It's so hard when I go visit him...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's so hard when I go visit him...

I just discovered this forum today and I'm so amazed it exists!
    I can finally discuss my international long distance relationship without people telling me to break up cuz it's never gonna work.

-------------- if you don't wanna read this long thing, scroll down.

So... the problem is... when I go visit him, the majority of my time there is terrible.

Well before that, let me give you some basic details. I'm living in the U.S. and he's in South Korea. I'm 20 and he's 27.
    I'm Korean-American btw so we don't have much language problems.
    We met last summer when I went to Korea to visit a childhood friend that moved there.
    I met my boyfriend there and we ended up dating. I was unsure whether the relationship would last but we ended up dating for over a year.

So, to make the relationship even work, he pays for the plane ticket 3-4 times a year.
    Last year, I went there during spring break, at the start of summer break, and for a month after my summer quarter.
    He comes during winter break for about a week. I stay for 2 weeks spring and early summer and stay for 1-2 months late summer.

When he comes during winter, we have a super tight schedule. We have endless fun the whole time.

But when I go... he's working. leaves at like 8am and gets home at 6. He's tired.
    And I have nothing to do that whole time.
    And we even thought this through before. We thought we'd get me a gym membership so I can work out there. Enroll in some cooking classes and other fun little classes at the community center.
    And that'd be enough cuz we imagined I'd just wake up at around 10 am, slowly get up and ready. Go to those 1-2 hour classes. And other days, same thing, except I'd go work out at the gym.
    And I'd go do some shopping once in a while. Then in a little bit, he'd get off work, we'd go on a date, have dinner. Perfect plan! NOT...

Well for one thing, he ended up going on a business trip to some other part in Korea. So we ended up staying at a motel.
    And the thing is, he doesn't know how long it's gonna be.
    At first we thought it's gonna be a week. But things happened at work so it became two weeks. We ended up staying THREE weeks in a tiny motel during the month I was there.
    It was a small little town. There really wasn't much to do there.
    We couldn't sign up for the gym membership cuz you can only get the 1 month membership and it'd be a waste of money since we thought we're only staying a week.
    Even the next week, we thought we're staying three more days, ended up staying the whole week. Same with the third.
    I had NOTHING to do. I'd literally get up at around 7, watch stuff, browse the internet, SLOOOOWLY get ready (shower, dry hair, make up), then go out and have dinner with him as a date.
    After dinner, he says he's tired so we usually just go back to the motel.
    And for the third week, he was getting ready to move companies so he spent the whole time working on like three essays. So basically, I'd spend the whole day getting ready to go out and have dinner with him, eat dinner, then we'd head to a cafe where he's working on the essay and not talking to me.

I know it's not his fault. I know he didn't know he was gonna have such a long business trip. I know he's super tired from working all day. I know he's trying really hard but at the same time doing what he just has to do.
    But I feel like such a ... loser. Like I have NOTHING to do. And that month does not define my life but, at that time, I feel like my life has no meaning. Like what the hell am I doing here... in this tiny motel... doing nothing the whole day...
    waiting for him... and then have dinner and that's it! FOR A MONTH.
    It's not like we didn't know it was gonna be like that. That's why we planned stuff to do. But it was worse than I thought. Wasn't like how I imagined.
    And we really love each other. We want to make this work. So I told him how I felt. And at first, he got mad at me, saying what the hell do you want me to do. I'm trying my best. I'm tired from work. I have a lot to do.
    I honestly approached him earnestly but all he did was get mad.
    I wanted to come up with a plan but all he did was blame.
    We were right outside the motel when we fought and I just came inside.
    He came in later. He said he was sorry and he'll try harder to spend more time with me.
    I said no, that's not a realistic solution. Everything you said outside is right. You are trying your best and it's true that there's not much else you can do. Let's come up with a better plan so that I don't feel like this.
    But he, I guess, just tried to apologize and comfort me and says no, no I'm sorry for getting angry. I'm sorry for everything and I'll just try to spend more time. I'll do better.

I just let it go. I just hoped on the inside that he's right.

