Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unconditional View Post
    Whattruckus:
    Oh no, I know that PTSD happens due to many different things of course. I just wonder if Iraq has more diagnosed cases of PTSD though. Hmm. It's crazy to think about. It's a sad thing to think about really.
    According to this, about 11-20% of soldiers who served during the Iraq War are diagnosed with PTSD yearly. Gulf War vets clocked in at about 12%, and Vietnam vets are at about 15%, but they think the number is more around 30%. I imagine the statistics are probably around the same as Vietnam for WWII and WWI. I'm not too sure about the Korean War, though.
    I imagine the numbers are generally higher overall, because these are only for the people who are diagnosed, and not everyone seeks out help/is able to seek out help. I feel like the reason Vietnam vets got the added estimate is because we REALLY dropped the ball with them.

As for who is most commonly diagnosed with PTSD, it's abused children. Military vets are actually only the 4th most common.

Comment

Ya, in some ways

Comment

I am scared talking to him will make it worse the day he left I cried a little and he left 30 minutes sooner then he had been planning becauae it was to hard on him so I am afraid if I put my emotions out there he will draw further away. He has served in Afghanistan for 6 months but his job is not an overly stressful on he is a mechanic of sorts.

Comment

I would advise to always be open with how you're feeling. He is not a mind reader.

My SO suffers from anxiety and depression, it can be really hard on me when he shuts down as I always think it's something I've done. Recently we had a long and difficult conversation about it and now things are so much better. I now understand him a lot better and he feels more comfortable talking to me about his issues.

We tell each other "I love you" a lot. Lots of times a day. It's just what we are comfortable with. I don't think you can say it too much but that's just what works for us and we are both happy with that. I don't think we've come out of the honeymoon phase yet lol!!! He still tells me I'm beautiful and sends me soppy tunes and love letters and things. Hopefully that's a good sign that this will last. But, we have taken this whole thing really slow. Maybe you rushed things a little? I hope you can rekindle what you had. Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by madamerouge View Post
            I am scared talking to him will make it worse the day he left I cried a little and he left 30 minutes sooner then he had been planning becauae it was to hard on him so I am afraid if I put my emotions out there he will draw further away. He has served in Afghanistan for 6 months but his job is not an overly stressful on he is a mechanic of sorts.
            Huh. Well if he is a mechanic, then I have doubts that it's PTSD. Now, it seems more like he doesn't know how to deal with the distance after seeing you. Aka the "post-visit blues", as we call it. Unless, he's a mechanic that travels with the units out in the field. Still need more info. How long is his deployment? You said he's 6 months in. Is it 6, 9, 12, 18 months? He could also be realizing that he's still got a few more months before the next visit, because of his deployment and when he gets home. I assume this first visit was during his r&r?

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
              Huh. Well if he is a mechanic, then I have doubts that it's PTSD. Now, it seems more like he doesn't know how to deal with the distance after seeing you. Aka the "post-visit blues", as we call it. Unless, he's a mechanic that travels with the units out in the field. Still need more info. How long is his deployment? You said he's 6 months in. Is it 6, 9, 12, 18 months? He could also be realizing that he's still got a few more months before the next visit, because of his deployment and when he gets home. I assume this first visit was during his r&r?
              Hes almost 3 years into the army and he is not deployed right now. He had been last year for 6 months. And it was a two week vacation and not sure if he goes in the field when he was deployed.

Comment

Originally posted by madamerouge View Post
                Hes almost 3 years into the army and he is not deployed right now. He had been last year for 6 months. And it was a two week vacation and not sure if he goes in the field when he was deployed.
                So, he is stationed in Germany? Or, that is where he lives? I'm confused now.

Again though, I'm going to say that it's starting to seem maybe you guys rushed into the relationship, or he has the post-visit blues. Either way, I still think you need to talk to him about it. What's the harm in talking to him about it? That he distances himself even more? He's already done that. If you're afraid it's going to make him break up with you, wouldn't you rather know now than later? It's not fair, or nice, the way he's treating you and acting towards you.

Comment

Working...
                X