No announcement yet.

Changing your last name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a bit traumatized in early school years as my school had this habit of doing everything by last-name alphabetical order... the "a"s get to go to recess, then the "b"s, etc. I was W, and I hated it! My 5-year-old self eyed the As, Bs, and Cs with envy and SWORE I'd be one of them someday, lol!

But I liked my given last name. Simple, short. And when I married the first time, I kept my given name on all my IDs and everything (mostly because I was proud of it, I'm the last generation to have it... and also partly because my then-husband shared his last name with a disease!).

I married my SO in February, and surprised myself by really wanting to share a name with that man! I changed it right away, and it feels great.

Also, it's a "C"... so I finally made it to the front of the class, yessss! Lol.
    We collided and fell out of nothingness... scattering stars like dust

Comment

Although marriage is no where in the near future I have thought about it and i dont think i want to change my last name even though my initials would be the same... his last name is Smith, the most common name there is lol and i like my unique last name... So probably i wont take it although i could hyphenate

Comment

I would definitely take my SO's last name. I've never really thought about it, though. It was just one of those things that I always knew I would do when/if I got married. My sister kept our last name when she got married so she can pass it down if she wants. As for me, I want my SO's last name. I want to be part of his family.
        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
        Made it official: September 17, 2010
        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
        Got married: November 21, 2012
        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

When i get married i'm going to hyphenate my last name. I hate it say it, but it's always easier if you happen to get divorced just remove the hyphenated name.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I am going to take his last name Just because its a nice thing to do and it then makes me feel like your more of a family than if you have two different last names

Comment

Originally posted by michy View Post
              I was a bit traumatized in early school years as my school had this habit of doing everything by last-name alphabetical order... the "a"s get to go to recess, then the "b"s, etc. I was W, and I hated it! My 5-year-old self eyed the As, Bs, and Cs with envy and SWORE I'd be one of them someday, lol!
              I'm a teacher and a fellow "W". I always do everything in reverse alphabetical order. Take that you Applegates and Browns!!!

Comment

Originally posted by michy View Post

But I liked my given last name. Simple, short. And when I married the first time, I kept my given name on all my IDs and everything (mostly because I was proud of it, I'm the last generation to have it... and also partly because my then-husband shared his last name with a disease!).

I married my SO in February, and surprised myself by really wanting to share a name with that man! I changed it right away, and it feels great.

Also, it's a "C"... so I finally made it to the front of the class, yessss! Lol.
                I went from "W" to "D", myself!
                My heart belongs to a pilot!
                ~*~
                ~*~
                [/center]

Comment

I want to take his last name as my middle name. Here's my long-winded reasoning:

My first and last name are Tamil and pretty long (20 letters together). His first name and last name (Spanish) are 4 letters each. I feel like my name would be a little lopsided and awkward if I took his last name. I'm also fairly attached to my last name, as by cultural tradition, my last name is my father's first name. He passed away suddenly when I was 13 and he was a huge part of my life. I would love to add my SOs name somehow though, for a sense of closeness. Hyphenating my last name would make it crazy long, sooo I think I'll want his last name as my middle name. It has a nice ring to it when I say it all together

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I kept my name when I married my first husband. He fought me about it for the 14 years we were together.
                    This time, I intended to take my husbands name, but I got pregnant shortly after the wedding and got too sick to do it. I use it socially.

Frankly my maiden name means nothing to me. My paternal side is either dead or has disowned me. Taking my mothers name has no appeal as I have zero relationship with any of them, and they always wanted to keep it that way.
                    My son has my husbands name. It would be easy for me to change it now - but I can't bring myself to give enough of a damn to do it. I'm not part of his family. I don't even believe in family.

Comment

While I have no desires or dreams of getting married right now, I would likely hyphenate it. I like my last name, and if my SO and I ever got hitched... Goood lord, he has a complicated frenchy name. Something to do with having royal blood and showing it's a royal type name.

Comment

I will most definitely be taking his last name! I love the unity it will give us as a family.

Oh and he is 50% Ecuadorian from his dad's side and I am so German its not even funny. I find it hilarious that I will have a hispanic last name and I am the whitest they get. Haha!

Comment

Despite being very non-traditional about marriage and dating, I think I would take my SO's last name. I like my last name but both my first and last are very unique and hard to say. I wouldn't mind having one name that was somewhat easy to say. My SO has also suggested we both take my last name. That would cool too so I don't know.

Comment

I wouldnt! No one in our family changed last names either when they got married, so I too am not familiar with the concept. Plus, if we're talking about my current SO's last name, its so much further down in the alphabet. D:

Comment

I will nothing against my last name but I like my SO's plus it starts with A which is awesome

Comment

I would definitely would take my future husband's last name. Like the other have said, when i have children I would like all of us to have the same last name. Especially for school things
                                sigpic
                                Not to get clever
                                but with you I see forever
                                But whatever it is,
                                Here's to you,
                                I Love You Kid...

Comment

Working...
                                X