Blahblahblah time passes and the three weeks were over.
    and we went back to his house.
    And oh boy did I wish I was at that tiny (but clean) motel again.
    His house is a tiny, OLD studio apartment. He barely lives there. He just pretty much sleeps there.
    He eats, showers, and works out at work.
    He has no food in his fridge. His kitchen is disgusting. No pots and pans clean enough to cook anything (I don't mean dirty dishes. More like rust on the inside or something).
    And he doesn't have a bed. Just a mattress, which is placed right between his desk and closet. There's literally no room for anything. It's REALLY small.
    And his laundry machine barely washes the clothes. It just swooshes the clothes in dirty (literally gray) water for like 30 minutes. It has a clear plastic window so I can see.
    Plus, they don't have dryers in Korea. They just hang it inside... and my clothes SMELLED BAD.
    And he has like pizza boxes and trash rolling round everywhere and there's just literally trash EVERYWHERE!
    But Korea's garbage collecting system is so strict, it's bothersome.
    It's like plastic bottles, cardboard (pizza) boxes, paper, etc all in separate bins that are outside the apartments. So I can't just buy him a huge trash bin to put all his trash.

The week I spent at his house was even WORSE than the motel.
    I didn't clean it up because I didn't want to be his maid.

Now, to get into that, I'd have to go back to summer of last year. Different apartment, same conditions.
    He goes to work. I was at his house. It's Super FREAAAAKIN dirty and messy.
    I thought I'd clean it all up. So I did. And I did a splendid job. I was proud of myself.
    And then 2 days later, messy just like it was before I even cleaned it. I realized it can't stay clean mostly because 1) his apartment is so small it lacks certain things like a laundry basket to keep things clean and 2) Korea's trash system is so inconvenient there's no way to keep those things separate without them laying around the room but we're too lazy to go down all those flights of stairs at night just to throw out each and every trash, and you can't even put out trash during the weekends or something.
    And kinda more importantly, I felt he's expecting me to clean his room. Before I went to visit him during spring break, we were talking and he said he was gonna clean his room before I come.
    An hour later, I asked what he was doing and he said oh, I got distracted by something and I didn't clean my room at all! hahaha
    Yeah. That can happen. But 6 hours later, says the SAME THING. Says he didn't clean at all. He just got distracted. And he was gonna go on a business trip the next day and won't be back until I arrive.
    He said, oh well, you can clean it for me while you're at home the whole day.
    I said WTF, why would I clean your room. You better clean it right now.
    Of course, he didn't.
    I didn't want him getting the idea that I'd be in charge of the housework when we get married, so I decided I'd never clean his room ever again.

During the last week I was staying, I asked him to clean the house.
    He once again told me to do it since I'm staying home all day and I'm the one that has the problem with it.
    I said why should I clean YOUR house and the mess YOU made.
    He ended up saying okay, I'll clean it, but it was more like he's just saying what I want to hear so I'll just shut up.

But then he ended up getting really sick (no wonder. The air in that room is terrible).
    So he slept all night after work. And I ended up cleaning his room before I left cuz I felt bad for him.

--------------------------- Long story short, when I go visit him, I have nothing to do and his room is an absolute pig sty.

(It was too long so I'm posting the part I cut off to make it fit)

It makes me think that we have this problem because other couples don't stay together 24/7 in a tiny old studio apartment.
    They usually meet outside, then go to their own homes. And when they do live together, it's when they're much older and in a nicer house.
    He's 27 but it's only been a year since he graduated college. He took a year off and he spent 2 years in the mandatory army thing.
    So he doesn't have a lot of money too. I'm absolutely grateful that he buys my plane tickets. I try to cover all other costs when we're on dates while we're there.
    I work part time during school and I spend like 1000-2000 dollars while I'm there. He buys me great gifts and I buy him great gifts too.
    Our goal is to get married in about 3-4 years. Move in together after I graduate college.
    I know a lot of these things aren't his fault. I'm not trying to blame him and say he's the root of all these problems.
    He's only been working for a year now and he can't afford a nice apartment.
    He has no control over what his company tells him to do.

And, except when he's getting mad at me, he's a really sweet guy. He doesn't do anything bad. He only knows work, exercise, and me. He just plays guitar once in a while too.
    I know he does a lot for me and I'm thankful. But does that mean I have to be completely satisfied?
    I don't think it's right to spend all my time at his house but I can't afford to stay somewhere else for 2-8 weeks.
    I want to do stuff too. I don't wanna be staying home all day. But I always have to be back by the time he comes home cuz we prioritized spending time together, so that rules out going to other cities in Korea (so I can't go see my friend). And well, that's what he bought me that plane ticket for. For us to be with each other. spend time together.
    We knew I'd have nothing to do but we thought we'd be thankful to see each other, even for 1 day.
    But it's bringing us apart.

