Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anyone ever needs advice about Indian, Desi, or Intercultural Relationships...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone ever needs advice about Indian, Desi, or Intercultural Relationships...

Since my SO is Indian, and we have quite a success story on our hands, I know quite a bit about navigating Indian culture and our intercultural relationship. I'd be happy to help anyone with any questions about Indian culture or society, or give any advice on dating an Indian, or if you are Indian, dating an American. Intercultural relationships are easy to navigate, if you know how to compromise.

General questions about culture or the Hindi language are also welcome.
    From America to India. ♥

To be quite honest I find your thread pretty presumptuous. Why are you implying that anyone would need help being in a relationship with someone from another culture?
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
      To be quite honest I find your thread pretty presumptuous. Why are you implying that anyone would need help being in a relationship with someone from another culture?
      Oh I don't know......dating someone from the American South, every day is a learning day

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
        Oh I don't know......dating someone from the American South, every day is a learning day
        LOL - Just dating between someone who grew up in New England and someone who grew up in the Southern part of the US can have learning to it. Thank goodness my mother is from the South so I have more of an understanding of some things.
        To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Sorry I was being somewhat facetious, I actually agree with twothree that it's a little insulting to suggest people need help. Surely part of the fun of dating someone is getting to know them and their background?

Comment

There's that, and also when someone says something like "I'm dating an Indian man, so I can help you if you're dating an Indian person" it's like... there's over a billion people in India, there MIGHT be some of them who aren't the exact replica of your SO (shocking, I know)
            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I wonder, what suggestions do you have for dating an American? I am not Indian, but I am from Europe and so we do have a different culture.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
              First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
              Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
              Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
              Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
              Married: 1/24/2015
              Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I'm a bit amused by anyone who's been in a relationship for less than a year calling it a success story. Get a few years under your belt, then presume to advise people.
                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm not quite sure how you're an "Alumni" if you still live in the US and he lives in India. The Alumni title is for those that have closed the distance already.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                    Sorry I was being somewhat facetious, I actually agree with twothree that it's a little insulting to suggest people need help. Surely part of the fun of dating someone is getting to know them and their background?
                    Oh yes, I knew you were.

I agree that no matter who you are dating, there are going to be things to learn about the other. Whether it be from different cultures or even from the same country but different backgrounds. Every relationship has different things to navigate. There are so many people in this site who are in relationships with people from different countries that I'm sure each of you have many things you could share about it.
                    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Dear lord. Must you sound so patronising, OP? Are you the "All-seeing, almighty buddha" of relationships and religions or something? Now I know why no one bothered to reply to you initially.

Comment

Yes it was an odd way of phrasing her post, but I'm sure the OP didn't mean it quite like it comes across. In any case, now the comments are all patronizing towards her and that's not quite necessary either. Let's keep it respectful

Comment

I believe you will still be listed as Alumni if you close the distance and then move back after that.

OP; I have read your blog (in addition to Turkey I also love India) and you have many fun and interesting pictures, cartoons and texts there. As a blogger, you can take on the expert approach and it is very fitting because as visitors of the site we want to learn from you. When you go in here, I hope you are also looking to learn from the many well-informed people on this site who often have more experience than both you and me in navigating the international treadmill. And having fun with distance, too...
                          Last edited by differentcountries; February 16, 2015, 04:54 PM.
                          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I can understand the need to help out others that are in your situation, but perhaps you could have made a group? For people with intercultural/indian relationships to go to for your advice? I don't know of many couples who are active right now that have either from india, but we all more or less come from different cultures. We are navigating through them with our SO's and no two people's customs/culture is the same anywhere which is why I find it difficult not to be completely insulted at your wording of handing out your advice. It honestly grates me nerves. I have no problem with people letting others know that they can come to them for advice because afterall, thet is why LFAD was formed, but the way you worded it you almost came across as we are not able to compromise with our SO's on our own (generally speaking though I understand it is more geared towards indian/any-other-culture relationships).
                            We all have to come across having different cultures, or understanding one another's beliefs/customs. That goes with having a relationship.
                            "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Originally posted by Unconditional View Post
                              I can understand the need to help out others that are in your situation, but perhaps you could have made a group? For people with intercultural/indian relationships to go to for your advice? I don't know of many couples who are active right now that have either from india, but we all more or less come from different cultures. We are navigating through them with our SO's and no two people's customs/culture is the same anywhere which is why I find it difficult not to be completely insulted at your wording of handing out your advice. It honestly grates me nerves. I have no problem with people letting others know that they can come to them for advice because afterall, thet is why LFAD was formed, but the way you worded it you almost came across as we are not able to compromise with our SO's on our own (generally speaking though I understand it is more geared towards indian/any-other-culture relationships).
                              We all have to come across having different cultures, or understanding one another's beliefs/customs. That goes with having a relationship.
                              Yes. I also agree with what Moon said. A lot of us have been in our relationships for years, and most being from different cultures. The whole point of this forum is basically what the OP was trying do. That's also why we have the "International Couples" sub-forum, if I'm not mistaken. So for me, it's a little confusing why this thread was made, specifically seeking out people dating Indians or those from another culture. I understand the idea, the thought was there, but that's why this entire community was created.

Also, it was my understanding with the Alumni thing that those who have closed the distance after living apart got the title. Not when you start off as CD, and then go to LDR, because if that were the case...many more people on here should have that title.

Comment

Working...
                              X