Travelling to Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattheww65 View Post

In terms of how cold it is... my girlfriends being really vague with me lol! When I think of Canada I think of minus 30, snow storms etc. Is it really like that or is it just like here.... 0-5 most of the time unless its a cold day when its like -7?

:P
    There are parts of canada that get -30, but Ottawa isn't one of them, here's a website that shows you the average or normal high/low temps for major cities in Canada every month and it has Ottawa on it https://gocanada.about.com/od/canada...res_canada.htm

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

ontario rarely gets to be that cold- hopefully this year will continue that lol.. but ya, usually about -13 or so is normal for here...

Comment

Awesome thanks for your help guys! Cant wait!

Comment

Originally posted by mattheww65 View Post
          BUNAC 'work Canada' student visa I'm applying for next year, it says you can't have one if your coming to Canada to visit a Girlfriend/fiancée etc.
          I have been involved with BUNAC Scheme myself working in England (I lived in Reading, Berkshire for 6 months in 2004-05).. I actually lived with a male friend of mine I had met at University... I had the best time of my life in those 6 months! But, I was never asked who I was living with, or what I had planned to do to get a job. Only when I was at Immigrations at the airport was I asked my reason for coming into the country and how long I was staying and did I have my Bunac sponsored visa and return travel confirmed. I do remember it was mandatory to show up for a Bunac meeting in London before you could start working, but outside of that--- I don't think your going to have any issues.. and just refer to your SO as a long time friend.

Comment

I was wondering if anyone can give me in any insight of Toronto . I have the 24th to book my tickets which saves me over $700 in traveling expenses already so there's one positive for me. The Flip side is it during August, so it's still a fair amount of time to plan but, I think these tickets are abit too cheap to be true so I'm thinking of jumping on board haha. I'm keeping this as a low down on her to suprise her but with that in mind, I can't ask too much question in regarding of how the lifestyle around there without being fishy haha. I'm a part-time working, studying full time which doesn't help my financial cause but that won't stop me too much I hope. If worse things to come... *stares at the CC* I have some tricks... up my sleeve -_-. So any information of hostels and transit would be great for me =]. All I know so far without probing too much is that she lives within the northern-east of Toronto, but I'm sure I can get more information off of her best friend when due comes .

Comment

Originally posted by ikcud View Post
              I was wondering if anyone can give me in any insight of Toronto . I have the 24th to book my tickets which saves me over $700 in traveling expenses already so there's one positive for me. The Flip side is it during August, so it's still a fair amount of time to plan but, I think these tickets are abit too cheap to be true so I'm thinking of jumping on board haha. I'm keeping this as a low down on her to suprise her but with that in mind, I can't ask too much question in regarding of how the lifestyle around there without being fishy haha. I'm a part-time working, studying full time which doesn't help my financial cause but that won't stop me too much I hope. If worse things to come... *stares at the CC* I have some tricks... up my sleeve -_-. So any information of hostels and transit would be great for me =]. All I know so far without probing too much is that she lives within the northern-east of Toronto, but I'm sure I can get more information off of her best friend when due comes .
              I would definitely get the plane tickets now, that's extremely cheap from Australia to Toronto, it's usually around anywhere from $900 - $1,300 round trip. Anyways, I live in Tdot (toronto) and would be more than willing to help you out by giving you information about transit and hotels, send me a PM and feel free to ask me anything you need too

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

What a great thread!

I have a question about travelling and Canada so I guess this would be the best place for it!

So when I flew out to Canada I was quizzed by the officers which really did freak me out a fair bit! It was my first time travelling alone! So my man has said that when we can finally be together he will come to the UK to get me so we can fly back together. Now he wants to stay a month to see the UK before we go back.

So, my point is..he's flying here on his own and I will pick him up. We'll spend a month together here and then I will fly out with him back to Canada.

What is the best way to go around booking tickets?
                Would it be for him to book a single ticket over here, and then book two single tickets from LON back to Canada for us both?

Comment

I would have him get a one way to come to you and then book your tickets together while he's there. Thats what we've done when we plan on flying back together to Canada.

Comment

I'm from New York, and I'm obsessed with finally going to Canada. I convinced my family go in late may/early june after the semester is over, but I didn't fully convince my mother to do what I want to. I really want to go to Montreal, but she said "let's go to Ontario and see how we like it, and THEN next time maybe we'll venture to Montreal." So my question is: What are some good, cultural things to do in Ontario. There's a few real touristy things we want to do obviously, but I want to get a real Canadian sense if you know what I mean.

What are some good things to do in Ontario?
                    ~"Happiness is not the absence of problems but the ability to deal with them"~

Comment

Originally posted by KatyCakes10 View Post
                      I would have him get a one way to come to you and then book your tickets together while he's there. Thats what we've done when we plan on flying back together to Canada.
                      Thanks!
                      Will he be fine at customers/immigration with not having a return ticket? I'm sure he will be never mind me

Comment

Yeah he should be fine, the only problem we've ever had was with a customs agent in Toronto. But I think he was just on a power trip. Gr.

Comment

Originally posted by vpavelock View Post
                          So my question is: What are some good, cultural things to do in Ontario. There's a few real touristy things we want to do obviously, but I want to get a real Canadian sense if you know what I mean.

Hmm..well, im from Ontario (southern Ontario, near Niagara Falls). Culturally, Toronto is definitely one place you wanna go. They always have things going on!! As far as touristy things... Niagara Falls would be a big one, toronto..anywhere like that. If you need any help with anything, be sure to ask (you can PM me).. i will do my best to help!!

Comment

Originally posted by vpavelock View Post
                            I'm from New York, and I'm obsessed with finally going to Canada. I convinced my family go in late may/early june after the semester is over, but I didn't fully convince my mother to do what I want to. I really want to go to Montreal, but she said "let's go to Ontario and see how we like it, and THEN next time maybe we'll venture to Montreal." So my question is: What are some good, cultural things to do in Ontario. There's a few real touristy things we want to do obviously, but I want to get a real Canadian sense if you know what I mean.

I know RyanJr mentioned Toronto and the Niagara region, and those are lovely! I'd also very highly recommend Ottawa. It's a gorgeous city, with excellent food, lots of museums and galleries, and the Parliament buildings! It's very picturesque, it's right on the river, and I can't get enough of it It's a great place to go for some good food, get some nice cold beer, and relax. Or do some shopping, or visit museums, or just wander

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                            Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

Working...
                            X