What does marriage mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by faith_patience_believe View Post
    I don't mean to keep the debate going, but in response, here are two links to statistics that support my opinion. (I found these quickly, but there are lots more.) Notice, the article says it doesn't mean its the only cause, it just means a slightly higher rate.

https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qim...40938178ef3cdc
    https://waitingtillmarriage.org/info...fore-marriage/
    https://articles.chicagotribune.com/...cation-couples
    https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultur...r-divorce-risk <-- Christian site

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

The first article says 82% of those living together are still married after 5 years. Two things about this bother me. First, they're only comparing a bunch of those who lived together first. Those who didn't live together first don't factor into their statistics at all. So this doesn't compare to the statistics I posted in any way. Also, they're only surveying people 5 years into marriage? What about after that? People still get divorced after 5 years.

The second article is NOT a Christian site. It's Christian Science. Thats a different religion than Christianity. It holds some of the same beliefs but in my opinion, its not the same. I do like how this article states that those who are engaged when living together have a lower divorce rate. I'm sure that is very true.
      Whatever is meant to be will always find its way.

Comment

Originally posted by faith_patience_believe View Post
        I do like how this article states that those who are engaged when living together have a lower divorce rate. I'm sure that is very true.
        I guess I just don't get the difference between living together before marriage, and living together being engaged before marriage. Engagements can be broken off just as easily as just breaking up between boyfriend/girlfriend. My SO and I are planning on being married in January. Yet, we are not "engaged". I have no ring. He never asked me to marry him. My facebook page is not changed. In fact, most of my friends don't even know. So am I "engaged"? Am I in the "better statistics"? Or am I just living with my boyfriend while planning a wedding?

Maybe I'm becoming a cynic, but the whole engagement thing just seems like a whole show to me. The ring, the pictures, the parading around, the oohing and aahing. Why is it needed? Does it actually change a couple?

Comment

Omg people. Just agree to disagree already.
          "You want for myself
          You get me like no one else
          I am beautiful with you

I am beautiful with you
          Even in the darkest part of me
          I am beautiful with you
          Make it feel the way it's supposed to be
          You're here with me
          Just show me this and I'll believe
          I am beautiful with you"

-Halestorm

Comment

Yeah, I'm done arguing. I never meant for my original comment to offend anyone. I was just stating my opinion. We all view marriage differently, and I hope that we all find happiness in whatever decisions we make.
            I mean, the important part is that we come to an agreement with our SO's and work it out from there right? I hope it works out well for everyone!
            Whatever is meant to be will always find its way.

Comment

To me, marriage means my SO and I finally will get to be together without worry or change. He will be deployed throughout his military career, but we can handle that. We don't have the option of being able to live together before being married, that wouldn't fly well for the military lol. He said the ring will be on within a year though, I'm so excited! I can't wait, I'm going to go completely mad with excitement and happiness when he finally pops the question. We'll finally be able to start our life together
              So yea marriage to me means an ending to this part of our lives, with all the uncertainty of when we'll get to see each other again and how far away we'll be when he gets his next assignment. There will always be distance, but much more closeness.
              sigpic
              Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
              Our first LDR ~ August 2009
              Closed the distance ~ January 2011
              He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
              Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
              He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
              Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
              Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

I get that marriage is tradition, but I think that marriage is just a peice of paper. the sad thing is, is that you HAVE to be married to have any benifits that coming with haveing someone you want to spend you life with. If that makes sense. I never wanted to get married, but since being with my SO I have thought about it a little more. Yes, i think that marriage is just a peice of paper BUT I also am fine with that since I want to be with him forever. But I shouldnt need a peice of paper to do that.

One thing though- NOT a fan of the expectation of women having to change their last name. IMHO, i am not something to be traded from my dad to my husband. My SO is not a fan that I will not be taking his last name but he has come to understand it, and how it makes me feel.
                Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Marriage to me, is a lifetime commitment. Unless one spouse put's the other spouse's life in danger with reckless disregard for their safety.

First Visit: September 2016
                  Second Visit: January 2017 (Her birthday)
                  Third Visit: June 2018 (medical conference near her home)

John 3:16
                  For God so loved the world. That he gave his only begotten son. For whosoever believeth in him. Shall not perish but have eternal life
                  John 4:12
                  I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Comment

It is a way for that lazy worthless woman to take everything a man owns, and monthly income from him for the rest of his life via divorce. So they get married to use the man through divorce.

Comment

I never wanted to be married.....

until I met my SO and he is the only one I will ever marry...
                      if this ends in divorce for some reason, I will never marry someone else

at least, that's the way I look at it now.

marriage is 'the real thing' for me. I will only do it once.
                      The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        It is a way for that lazy worthless woman to take everything a man owns, and monthly income from him for the rest of his life via divorce. So they get married to use the man through divorce.
                        Wow, bitter much?

Perhaps this site isn't for you.
                        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                          I guess your opinion is because you think that woman are never the one with more money? If it is.................your opinion is wrong. There is also a thing called a premarital agreement (I notice you are both in US) any man or woman can ask for one. Some people use these things.
                          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Malaga View Post
                            My friends and I have this joke, that nowadays the romantic gesture of ultimate commitment is to have a guy ask you if you'd like to sign for mortgage with him, because marriages fall apart so easily but a loan is sure to keep you together for the next 30-40 years.

Personally, marriage is important to me not necessarily as a proof of love but as a milestone of commitment. I think the foundations for starting a family are built in years before the wedding or even proposal, and I don't believe marriage can transform a relationship into something other than it already is. It won't make people more mature or less likely to cheat or to leave. It won't solve trust issues or make communication easier. It is in no way a guarantee for 'ever after' either. But it's a statement of intent, formal acknowledgement of all the silent promises and statements of intent we've been giving each other over the years. It might not work out, but we both accept the responsibility to try and make it work forever. It's not that marriage makes you more committed but it makes you acknowledge that level of commitment, which to me is an important step.

I don't think couples who never plan to get married love each other less, or are less serious about their future together. This is the level of acknowledgement that suits them and that's fine. But for me personally this sort of formality is very important, for us as a couple and each of us individually.
                            This answer is so perfect! I agree wholeheartedly with it.
                            ”Distance means so little when someone means so much.”

Comment

Working...
                            X