Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Changing your last name
Collapse
X
-
I would take my husbands last name. My last name is pretty cool though, but I would give it up. Early on in our relationship my SO asked me about this as they were talking about it on a radio talk show. He said he would be pretty up set if his wife didn't. Not sure why exactly.
-
I like my current last name a lot more than my SO's. Well, actually, he has two last names, as is traditional in Peru, and in theory I should be taking the first of those (which is the one I don't like) and tacking my own last name on to that, but it clashes really badly with my name. I have a pretty English sounding name and his is Spanish-Chinese, and when you put them together, they just don't work well. I don't really think I'll change my name.
In social situations, however, I would looooooooooove to be addressed as "Mr. and Mrs. Chau." It's short and cute and it makes me feel like I"m his.
Another thing to consider... what name will our kids take?! I want them to take my last name, but he wants them to take his. I dunno.
Leave a comment:
-
I have no idea. I'll probably take his name, but I am very fond of mine...
Leave a comment:
-
I'm pretty sure whether we end up here or in the states, I will most likely be able to do it. I know it can be done here, since I've had friends that have. But yeah, I just want to keep my name out of respect for the man who brought me into this world and have the name of my love as well.
Leave a comment:
-
deppends on the rules of the country, i wanted to do exactly what you did, but german laws didn't allow me. so my midde name was gone and in order for me to keep my last name (that i wanted to make my middle name), and also add his as my last, I had to hyphenate. But I like it as well!!! more than I thought I would actually!Originally posted by LilyChiba View PostHad a talk to him about this the other night. Because I want to keep mine in some manner and want to remove my middle name, I'll simply make my surname as my middle and his last as my last. Made me happy. Made him happy because it makes me happy and he still gets to put his name on me without it being hyphenated.
Leave a comment:
-
I want to take his last name. It makes me sound more Irish, and, well, it means I'm his, forever.
Leave a comment:
-
Had a talk to him about this the other night. Because I want to keep mine in some manner and want to remove my middle name, I'll simply make my surname as my middle and his last as my last. Made me happy. Made him happy because it makes me happy and he still gets to put his name on me without it being hyphenated.
Leave a comment:
-
Well for me I have no problem changing my last name to his. My best friends name is his last name and has been a name in my life since I was a kid. Kind of funny when I think about it because all my best girl friends as a kid had this name. I also had a lot of guy friends with his name, funny how some things are there and work out. I want his name because I am proud of him and proud he is my other half. He is a wonderful guy and I am very happy with him. I also tease him and tell him people will finally pronounce my name right!
Leave a comment:
-
I do plan on taking his last name. I cant wait, plus its a nice enough last name. Has a good sound with my first name.
Leave a comment:
-
We have no idea! I will most likely end up taking his name. I'd be happy. His name is already "double barreled" as we've called it. He's adopted so he kept his birth mothers name and hyphinated with his adopted family name. He's very excited to be the first of a brand new line. He wouldnt mind adding the 4 short letters of my last name to the mix. I think if that happened, legally it would appear one way, signayures another, and in social context it would be different still. It also makes me wonder in the teacher world what will I do. Many teachers often "pick" the easier name so as not to trip up students. If we mashed up pur names, nothing would change in my classroom haha. But our children, (if/when that happens) most definately, will take his name. I buy into the romantisism, and feel that I can honor my family in the first or middle naming, as has been done in my family for generations already. (I have the same middle name as my mother and her grandmother, while it was MY grandmothers first name.). Its just as much of a gift.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm planning on taking his last name. Our last names actually start with the same first 3 letters but his is DeR while mine is just Der so it's a small change. Plus his is longer and French and I think it's great, so I'm excited.
Leave a comment:
-
I like my name together... so I'd probably just add his on.... as the last one so people don't use it...
Leave a comment:
-
Guest repliedAh, this thread reminds me of the first time I blurted "I've had daydreams about us having the same last name!" to my SO
I'm quite traditional when it comes to marriage etc. so I'd love to take his surname, although I can't pronounce it with a proper French accent yet
Leave a comment:
-
I'd take my SO's last name. I've written it down before, actually. Bailey Ellaine Mitchell just sounds better than Bailey Ellaine Arnold to the both of us, really.
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: