will last 2 months but we're still finding it really hard. She's got enough money it's just a matter of time so we are trying to cut the 10 months in half so she might visit for 3 weeks in February/March!

EDIT: To branch from the topic, how do international relationships save up for going to see each other? I save up about $100-150 at the end of every month but my SO saves up 10-20 euros every day for me.
            Last edited by jleec24; October 28, 2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I guess my SO and I are some of the luckier ones, despite me being in Denmark and him being in Japan, we see each other every other month. More precisely, we're together for around 4 weeks, then apart for around 6 weeks and then together for 4 weeks and etc.

Comment

My SO and I are 'lucky' for him being in England and me being in Holland. We do have the issue of the North-Sea between us but compared to some international LDR's I think it's a 'short' distance.

Since I moved away from England back to Holland (in August this year) we have seen each other twice.
                He came over as a surprise on my birthday in September and could stay for two full days.
                I went there last week and was able to stay for 4 full days. He will try to come over again in December/January. Two or maybe 3 months without him already seems like way too long for me...
                I really have great respect for those of you who see there SO just once or twice a year...! I wouldn't cope if I would see him that little, that's for sure..

GREAT RESPECT FOR ALL OF YOU!

Comment

We usually get to see each other every 4-5 months. We have more time than non-students to possibly visit one another, but it's concentrated.

Comment

I used to visit my SO once every nine months.....and for around four days at a time. The last time I went over I got to spend nearly three months with him, that's when we got married. I have now been back six months & I am not certain when we will be seeing each other again since we are waiting on my visa to move to the states...Could be another four to six months or maybe even longer......

Started Writing - February 2010
                    First Visit - September 2010
                    Second Visit - June 2011
                    Third Visit & His Release Date - February 2012
                    Our Wedding Day - April 2012
                    Submitted I-130 Visa Application - July 2012
                    NOA1 - July 2012
                    NOA2 - December 2012
                    Fourth Visit - December 2012
                    Closing The Distance - Watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by memyselfandi2x2 View Post
                      My SO and I are 'lucky' for him being in England and me being in Holland. We do have the issue of the North-Sea between us but compared to some international LDR's I think it's a 'short' distance.

Since I moved away from England back to Holland (in August this year) we have seen each other twice.
                      He came over as a surprise on my birthday in September and could stay for two full days.
                      I went there last week and was able to stay for 4 full days. He will try to come over again in December/January. Two or maybe 3 months without him already seems like way too long for me...
                      I really have great respect for those of you who see there SO just once or twice a year...! I wouldn't cope if I would see him that little, that's for sure..

GREAT RESPECT FOR ALL OF YOU!
                      My SO and I will be in the same situation next year! I'll be in England she's currently in Utrecht. When I have military breaks, I will be visiting her straight away and if I can get a few weekends off I'll definitely visit her one of them that I get the chance.

Comment

We've managed three times a year, but this year (landlady issue), I'm only going to be with him twice. Last time was 2 weeks in April and the next time is 2 weeks in December.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

We have been together nearly 8 months and have had one visit. We're looking at the possibility of me visiting him early next year, but we're nowhere near ready to make any serious plans about that. We are also trying to close the distance by the end of next year (I hope) if all goes well with the k1 visa application, so we will need to be able to afford to fly him out here when that happens. It certainly isn't easy!

As far as how we save... that's my biggest problem. I have not been able to save much of anything due to medical issues, etc. I'm hoping to fix that soon.

I think not knowing when we'll see each other again makes this even harder on me. Before his visit, I made a countdown calendar and marked off the days. It helped a little.
                          Last edited by stephanieaz; October 28, 2012, 04:59 PM. Reason: added something

Comment

Havent met my so yet. Just wanted 2 say we have the same avatar lol.

Comment

I too, like some others here, are "lucky" in that we don't live too far away (England/Belgium) and only go a month or two between visits

Comment

Working...
                              X