No announcement yet.

Changing your last name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will definitely be taking his last name. I don't think he'd appreciate me keeping my ex-husbands last name after we get married....
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I'm in a similiar boat as CanadianGirl. My last name is my father's last name, and I want to keep it as a reminder of who I am and who he was. My father's family is very small by this point, and with him passed away, there are few people to carry the name. I'll keep it as is. Hyphenating would be an option too, but I'd have to think about it. My last name stays, either way.

~
      It'll take a lot more than words and guns
      A whole lot more than riches and muscle
      The hands of the many must join as one
      And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I might be keeping mine for a while. I'd love to change it, but by the looks of it right now, I will probably keep it for a while.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

My SO and I actually talked about that just a couple nights ago. I think we decided to wait until everything is settled before we change our names. But I think we decided that I will add her last name to mine and she will add mine to her's.

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
          Married April 18th, 2015!!
          Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

When I marry my Indian boyfriend, I will change my last name to his last name. I've never imagined it any other way. It's what I want. I just feel that taking on his last name makes us a family. Of course, that's how I feel about it. Many people have their own beliefs. ♥ And to each their own.
            From America to India. ♥

Comment

I want my SO's last name. We have not talked about marriage very much because we are not there yet and he is not divorced yet. But when we talk about our future he talks about himself as my husband and it sounds so nice. Right now I have ex's last name and I like to have same last name with my kids but I wouldn't want to keep it if I remarry. The only thing is I was stupid enough to make my last name part of my business name so I don't know what to do about it. We had not come to decision about a divorce at that point although it was obvious. I should have known better. But either way I will take SO's name and if I need to change my business name also, I will do it. My SO has a very nice last name and easy to spell and it's also known in my country. I will be so proud to carry his name!

Comment

I'll take his name. To honour my dad if I have a son, his first of Middle name will be my dads name.

Comment

If my SO and I were ever to get married some day, I would take his last name. It has always been kind of a tradition in my family to do so, and I don't think I would feel right if I didn't lol. That and I really do like his last name.
                  ~~~ ~~~

First Met Online: March 13, 2014
                  Relationship Began: November 23, 2014
                  First Met In Person: June 10-24, 2015
                  Second Visit: December 16- January 6, 2015/2016
                  Closed The Distance: June 26, 2016
                  Got Engaged: February 1, 2018

Comment

I took my husband's last name. I just did a straight switch. I wasn't sure even the day I was going to do the official name change whether or not I was going to keep my last name as a second middle name or not. I decided to ditch it. It's REALLY difficult to spell/pronounce (My new name is a normal name - it's amazing to not have to spell it for people!). I don't have any solid connections work or otherwise to my last name. My sisters and mother all have different last names anyway. So, I'm not really losing much by just getting rid of it altogether. I really love my new name. It's been a couple months and it's still weird when someone says it.
                    Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
                    Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
                    Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
                    LD again: July 24, 2012
                    Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
                    Married: November 1, 2014
                    Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

I'll be taking his last name! I love it so much, honestly.

Comment

We've often talked about marriage, and should things work out the way we both hope, then it will most likely happen. I think I asked him this question awhile ago, but I kinda forgot what he said, lol. However, due to several reasons, should I take his name it may differ from the name he currently has. Most likelihood is it WOULDN'T change, but yeah. I would like to take his last name, though any children that might pop up in future will probably have an influence of my surname/parents' names.

Comment

I know I answered forever ago that she would probably take mine because Canadians actually pronounce my French last name better than Americans do, but also it is an adopted last name given to us by the one man that actually stuck with my Grammy and her sons. It just means more than the other names do knowing dad had his legally changed to it.

Also her last name is Kaine and my legal name is Kayleigh.
                          You wanna be called Kayleigh Kaine? Ew, no, that's nasty.
                          Met: Apr 2013
                          Mutual interest: July 2013
                          Relationship Began: November 6 2013
                          First Visit (Her to Me): July 4 2014
                          Second Visit (Me to Her): Jan/Feb 2015 Postponed due to sister having baby
                          Second Visit! (Her to Me again): June 16 2015 - July 4 2015
                          Engaged: June 29 2015 <3
                          Third Visit: (Her to me, working on it) January 19 2016 - February 2 2016

Comment

Working...
                          X