Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleeping is easy, waking up is the hard part.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping is easy, waking up is the hard part.

For those keeping up with my story, me and my SO were CD for 7 months it was perfect. Fast forward April, new job, new country, LDR, lots of stress before he even left. He got a new high paying job, high position with lots of stress and they said it was 9-5 but they lied. He’s been at work until 12-2am every night on top of traveling weekend conferences, phone and home internet issues and a very strict job where he isn’t allowed to bring his personal laptop while traveling plus I think he got brainwashed in that corporate culture. I tried to meet half way a few times and so did he, at first. Then he told me on a few occasions that work trumps all sometimes and it seems he had so much on his plate that he couldn’t give me time or consistency, which is hard when you go from one thing for 7 months to the opposite.

We clearly weren’t seeing eye to eye and even though we would seem to find a resolution or understand each other’s point of view after each disagreement, another obstacle would pop up that would change everything again and that would create tension and instability in the relationship yet again. It went from him telling me “you made me a more understanding person to you are becoming the least understanding person I know”. Every possible bad situation that could come up, has, and in a very short period of time so we haven’t exactly had stability and time to adjust. I guess the difference is I wasn’t handling things very well and went from calm and mature to demanding, neglected and frantic at times and unheard when I would bring up worries resulting in saying regretful things (but when you feel helpless..) and the way he was handling work and not giving me time wasn’t exactly right and completely justified seeing how it was for many weeks. No doubt, all of this brought out the worst in each other.

I realized I was becoming needy and demanding, but only because he changed our communication style, not I.

Finally we had a big fight which escalated via text and I was saying how maybe good things must come to an end (this was triggered by him attending a funeral, not talking to me, I didn’t know how long he was there for and then I passed by a romantic place we had been to..ugh) and that I couldn’t bear the situation if it continued like this. The next day we argued on the phone, I asked if he still loved me he said yes but one more crazy thing and it’s done, I said ya I’m at my breaking point too. I told him he was ignoring me (he insisted no that he read what I wrote yet he never replied) and rejecting me (he said he wasn’t) and later I asked what I could do to fix us, he never answered (but he was responding less and less to “us” talk). We made small talk via text for 2 days.

He disappeared on Whatsapp June 9th mid day, I sent a few worried and apologetic texts and emails (as well as some supportive positive ones) every few days since and stopped Monday June 25th. Every day I get stronger but my hope dwindles down and my worry for our relationship increases. He’s on my mind all the time, I’m not sure given what’s going in his life, that I am on his. The last time we spoke he said he was always thinking of us and that the memories of our trips kept him going.. yet he would not make 5 minutes to talk to me on the phone except maybe once every week or 2, which isn’t what we initially spoke about. My birthday is July 9th. I doubt he’ll give me the gift of closure or letting me know what’s going on.

Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise; maybe this was only temporary but maybe not, maybe if I were more patient, maybe maybe maybe... our love used to bring out the best in me and we’ve overcome many difficulties together before, I was always there helping and vice versa. The neglect, lack of stability and lack of communication got the best of me, even though I know it’s not all my fault.

I’m not reassured things between us will get better because our relationship has escalated into a negative zone and his work is probably at its peak (hopefully end Summer will calm down) but his mom’s cancer seems to be worsening (last he told me end May). If it was only one thing, we probably wouldn’t be here.

At this point, I’m treating it like a break up given the time frame and reaction and he has impeccable memory but I feel like he forgot all the good times and is starting to sum up the relationship based on the few negative situations between us in the last few months (during LDR). I read through old emails (which I should’ve done before to give me strength, everything felt like the end of the world at the time it was happening) and I feel like resending it to him... I mean he spoke to me about marriage (when we were CD and at the beginning of LDR how he is so happy he didn’t settle).

I’m still in disbelief that this is happening and he went MIA on me. I know he is alive though. He hasn’t been himself and I’ve never seen this side of him and he’s never seen this side of me either, I feel he would think a break is dumb so I think it’s over. He also doesn’t seem to forgive and forget and holds grudges (which was never the case before but we never fought like this either with so much other crap in the way).. and when his mind is made up it’s done. I guess he just failed to let me know before we got to a broken point. When timing and luck is everything and you have neither... then what...

