X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

promise rings?

Heyy lol I don't really know what category to put this in
    But im just wondering
    What do you guys think about promise rings?

I'm not a huge fan of them. I don't need someone to promise to propose to me in the future or a promise saying we will be together forever. That is what an engagement ring is for. I don't really see the point in them. Lots of people had them in high shcool but I can guarantee none of them are still together.

Comment

I would prefer a promise ring to a long term engagement because it would symbolize the commitment without costing too much. I guess I see long term engagements as the same as a promise ring...I would want him to propose when we were able to get married sometime shortly after. Idk if I could be engaged for years because then I might think we were never going to marry. I don't think that its necessary though, but especially in LDR's its nice to have a symbol of your commitment since you can't be with the person regularly.

Comment

My SO gave me a promise ring, but it wasn't a promise he was going to propose, it was more like a promise to stay honest and faithful to each other despite the distance. It was a very pretty and simple ring. I wear it sometimes on my right hand now since he proposed to me. I wasn't expecting him to propose so soon. :P

Comment

Promise rings are lovely and they don't cost a fortune like engagement rings can ^-^ Me and my SO are getting them when I visit in the summer <3
          "taim i ngrá leat mo anam chara <3"

Kitten: -laces fingers together- our souls are one <3
          Keith: -blushes and gazes at lovingly- forever and always <3

Comment

The idea of "promise ring" is not really widespreak over here. In fact I don't even think there's a German (or Polish) word for it, which says a lot about it.

My boyfriend gave me a ring for our one-year anniversary. We had been thinking about matching jewllery for some time, but couldn't find anything we both liked, so he just bought me a ring. When my friend saw it she asked if it was an engagement ring and my boyfriend said that it was a "pre-engagement ring", which is probably what Promise Rings are about.
            We're not engaged yet, but we know we want to get married and we already have a date (well month and year - January 2014) and a location for our wedding . I don't really understand year-long engagements, though. To me from the moment you get engaged you start actually planning the wedding, so I'd ideally get engaged about a year (+/-) before the wedding. We still have some time until that, so there's really no reason for us to be officially engaged now. We're comitted either way.
            I'm also hoping for a spectacular proposal somewhere really romantic (yeah, my boyfriend knows that), so my boyfriend still has some time to wait for that perfect moment

I've just realized that I didn't actually say what I think about promise rings. It depends on the situation and the couple. I can understand people who say they don't understand them or who feel they have no point. But I also think that there are a lot of reasons why instead of proposing right away, you might want to promise to propose first.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

There only something I heard of when I came to the States, they're not a big thing in the UK either. Although I bet they will become a big thing. Anything in America eventually makes its way to the UK!

I like yours KatyCakes, I think that works well for LD couples. A promise to stay honest and faithful. Although that is kind of implyed in a LDR, its nice to have a symbol of that for the hard times.

Not quite the same thing, but for example my friend gave me a bracelet for my birthday with lots of words of bravery on it "Courage" "No fear" "Never give up" etc. She gave it to me because she thought I was unbelievably brave to travel on my own, and be so committed to someone who (at that point - I was on my way to him!) I'd never even met yet. I wear it, and look it often, especially when things are hard with my SO. Its nice to have something to represent what you already know.
              Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Promise rings can be for any number of things--a promise made by a friend or lover, a promise made to maintain physical purity, etc--and I am not a big fan of them. My ex-fiance gave me a sterling silver and crystal promise ring six months before he proposed. I think they're fine for very young couples and good for couples who are long distance.

Comment

I kind of wanted one xD but i think it would freak out my family.

Comment

My boyfriend and I have them and it's just a reminder of each other. We don't need them to promise anything really

Comment

My boyfriend proposed with a promise ring at Rockefeller Center in front of the tree. He'll eventually propose again with a real ring. But the promise ring to us, is actually a promise of marriage and a life together. We're young, so it makes more sense than an engagement ring.
                      ~"Happiness is not the absence of problems but the ability to deal with them"~

Comment

I'm terribly insecure, so I need to be reassured like every other day. I think promise rings are great for people like me, that way I can have my reassurance without driving him nuts.

Comment

When my boyfriend bought me the ring I have now It reminded me of just how much he loves me and wants to make this work. As he said he's called "dibs". He keeps hinting that a bigger commitment is to come
                          " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
                          Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

We don't have official promise rings, but each wears a personal ring on the left hand as a promise we made to each other. In a very small silly way for me, it reassures me every time I see his ring on his left hand.. just as a reminder of that night when that promise was made. We did this prior to meeting and our first meeting it was another cool thing to remember what they meant and to link those hands and fingers together with a slow kiss.

I think they are wonderful for LDR's and just another tool in an arsenal to fight a difficult battle of distance sometimes.
                            Three words. Fill my racing mind. Leave me breathless. Lost in time.
                            Three words. Fill my endless dreams. Repair my heart. Mend the seams.
                            Three words. Fill your heart too. Three words pronounced. I love you.

~~~~~~

You look in the mirror, you don't like what you see, don't believe it.
                            Look in my eyes, I am the only mirror you're ever gonna need.

Met online: 12/24/10 Met In Person: 2/24/11 Distance Closed: 4/24/11
                            Not one regret, not one backwards look, only towards the future and beyond!

Comment

My boyfriend and I have talked about marriage a lot already and we're pretty much planning to get married. However, he wants to hold off an official engagement until we've met in person, which will happen in a few months, fortunately.

Now, in this situation, I'd like to do the promise ring thing, though I don't expect it to happen. I guess it's because I like showing off things I'm proud of, and a promise ring would be a way to show the world that my SO and I were definitely serious and committed to each other. And planning on spending the rest of our lives together.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X