Can you make any suggestions?
    Why should I do?
    What should I do during the day while I'm there?
    What should I do about his dirty room? Either I'm not staying there or it gets clean. Getting clean doesn't seem to be an option.
    What should I do...

Comment

Hi,

when I go to see my boyfriend, he usually works. A lot. What I do on visits:
      - I study for my project
      - I read comics, novels, newspapers, magazines
      - For some reason I watch a lot of stand-up on YouTube when I visit, perhaps because Netflix does not work in Turkey
      - I listen to a lot of Turkish music
      - I do language studies (books, online learning, watching bilingual movies etc.)
      - I cook (we rent with most things included but we have bought new frying pans and so on. If his kitchen utensils are gross you could replace some of them)
      - I clean the flat. I litereally go on all floors to scrub the floors because the vacoomer is broken and I don't understand the Turkish wash system
      - I wash all our clothes. Swimwear and delicates in the sink, the rest in the washing maschine.
      - I actually think it would be easier if I could recycle the trash. But there is nowhere to put it. So there is usually a big pile of trash every day, even if some of it is just "clean" trash like glass bottles and paper. There is no place to recycle where he lives no at least. If you have to recycle to get the trash away, I guess recycle then? In Norway I do paper/cardboard, plastic, glass/metal, dangerous, and ordinary-plus I deliver old electronics to the electronical store and get money from bottles. Even at work we recycle half of that. Once you have started it is not hard.
      - I swim, walk, ride bicycle and do yoga by myself. I would pay for classes if I found something I like.
      - I cook and make desserts
      - I sometimes treat myself to spa treatments and massages. I am lucky that I get it sometimes for free and other times at discount.
      - I try out skin products, hair products, make up brands and so on.
      - Sometimes I go on day trips (I don't spent the night away from SO)
      - I am lucky enough so that I can spend time and eat at SO's work place, I like to read in the sun beds there.
      - I try out sweets and candy
      - I go to shop at the weekly vegetable and fruit market
      - I collect recipies from newspapes and magazines
      - I do most of the grocery shopping
      - I get to know the stores. I buy food and souvinires to take home, or even just look for clothes if I need them.
      - I go for walks to take pictures
      - We have a cat so I cuddle her
      - I write in my journal
      - I get to know people. I am starting to get an ok circle of aquaintances, and a few I have started to regard as my friends.I get along well with most his friends. I do services for them and so on.

"It makes me think that we have this problem because other couples don't stay together 24/7 in a tiny old studio apartment.
      They usually meet outside, then go to their own homes. And when they do live together, it's when they're much older and in a nicer house." That depends on the couple and country I guess. I moved in with my first partner when I was 20, we bought a flat when I was 22 and it was quite small and old, and we did spend a lot of time there outside of work. Usually having a spacious flat means you will live less central. I could have had a house in the countryside for the prize of our current flat, but I want to be closer to the city.

I would never ask SO to clean the flat unless he felt like it, simply because it is also my flat (I actually pay most of the rent) and when I live there, I contribute. He works very long hours and is physically tired. I would not be ok doing so much housework if the both of us were working, but I am ok with it now because I like living somewhere clean and he cares how it looks, he is simply drained. I could choose to be upset at SO because the place looks bad almost every time I come. Instead I am proud of him that he has the sense to prioritize working hard, eating and sleeping. I will do the housework because I care about him and I care about myself being in the flat. I especially need to clean the floors because that is where I put my yoga mat, which is expensive and if it gets very dirty I have to clean it and then I just as might clean the floors.

If his room lacks a laundry basket, you can get him one or get a big foldable plastic bag.

I get getting frustrated when his work plans changes. It is about basic safety and being able to plan.
      Last edited by differentcountries; September 25, 2015, 06:38 PM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

If you two were living together ( actually living 24/7, not just visits), I would say that you were in the wrong. Not doing anything all day and expecting him to clean up when he got home from work and do fun things with you wouldn't be right. With that being said, that isn't the case for you two. Yes, you are home all day and he is working but it's HIS home. You are a guest in his home. Yes, it may be nice for you to contribute to washing dishes or whatever comes up during the day, but in no way should you be expected to be his maid simply because you're there. Honestly, it sounds like a really bad habit/expectation that he's getting into. It WILL NOT change simply because you have a bigger apartment. Right now, you are setting yourself up to be the exact thing you don't want to be: a housewife who dotes upon her husband. You need to make it clear that this is not acceptable and that you expect him to pull his weight in HIS house. You are willing to help, but you are not his maid and you will not clean up after him. For your sake, I hope that when you get married and have a bigger place that this changes...but I highly doubt it will.