I have told myself to hold on as long as I can. I texted him that I wasn’t giving up on us and I’d remain positive for the both of us (perhaps he doesn’t believe me anymore because I broke before). This is week 1 of me not talking to him. I guess 1-2 months will be it for me even though timing and luck will still be against us. Every day feels like an eternity of anxiety. Even if he re-establishes communication, I will likely feel insecure about us knowing he may very well disappear again. Maybe love isn't enough sometimes.

Every day I wake up hoping, but knowing I will be disappointed.

Yes I hate being this whiny but I’ve been more positive and hopeful than the last few months even though I have less to be hopeful about. I have a journal and am keeping busy. I just have nowhere else to turn and somehow knowing people here are reading this and caring helps.

Count your blessings. I am healthy, have a job (although it's hard to concentrate). If your LDR is successful, then rejoice.

So thank you all.
    Last edited by Jessipoo; July 3, 2012, 11:39 AM.

I am so sorry u are going through this :/ I can understand ur worry and need fir good communication and love. At the same time he is strssed and there is already a lot on his plate. You have tried everything u can and now just give him a week or two to come around and tell calmly that you are sorry and discuss how you both want the communication to be like. Set a date and time maybe one day a week just u and him time. Tell him straight what he needs to do to give u more reassurance.

Comment

I already have done all that. I tried several times calmly to wait. He said he would resolve our communication channels then nothing would get done because of work or something else. True I could have been more patient but I put up with more than most people would have. I'm only human. He's needed me to reassure him before and I have done so. I needed a lot more during ldr from him because of his lack of communication.

The day before the fight I told him I don't know what I did to deserve this cold unloving treatment. He said sorry for the difficulties. That's it.

Comment

True I could have been more patient but I put up with more than most people would have. I'm only human.
        You responded the way most people would have. While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, because you are only human, you have to understand that it's not what you put up with that matters but how you put up with it/respond to it. He's not going to sit there deciding you stayed a month longer than one of your sisters would have, for example, though being honest, people always decide they'll leave until they're in the situation themselves, where it becomes harder, but he's going to sit there reminiscing on how you responded. I don't see that as holding a grudge, but rather reconsidering if it's someone you want to be with. When I'd cry, my SO's initial reaction was to tell me to stop. I didn't like this, because sometimes I need to be allowed to cry and simply be held and cuddled. I communicated this to him, and he stopped asking me to stop and said he hadn't meant it like that. If he couldn't stop, it would have been something that altered the way we communicated. Whether he hinted at his needs or expressed them explicitly, it's possible he's taking some time to figure out if this relationship is what he truly wants. He essentially told you you needed to back off, he said he couldn't take anymore "crazy," and that need wasn't met.

Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but maybe you two simply aren't compatible like you thought you were? You said you've only been together 10 months. Maybe your relationship simply isn't... as strong as you originally thought. That doesn't make either of you bad people or put either of you at fault, but it sounds like you are in two different places, handle your emotions in two different ways, and need two different things when it comes to what you need and want out of a partner. It would have been nice if he were to tell you, to give you some closure or clarity, but frankly, it sounds like he's taken advantage of the distance and of working such long hours and is making it clear to you in the only way he can without saying it directly. It's a cowardly move, but I'm glad you've finally chosen to accept this as a break-up, as that's what it's starting to feel more and more like.

Sometimes things fall apart, where both partners play a hand in it, but either one doesn't want to fix it or sometimes it simply can't be fixed. Sometimes things just don't work no matter how badly you want them to. I would continue trying to keep yourself distracted and move on with your life. I would try to enjoy your upcoming birthday regardless of what's going on. I would simply do what you need to do to move on from this situation and stop waiting on contact that sounds like it's not going to come. :/ Maybe you could even send a break-up letter, if that would help. I know in the past, I have sent letters and said what I needed to say (civilly and politely) for my own peace of mind, so that I can start moving on because I've said my piece. Maybe you could do the same.
        { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning
        Met online: February 2009
        Feelings confessed: December 2010
        Unofficially together since: January/February 2011
        Officially together since: 08 April 2011

Our Story
        First meeting in person: 16 August - 14 September 2011
        Second visit: 17 March - 01 April 2012
        Third visit: 23 July - 13 September 2012
        Fourth visit: Looking at 23 March - 6 April 2013

Our Happily Ever After
        to be continued...

