Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wears the pants in the relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who wears the pants in the relationship?

My SO on different occasions mentioned that I wear the pants in this relationship.

I mean...he's got more romance in his pinky finger than I do in my entire body!
    He somehow prefers a daughter as our first child while I prefer a son.

But when it comes to discussing important matters such as our future together, he is usually first to bring it up and has more to say about it.

I guess we do take turns wearing the pants in the relationship, haha.

What about you guys? Who's in-charge?

Joined in 2012. Restarted in 2017!

I don't think the examples you gave has to do with "who wears the pants" It means who makes the decisions and has the most say in what happens. Just cause he is romantic doesn't mean he couldn't also be the one who makes most of the decisions.

We make most of the decisions together, although I have outwardly told him no on somethings and he has never told me no on anything...other then wanting a hamster lol

Comment

When it comes to who has most to say when it comes to making decisions, there's no doubt it's me XD People around me often likes to joke about how much my SO lets me be in charge of the relationship.
      But still... ever since a young age I've been bad at deciding things - I can never make up my mind. In those situations my SO is better at making a decision for me - unless I tell him that I don't like it, then he'll have to redo it XD

Comment

I'm the boss - I just let him think he's in charge, ha!

Nah, I'm joking I'd say we're pretty equal, to be honest. We do have different strengths and weaknesses though, so I'm happy to defer to his judgement concerning matters I know less about and vice versa.

Comment

gotta agree-i wear the pants sometimes. but he wears the pants more. (or i let him think that, lol.)

but in all seriousness, he's an engineer. so he thinks more logically. my title at work says i'm an engineer, but i got my degree in graphics. so he's the logical one. i'm the emotional one. we balance each other out, and i know that i'm more level-headed because of his influence.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
          Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
          Progress: Working on it.

Comment

We both wear pants.

I prefer boot cut or low rise.
            She wears a standard or tapered leg, when not wearing a beautiful sun dress.

Comment

I tend to be the pantsy one, but I like things to be more fair so I often stop and ask him for his input or tell him to be more vocal about what he would like. I hate making decisions. xD
              Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
              Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
              Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I really don't like making decisions. One time we flipped a coin because neither of us could decide whether to go to the aquarium or the zoo. haha. But in all seriousness - I like to let him wear the pants, however we're pretty equal when it comes to our relationship. There isn't one who gets their way more than the other or one of us who makes all the decisions - we usually talk it over first and then come to some kind of agreement.

Comment

I'd hate to 'wear the pants' and I dread bossy girlfriends/wives. I spent one NYE with such a couple. The woman was very opinionated and bossy to her husband, and kept saying things like "we think, we feel, we want". As if his opinions morphed into hers. They even wore matching jackets she of course picked for them. It made me cringe so bad.

For the record, it would've be equally horrible if the roles were reversed, as I had the chance to witness too. It's especially embarrassing when women brag about how they got to train their boyfriends, the other day I heard a girl saying "good boy" to her boyfriend when he did something for her, as if he were her dog, and then she gloated to her girl friends.

My boyfriend's not very decisive and neither am I, which is a problem sometimes. But while we're flexible for any deal, we haven't even picked up any habits off each other.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I guess we each wear the pants in different situations. Things that matter most to him, and that I don't really care about, he makes decisions. When it comes or order and cleanliness around the house it's all him. But things that matter to me- having a pet, going on vacations- I get the overall say. Though we always both agree with the end solution, only one person might make it.

Comment

He does :P both literally and figuratively lol

Comment

I hate the phrase "who wears the pants in the relationship". It's the 21st century, people, we don't need to be this sexist.
                        Last edited by CynicalQuixotic; March 30, 2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I didn't know only one person in the relationship was allowed to wear pants. Are the pants you're referring to pants in the US sense of the word, or the UK? 'Cause those would be very different pants and I need to know so I can adjust my wardrobe accordingly. I'm wearing pants (both kinds) right now, my SO probably is too (unless he's in sauna), so should I go home and change?

It's so damn confusing when it's thought that only one person can wear the pants
                          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                            I didn't know only one person in the relationship was allowed to wear pants. Are the pants you're referring to pants in the US sense of the word, or the UK? 'Cause those would be very different pants and I need to know so I can adjust my wardrobe accordingly. I'm wearing pants (both kinds) right now, my SO probably is too (unless he's in sauna), so should I go home and change?

It's so damn confusing when it's thought that only one person can wear the pants
                            See, I wish I could be witty and funny instead of just getting crabby at people.

Comment

Aha, my friends and I joke around about me being the "man" in every relationship I've ever been in (even friendships). I guess as for who wears the pants though... It changes. He's more likely to feel upset over something and I'm more likely to suck it up and help him through it. But we both make about the same amount of effort on organizing things, although he tends to forget and wait until the very last moment, so things don't always work out. Neither of us are bossy at all though...

So yes, we both wear pants. Although mine tend to be skinny jeans and his tend to be really baggy bluejeans. Pants are cooler than skirts yo.

Comment

Working...
                              X