Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titles

So as some of you know, I've gotten engaged! Things are so great, and its been announced and we went and got him a ring, just im on cloud 9. Now heres a question. Do you instantly introduce and call eachother fiancee or fiance? Would it bother you if you were still introduced as girlfriend/boyfriend? I mean, after being engaged i been introduced as his girlfriend. Idk... Just cause I would introduce him as my fiance. He doesnt introduce me as his girlfriend, but he doesnt correct anyone if they assume, and his mom introduces me as his girlfriend today. And just idk. He isnt shy about it or embarassed about our engament thats not a issue its just the titles. Plus were not getting married for another 2-3 years, so maybe im pushing to much or getting ahead of myself? But we are engaged :P
    I love you Nathan <3
    sigpic
    5/25/09 <3

I wouldn't worry about it. I think if you are having that long of an engagement the use of the term fiancee would wear off and not seem so exciting after years of use.

Comment

I agree with snow_girl. I feel like if titles are that important to be used, then perhaps the engagement should have waited, since the marriage isn't for another few years. It's also a recent thing, and old habits die hard. It's possible it's still sinking in with everyone, and maybe they're even experiencing the same confusion as you are as far as what title goes where.
      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
      Met online: February 2009
      Feelings confessed: December 2010
      Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
      Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
      First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
      Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
      Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
      Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
      to be continued...

Comment

When I first moved here my boyfriend's mom introduced me to her friends as her exchange student. S: That did not go very well with either of us.
        But, since you guys are having a long engagement you have time to gradually shift into the different titles, I wouldn't worry about it. (:

Comment

Aww... That's so exciting! Congrats!

Maybe it will just take a little time for that to sound natural to them?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it too much either.

In my boyfriend's country/culture, it's sort of customary to introduce any long-term, steady partner as "fiance/e". Even if there aren't any plans of marriage whatsoever, girl-/boyfriend doesn't sound very serious enough to them.
            My boyfriend's mum introduces me as her "future daughter in law" or "[boyfriend's name]'s fiancee" all the time and his grandparents keep asking about his fiancee as well. I used to want to correct them all the time and be like "Wait a minute - no one's anyone fiancee here! I'm the girlfriend until he pops the question!" until my boyfriend told me that no one's expecting any rings or proposal stories. It's just that girlfriend in their culture/language sounds a bit like we were kids.

Soo... I know your situation is the other way round, but in the end, it's only titles. You have years to call each other fiance/e and when you start planning the wedding, you'll be getting addressed as fiance/e often enough

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

In Spanish there's not really a word for "fiance", they all kind of mean "girlfriend". Even the word "bride" is the same word as girlfriend/fiance. So I don't think titles/words are really that important. You got a ring on your finger and a man that loves you, that should be enough, right?

Comment

I agree with the posters above. If it starts to bother you more, at least you've got time to start using the title fiance

Oh, and congratulations on the engagement! So exciting! You should post a photo of your ring on the Engagement rings thread

Comment

No im not upset, I was just curious, with such a long engament im not expecting to be talking of marriage with anyone other then my SO right now. It was just today when his mom said to someone this is his girlfriend, so i thought i'd post a thread about it. We need the time being engaged to prepare for our wedding, and for our families to digest our relationship, so the long engagments good for us. I just get silly, like all fuzzy when i get told congrats on getting engaged, or when someone wants to see the ring, and so I do like it being known that my SO is mine, and he's a soon to be married man lol
                  I love you Nathan <3
                  sigpic
                  5/25/09 <3

Comment

Hell I still sometimes slip and call Obi my boyfriend! Most of the time someone corrects me haha. But yeah, if someone else slipped and called him that, or me his girlfriend I doubt I'd care. I look really young, most people at work think I'm still in high school and a lot of the time I don't correct them. So when Obi comes through the store they'll say "if that your boyfriend?" and I'll go "Yeah, something like that!"

However, if his family or my family were doing it, yeah I think I'd feel differently about it. I'd feel less accepted, not taken seriously. I'd probably be asking him on the side to gently correct her or something.
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

When I was visiting my fiance this year, I still got introduced as his girlfriend a couple of times even though we've been engaged since January and are getting married next year. I agree with the others. It's not a big deal. Sometimes people forget, especially when it's new. I understand the being excited and wanting to show off your ring. It's fun, and it's still new. Congrats on the engagement!
                      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                      Made it official: September 17, 2010
                      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                      Got married: November 21, 2012
                      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                        In Spanish there's not really a word for "fiance", they all kind of mean "girlfriend". Even the word "bride" is the same word as girlfriend/fiance. So I don't think titles/words are really that important. You got a ring on your finger and a man that loves you, that should be enough, right?
                        Well, actually there is a word for fiance in Spanish, but most people won't use it since it sounds a bit dated or old-fashioned, the word is "prometida" for her and "prometido" for him, but yeah, you're right, in Latin-american countries once you get engaged you're still a "novia" xD.

now back to the topic...

Congratulations on your engagement!! I wouldn't worry if people won't instantly start using your new titles, it's something they have to get used to, and i think you'll find yourself changing titles all the time because you'll have to get used to it too... I've heard guys calling their brand new wife "girlfriend" after a couple of days/weeks of being married and the other way around too, plus I agree with the posters above, if it's a long engagement the title would kinda wear off...

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

In the first couple of years of our relationship, my mum kept introducing my SO as my "friend", even though we'd been together for quite some time. It bothered me quite a bit.

After getting engaged in January, my fiance and I have called each other boyfriend/girlfriend to each other and other people, but it's simply because we've been calling each other that for 6 years, it's a hard habit to break. I found it a bit strange at first to call him my fiance, but I don't use it all that often anyway.
                          Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
                          First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

Everything's already been said, but congrats! =D

Comment

hehe I used to call my SO "Boyfriend" instead of his actual name, it took MONTHS to stop calling him that! He'd always correct me "I'm not your boyfriend anymore!" but it rolls so much easier off the tongue than "Fiance"!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                              <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                              The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                              <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                              <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                              Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                              Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X