Comment

Thanks again Eclaire.

ya I would send a break up letter but I'm still holding on to hope, every time I've sent something negative in the past, I'd regret it. I may try a reconciliation letter instead. Just short apology, not overly desparate. I won't put a photo in but perhaps an extra stub of the museum we went to in NYC right before he moved. Hand written letter is nice to have..... perhaps reminisce of good memories? I'm not sure... or just send a letter like nothing happened and just encourage him to keep staying positive? I sent him a postcard a week after the fight. I'm sure he has seen it by now.

He isn't normally a coward so I'm confused, maybe he felt he owed me no more respect.. who knows..still. I never betrayed him, lied to him, abandoned him, was disloyal or stopped loving him. I was at times, rude and demanding. I don't feel it warrants this...

I wasn't responding well towards the end...

He chose to bottle the issues instead of talking about them gradually so I get this is him bursting.

people always decide they'll leave until they're in the situation themselves, where it becomes harder

Totally agree.

He went MIA a few days without a reason a few weeks prior to the fight. He usually gives me a reason (no reception, etc) but this time he didn't say anything. I didn't take it as a sign.

Sigh.

I also have zero plans for my bday since they never work out. I went from having the best year of my life to the worst .. and he probably did too.
          Last edited by Jessipoo; July 3, 2012, 12:55 PM.

Comment

how long is he going to work for this stupid company? Maybe he just needs time to get used to this new situation and environement.. and you mentioned that his mum is ill- well that's another big thing which is going on in his life. I think you guys should talk things out when you both have time and are not stressed out. just tell eachother your worries and try to figure out if you really want to break-up. Moreover you have to realize that communication always change. Now he is in the situation that he can't give you that much time.. I know it's hard- but if it's temporary than you have to hold back.. if it's gonna be the next year(s) (depends on how long you can wait) than you have to make a decission and see what's the best for you.
            I'm really sorry for you hun

Comment

I don't have any advice to give but I do feel your pain. I've been in the same situation...a guy just disappearing with no word whatsoever. We weren't together that long though. But I know how shitty it feels being in limbo.

Hope you move on from this a stronger person. And also that you have a great birthday soon.

Met: November 19, 2010
              Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
              Made it official: April 29, 2011
              Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
              Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
              Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
              K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
              Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
              Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

well it went from I'm always just a phone call away to.. I can't pick up. Work.

Definitely, I wasn't more understanding of the new situation and letting him settle in... but he could have done more to help with consistency. And I would love to talk it out with him, trust me I've tried, but he cut communication with me completely for the last 3 weeks. I would be hurt that he would not try to make time or weekends for me, instead of some reassurance he'd get defensive and say he's doing what he has to and is tired of justifying his job all the time and being made to feel guilty.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Originally posted by Captivated View Post
                I don't have any advice to give but I do feel your pain. I've been in the same situation...a guy just disappearing with no word whatsoever. We weren't together that long though. But I know how shitty it feels being in limbo.

Hope you move on from this a stronger person. And also that you have a great birthday soon.
                Stronger yes. Hurt yes. More guarded than ever, yes. He knows I've dated douche bags, I never expected this level of hurt from him..he's the first and only person I've ever had "future" talks with and I was never the one who initiated them.

Even though it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, I wish I could forget.

