Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how old were you when you got engaged???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what matters is your maturity, not your age, as a couple when you decide to get engaged. But of course, getting engaged in your teenage years is not something I would recommend. Also, I don't really believe in extra super long period of engagement. For me, two years is the longest time that I'll wait to get married once my SO proposes to me, unless of course, some unforeseen circumstances come up.

Comment

I think you can make the commitment before any official announcement. I wouldn't get married before 21 just because I want to drink at my wedding and likely not before 26 unless I get great civilian insurance (being a military dependent has its perks). I also don't want a super long engagement necessarily (I think of engagement more as the time for preparing for the wedding). I think the commitment can be made at any time once the couple is ready, though. Like promise rings, you know? I make the commitment to be with your for the rest of our lives, but marriage isn't feasible now, so this promise will do. Like wedding vows made before the wedding.

Comment

I was 23 when we got engaged, 24 when our first child was born, 25 when we got married, 27 when our second child was born and divorced at 32.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
          I was 23 when we got engaged, 24 when our first child was born, 25 when we got married, 27 when our second child was born and divorced at 32.
          I'm sorry to hear that. I suddenly felt sad upon reading your post, I can't help but comment on it. Hope your current relationship is for keeps

Comment

I was 22, he was 25... He proposed two years ago (back in January). Or if you want to get technical, I had just turned 21 when he did it the FIRST time. The January 2011 proposal was our OFFICIAL one when he asked my dad for permission!

Comment

I don't think there is really an age too young to get engaged. I would rather say maybe 18 or older, at least. I wouldn't say get married super young or anything, but being engaged doesn't matter too much.

Comment

Originally posted by floridaellen View Post
                I'm 19 and not engaged.

I personally would not get married before the age of 21 (I want to drink at my own wedding!) and most likely not engaged until a year before the wedding. But that's just me. I also would not marry someone I hadn't spent a significant amount of time with in person. My SO and I are currently living together for the summer and I think it's good preparation.
                Just thought I would update - I'm now 20 and engaged. We have been together for about three years, have lived together for an extended period of time, have mostly combined finances and are taking financial literacy classes, will be going through premarital counseling as required by our religion, and have the full support of our families. The engagement just seems like the natural progression of things.

We are planning to get married in May 2014. We will both be 21 at the time of the wedding.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I agree with others that maturity and life situation most likely matters more than age. That being said, brain development is ongoing until about 26 years of age. Everyone is different, though. I think as long as you proceed with realistic expectations and prepare for your life together, and understand the hard work and commitment required, and are reasonably stable and responsible, it can work out. As far as my age of becoming engaged, I was engaged to my husband at 28, and we married last year when I was 29. He didn't do a surprise proposal. We were already talking marriage very early on in our relationship, and we both knew we'd eventually be married. He let me pick out an engagement ring in Russia for our extended, 6-week visit there and we told his family and mine of our intentions to immigrate one of us to either Russia or the U.S. (we took some time to decide which country to live in) and marry.

Comment

I was and still am 21 and my lovely fiancé was and still is 33.

Comment

I was 21 the day we got engaged & turned 22 2 days later & he was 30.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
                      Back Together: August 1,2012
                      First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
                      Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
                      Engaged: January 17,2013
                      Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
                      Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
                      We Got Married! - July 3,2014
                      SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
                      Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ~whendarknessfalls View Post
                        Hey guys! my SO and i have been seriously talking about getting engaged at some point this summer... 0_o Crazy!
                        He is 22 and i am 20...is that too young? I'm just curious what the average age is. How old were you when you got engaged?
                        Seemingly, That is young. My (ex)wife n' got engaged when we were 20(1987) and didn't marry until we were 25, but divorced at 33. But that is how it turned out for me.

On the other hand, Alan Alda(M*A*S*H) got married to his wife when he was 18(1954). 2014 will be their 60th wedding anniversary.

So it all depends on the individuals.

First Visit: September 2016
                        Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
                        Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
                        For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
                        John 4:12
                        I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

22 assuming it happens this summer like all the hints suggest

Comment

I am 17 and getting engaged this summer!

Comment

I was 18, he was 26. Depends on the couple

a gente se completa neste abraço

Comment

Working...
                              X