I'm Fifteen And Engaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by annieszabo View Post
    I know how you feel, i was only 16 the first time i asked my SO to marry me. I knew we wouldnt be getting married right away. But she was/is my best friend, and the love of my life. But we ended up breaking the engagment withut splitting up, when we hit a bump in the relationship a while ago. But we didnt break up (tho it came pretty close, unfortunately). And recently i asked her to Marry me again <3 and we are once again engaged. I am, as people say, an "old soul". And i think, age is a small factor in being ready. its a state of being. Where you are personally. Somemight be ready at a young age, well others wont be till 50 or 60. And if it works foryou both, then i wish you luck!!
    I agree with this as well, though I am only 15 and I am engaged as well, but it's more like a promise ring, time is the only main factor. Age is just a small one but being in the right state of being is the main key. So take your time and be happy together. If time proves that you guys are meant to be, then it's perfect. Time is the main key of life, it controls the change everyone and everything goes through. But congratulations on your engagement an I wish the best for you. ^-^

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
      Be engaged all you want. Just don't get married for another 10 years or so.
      This. This. So much this.
      *steps on soapbox*
      Okay, the first thing you need to know is the infatuation period can last up to two years. And believe me, even though I heard this statistic in a "Marriage and the Family" class, it rang true in my life. My first fiance (I've been engaged twice, more on this later) and I were together 3ish years before we split. I got engaged at 18, and by 21, I couldn't stand him. Little things I used to find cute were now disgusting. Okay, so we split, and what did I do? Entered another relationship, and this is the part where I met LFAD, but that's beside the point. I entered a relationship 2 months after breaking up with my first fiance, 4 months after this break up, I was engaged again. We remained together for a while, but eventually learned that we didn't even like each other on skype, and if we were to marry, it would be to stifle loneliness.
      Another thing to consider is how people change... from 15 to 18... from 18 to 20.... even from 20 to 22... this is all I can witness, but I can tell you I am an entirely different person now than I was then. 22 year old me would hate 15 year old me. It's very likely the same can be said for you and your boyfriend. so by all means, wear that ring, but make sure before you get married that this is truly what you want. Not now, but then. Because what I wanted at 15 is so very different from what I want now. Heck, what I want now is different from what I wanted a year ago. Life experiences change you.
      Lastly, I'm only a PM away if you ever want to discuss things.
      *steps off my soapbox*

Good luck!

First Met Online: October 2010
      First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
      Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
      First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
      Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
      Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
      Engaged!: June 1, 2013
      Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

I started dating my SO when I was 14 and he was 15. Once we fell in love, of course we wanted to get married. But high school will throw you some curve balls that you never saw coming. The drama, which I'm sure you are already well acquainted with, is ridiculous, and people will stop at nothing to screw your relationship up. For example, during one of our mini breakups, he slept with my cousin. Something that he definitely wishes he could take back and regrets completely, but it happened because we were young and your hormones get the best of you EVEN WHEN YOU ARE IN LOVE. I'm now 20 and he's almost 21, we are still not engaged, we don't have the money to get married and neither one of us are ready for that anyways. All I'm saying is you're very young. I believe relationships that begin at a young age can make it, I am living proof of that, but being "engaged" at such a young age while still in high school just does not seem like an "ideal" situation. I would call your ring a promise ring, which is what I have, as well as a commitment to him that we will stay true to each other. But I just don't see how putting a ring on your finger automatically makes you engaged. You have to know that you're ready to take that next step and actually start planning your lives together. You can plan all you want to now, but things will change, and like I said, high school will make you go through things you never thought possible. I just want you to keep in the back of your mind that things may change, so don't put everything you have into this "engagement" until you both are ready to take that next step and get married.

Comment

I will not tell you what is best for you, because I can't know, but your thread got me reflecting over my first real relationship that I got into when I was 14. My ex wanted to rush into an engagement and to start with I was completely on to it, but (luckily) we didn't have enough money. In any case, I had my life set, I was to graduate and get a crappy job and get married. After about 9 months into the relationship I started feeling pressured, a year into it I was happy to not have to celebrate our anniversery wth him and a month later I broke it (which was far from easy, he still had a huge crush on me and a year later he was still asking me out), I entered a new realtionship (an LDR, one that I briefly mentioned in an earlier thread), was talking engagement with a guy that I was not sure I was ready to even meet and that was significantly older than me. Now I'm going to take a gapyear when I graduate (from a different school than I planned to) to try out how my current relationship would work without the distance. My current SO is younger than me and I'm his first real girlfriend so occationally he talks about getting engaged, which I have forbidden him to do until he's 18 too.
          In any case, con gratulations, and all the best to you and your significant

By the way, I'm a believer in long engagements, if you get engaged young here you're supposed to be engaged for around 3 years (at least, most stay engaged longer except those with a strong belief in their specific religion) without getting married, most of my friends that are engaged now excpect to be engaged atleast until they have finished university
          Last edited by Alsfia; December 6, 2012, 11:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention :p
          We part only to meet again ~ J.Gay

Comment

Like most others said, no one can tell you what is right for you! I personally with the hindsight I have now, would wait a while to get married. I was engaged when I was 18, and we ended things due to fundamental differences in our life philosophies. I'm glad I didn't marry him, I have no idea where I would be now. But I'll tell you some advice that I was told when I was engaged young.

10 years from now its you who lives with the choices you make now. Not your friends or family. Make sure you are doing what is absolutely best for you. Its your life and no one can tell you how to live it, but do what is best for number one.

Comment

Working...
            X