7 months may not seem long but I was basically living at his place for the last few months, he called his apt "our apt".
                Last edited by Jessipoo; July 3, 2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

As opposed to becoming guarded about everyone you meet, which happens understandably and you won't be able to control some of it, if you seem to have a pattern of the types of men you're attracting, maybe you could consider sitting down and listing out qualities that attracted you and qualities (or red flags, rather) that you ignored? Quite frankly, whereas most people don't see it, if you become so guarded that you're constantly worried about attracting the wrong sort of person, or if you're worried anyone in the future will be that wrong sort of person, those types of people are going to pick up on that vulnerability and find you. :/ If you have a pattern of seeking out unavailable men or men who treat you poorly, then maybe you could consider seeing a therapist to work on what parts of you you can change to stop attracting that or maybe you can draw connections and similarities between them that help you pinpoint those red flags before you're in too deep? While we all have our baggage, building walls, as easy as it is and as protective as it seems, only ever serves to block out the people who are worthy of our time. Perhaps you could use this time to work on yourself, seek therapy if it's needed, and work on breaking down the walls you're allowing yourself to create so that you can actually start attracting a different sort of man? It can sound a bit like fluff, but it's amazing what working on oneself can do to bring a new level of partner into your life.
                  { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
                  to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by lala View Post
                    how long is he going to work for this stupid company?
                    I asked at some point if he was still doing 80 hour weeks later if he'd consider changing jobs and he said well ya for his health...

I guess his tolerance is higher than most people.. which I already knew I just never thought at the cost of us.

Wouldn't it be grand if he realized 3 months down the line his mistakes, likely not since he doesn't feel he has done anything wrong. So when things calm down on his end, he'll just remember I wasn't as supportive as I could have been.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                    As opposed to becoming guarded about everyone you meet, which happens understandably and you won't be able to control some of it, if you seem to have a pattern of the types of men you're attracting, maybe you could consider sitting down and listing out qualities that attracted you and qualities (or red flags, rather) that you ignored? Quite frankly, whereas most people don't see it, if you become so guarded that you're constantly worried about attracting the wrong sort of person, or if you're worried anyone in the future will be that wrong sort of person, those types of people are going to pick up on that vulnerability and find you. :/ If you have a pattern of seeking out unavailable men or men who treat you poorly, then maybe you could consider seeing a therapist to work on what parts of you you can change to stop attracting that or maybe you can draw connections and similarities between them that help you pinpoint those red flags before you're in too deep? While we all have our baggage, building walls, as easy as it is and as protective as it seems, only ever serves to block out the people who are worthy of our time. Perhaps you could use this time to work on yourself, seek therapy if it's needed, and work on breaking down the walls you're allowing yourself to create so that you can actually start attracting a different sort of man? It can sound a bit like fluff, but it's amazing what working on oneself can do to bring a new level of partner into your life.
                    I've dated all sorts of men, no pattern. They all disappoint in different ways.
                    My guard was actually down with him, I was less defensive and that allowed us to happen.

Comment

Could it possibly be your expectations? The only reason I say this is because typically there are things we can do that ultimately end up attracting better sorts of people. For example, who I attracted prior to therapy was entirely different to who I attract now, even as friends, and I wasn't in therapy for that reason. Who my mother attracted prior to working on herself is a whole heck of a lot different than the types of people she's attracting now. I simply recommended it for one, because I'm all about continuing to better yourself (I think we should all take advantage of our growth potential and act on it more often) and for another, sometimes to bring about change, we have to be that change.
                      { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
                      to be continued...

Comment

He fulfilled all of my expectations and more. It's just when it became LDR and we set "rules" and he broke them that I began to feel disappointment.

He told me to keep in mind context and to stay strong during obstacles, it would work for a bit but then I would break. All I needed from him to keep going was a bit of attention and some love but he couldn't give it to me.
                        Last edited by Jessipoo; July 3, 2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Well I suppose all I can suggest then is that you continue to take the time you need to heal. *hug*
                          { Our Story on LFAD }

Our Beginning

Our Story

Our Happily Ever After
                          to be continued...

Comment

Originally posted by Eclaire View Post
                            Well I suppose all I can suggest then is that you continue to take the time you need to heal. *hug*
                            Thanks. This is so messed up.

It seems women are the ones with the most difficulty in LDR
                            Last edited by Jessipoo; July 3, 2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I haven't texted, called, emailed in a little over a week. He hasn't written me in a little over 3.

My urge to call, text or email is so high right now

Comment

Working...
                              X