No announcement yet.

How often do you get to see your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DiMoose, I have always thought of doing that, work as long as I can than quit or whatnot to go see my SO, but I've never tried it for fear of having an even harder time at finding a job. However, I envy you getting to see your SO 6 months out of a year. I think the job thing would be worth it too.

Polona, I think it sucks that most people in the States doesn't get very many days off for vacation when, apparently, most other countries allow for many more vacation days. It honestly isn't fair.
    sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

Comment

Vanillatwilight09, its easier I think because the countires we happen to live in. Its doable Im sure everywhere, but the fact that 1 british pound is 22 mexican pesos is a HUGE part of why can do it. And We did start our own business wich gives at least me (because it's in Mexico) the flexibility to do so. And it is sooo great! Not so much when he has to leave to save some... and I have to stay on my own in our house... but as I said I KNOW it could be worse. And We actually got the idea, from the parents of my LO's friend, they're american and they work 4 months a year and live in Mexico the rest of the year on a beach resort... We thought if they could do it, it was doable, and gave it a chance... And we don't really have any major expenses... so yes.. I would recommend bottom line is there's always work, its just to consider if you're willing to take a job that's not as GREAT ad the one you could have if you settled in the 1 country. To us... is worth the sacrifice. But I keep telling my Moose... We're paying all the time we were meant to be apart in advance... so God better be keeping tabs...

Best of luck with your sequel

Comment

it's once a year for us, with the next trip planned for june at around 10 days hopefully

Comment

My boyfriend comes from Germany, but we both study in England, so he should be here most of the time... unfortunately he's had some medical problems which means he often has to go back to Germany for long periods of time as that's where he has health insurance. Luckily I get to spend as much time with him as I want when he's here! But when he's in Germany he'll be there for a few months at a time, and I can usually only visit once for a week or so. I just can't wait till he's back in February!

Comment

We just got together in October and we already have a week planned in February (for Valentine's Day) for him to come out here, then I'm going out to him for 2 weeks in April and he's coming back out here for 2 weeks in June. I don't know how long we'll be able to keep this up before we run out of money and vacation days, haha. He's been pulling overnight shifts and extra hours at work and I picked up a part time waitressing job to help pay for airfare. I'd like to keep up the every 2 months thing but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

First of all I would like to say that this threat helps me a lot. My boyfriend and I are in a relationship since May this year (not that long I know ). He was stationed in Germany and I am German so we were able to meet every weekend - pure luxury!!!

In October this year he needed to go back to the States but we were able to meet three weeks after he left. My next visit will be in 20 days on the 21st of December to spend Christmas and New Year's Eve together. I thought it was way too much time but after I read your posts I know that we are lucky to see each other that often in such a short period of time.

I already had a relationship with a guy in San Diego a few years ago. We were able to see each other 5 times in a year which was alright. The longest time we haven't seen each other was 5 months (probably the longest 5 months in my life ).

Comment

Originally posted by Hazelnut View Post
                First of all I would like to say that this threat helps me a lot. My boyfriend and I are in a relationship since May this year (not that long I know ). He was stationed in Germany and I am German so we were able to meet every weekend - pure luxury!!!

In October this year he needed to go back to the States but we were able to meet three weeks after he left. My next visit will be in 20 days on the 21st of December to spend Christmas and New Year's Eve together. I thought it was way too much time but after I read your posts I know that we are lucky to see each other that often in such a short period of time.

I already had a relationship with a guy in San Diego a few years ago. We were able to see each other 5 times in a year which was alright. The longest time we haven't seen each other was 5 months (probably the longest 5 months in my life ).
                WOW! Lucky, lucky gal! I wish I could visit my SO as often! We only got to see each other once, which was our first meeting, in May 29th 2011. We were gonna meet again in Paris in August but due to work related issues on my part I couldn't go. Again I was going to try going the 31st of Oct but Hurricane Sandy happened and I couldn't get out of the island. His work hasn't been able to let him come over either. I was going to try again for December but people at my job don't know to actually KEEP a job and they keep quitting! ( I work at the airport ). It's gonna be 6 months the 3rd of December since I came back and we haven't been able to meet. Saying we miss each other and the time apart is excruciating is an understatement. Hopefully he'll get some time off of work soon and he'll be here
                ”Distance means so little when someone means so much.”

Comment

As we are living 3 hours of flight between us, and have flexible jobs and enough of financials so we meet minimum every 3 weeks between meetings and maximum 2.5 months (and thats was like forever!!!!). And honestly saying we will be not dating if we cant see us often enough, we are not so much into LDR...

Comment

My bf and I have been together for 13 months and have been lucky enough to have visited each other 7 times and I'm going to visit him in two weeks. Two of the visits were during the summer, he came here for a month and I went there for a month. Most other visits are around a week long. The chain is a great idea though! It would certainly help the days seem faster.

Comment

I get to see him every 4 to 6 months for about 2 weeks at a time. It sucks only getting to see each other a couple of times a year, especially when we were CD for 3 years and saw each other every day before going LD. But we've made it this far and there's no turning back now

Comment

My SO and I have been together for almost two months but we were visiting each other before he asked me out so we got to see each other 3 weekends in one month, one full week in October, five days in November and next weekend he is coming up here to stay for two weeks. We get to see each other pretty often even though we are 10 hours apart. When I don't go there and he's not coming here we meet in the middle for a weekend and just stay in a hotel. That's what we plan on doing after Christmas too since we wont get to see each other for an extended period of time until maybe March at the earliest for his birthday. We haven't decided on how often we would do this yet because it all relies on him getting a full weekend off work.

Met Online: 02/2012
                        Started talking privately: 09/20/2012
                        First Met in person: 09/22/2012
                        Started Dating: 10/30/2012
                        Closed the Distance 4/24/2013

Comment

Originally posted by jleec24 View Post
                          EDIT: To branch from the topic, how do international relationships save up for going to see each other? I save up about $100-150 at the end of every month but my SO saves up 10-20 euros every day for me.
                          In that regard I have been lucky, since I have always been living with my mum during the duration of our relationship, and although I still pay rent, it's nowhere near as much as I would be paying if I lived on my own. Also, I don't spend a lot of money in general. I hardly ever buy new clothes, I don't go out drinking etc. Every little bit counts. I have had the money for and wanted to buy myself a nice camera lens for several years now, but I've never been able to bring myself to do it because that money is too important for our visits. I sacrifice buying myself a lot of things in that regard.
                          Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                          First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

We see each other every three months, or thereabouts. I think I'd go crazy if I saw her any less than that. :S

Comment

I thought I'd replied to this, but apparently not! My SO and I have gotten to see each other about every 3 months so far in our relationship, for about a month at a time (once even 2 months!) We've been very lucky with managing to piece work/school together, and we're both very devoted to saving up money to be able to see each other, and even though the flights are a pain in the ass (2 days of travelling), it's always so worth it once we're together again

Met online: February 2011
                              Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

We went LD in October, first visit was December 14th for just over a month. Next visit is potentially late April/early may so 3 to 3 half months. After that.... Who knows! But I think 3/4 months is just about still in my comfort zone. Any more (we were looking at 5) is painfully long for me to think about.

Comment

Working...
                                X