Comment

I don't agree. Washing everything thouroughtly is something I do as a gift to myself and him, but washing the aily dishes and keeping things tidyis simply what one does at visits...At least I do. I was raised that that is just simple curtesey, especially if you stay for more than a weekend. When I visited SO's family, his mum expected me to contribute in doing the dishes, and SO told me that when his to-be-sister-in-law stayes there, she contributes a lot to housework. I think that is just fair. Who wants a lazy guest?

Housework is work. Work is work. What is important in a relationship is that everyone do what they can. He works to he can pay to have you flown over, and still has to work while you are there, and you are upset he wants you to wash the breakfast dishes? when I visit SO, I pay for my own tickets, and my share of the rent. And I still do the bulk of housework, and run errends for him. I can't believe you are upset about his housework skills when he works (overtime?) to make you see him.
          I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
          - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Its courtesy for him to clean up his place before he has guests, regardless if it is his girlfriend or not. She should not be there cleaning.

Comment

When I go to visit SO, he still works every day. His usually works dawn to dark and then some. I do the cooking, the dishes, the laundry and the shopping while I'm there. I now drive the 14-16 hours there so I can have a car to go places while he is at work. Honestly, this is how it's going to be when we close the distance so there's no big deal in doing it now.

When I was renting the house and he came to visit, he mowed the lawn for me and cooked a few times too. He helped with dishes and we went shopping. Because he was with me and didn't have to work, it was different than it is when I go visit him. He likes to visit me because it actually allows him time off from the business because he can't do anything but answer emails and make/take calls when he's here.

If this is how he acts when you're there, you need to have a conversation about what the expectations will be if/when you close the distance. Is he going to expect you to maintain the house, do the shopping, etc? If he does, are you okay with that? Are you going to be working at that point? If you are, how are you going to divvy up the housework and outdoor chores? If he's this inconsiderate now and you're this resentful about it - is this how you want to actually live for the rest of your life?
              To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I absolutely agree that guests should help out with the house chores when they're there visiting. But I don't think he should NEVER clean his house and then expect me to clean it up when I get there.
                I am NOT the cleanest person out there. I'm unorganized a lot too. But there's a certain limit. It was an absolute pig sty. And it was painful to be staying there while I visit him. But he's fine living in such a place.
                We ended up breaking up for good today. He was tired of me asking him to do things he can not do. And I was surprised that putting the used tissue in the trash can, NOT on the floor, is something that he is absolutely incapable of doing. And I'm not even making assumptions. He literally said it is too difficult for him to put it in the trash bin. Remember up there in the original post saying his room is so small? All he has to do is extend his arm to the opposite direction to put it in the trash bin.
                Anyway, it's all over. I'm still young. There were good times. It was a good year or so. I'm glad it happened. Long distance and everything. If we lived in the same city, I never would've stayed with him 24/7 and find out his lifestyle, and realize it is absolutely not something I can live with.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, hope you're okay?

That is a tricky situation though - I have a close friend whose house is chaotically messy and the bathroom and kitchen are quite gross, & whose girlfriend I feel quite sorry for! I am a clean, tidy person so I can imagine that would be a difficult situation & definitely would have to be discussed beforehand regarding expectations.

My guyfriend is generally very clean and tidy, but he works long hours so his apartment isn't always in its best state (but definitely not a pig sty). I figure that since he's kind enough to pick me up from the airport and let me stay there, and not ask for money towards the bills or petrol, the least I can do is spend some time every morning doing dishes and cleaning up so he has a clean, tidy home to come back to after a long day at work. I'm lucky enough to have family living a half hour drive away from him, so when I rent a car for a couple of weeks I drive to visit them, and do any driving/grocery errands for him, & sometimes visiting shops and anywhere interesting. When I don't have a car, I explore the local area, take photos of the beautiful scenery, check out new food places, or just stay in the apartment and have a relaxing bath, or catch up on my Youtube videos and blogs. I agree that is can sometimes be a bit boring being alone through the day though!

Comment

Working...
                  X