Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A big step forward to closing the distance :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooray!!! Such an exciting discovery! I would LOVE to get paid to learn a new language, what a cool opportunity!

Comment

So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I thought I'd replied to this thread but it turns out that I've just seen all the replies while Tanja's been logged on
        In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
        Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
        Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
        My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Guys thats AMAZING!!!!
          I have only been reading your stories for a few weeks, but I'm really excited for you guys!
          Hope it all sorts out and you two can be together soon!

Comment

There's a twist in the tale...

Elina and Sam are in an almost identical situation to us so Elina went to the same place yesterday and spoke to a different woman there... (there's only 2 who work there)

And she was told the complete opposite to us! Basically there's no chance and to just forget about it unless you have a job or a place to study...

So now me and Tanja will (hopefully) go back there tomorrow and ideally speak to both these woman to see if we can get a straight answer, because one of them is just plain wrong.

Argh!

Btw Elina, feel free to elaborate, I'm too sick of all this to go into any more detail
            In a relationship with

My Albums:
            Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
            My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Elina's at work so I can (a bit)

Basically the woman she spoke to said that this project doesnt count as a full-time study, which is what we need to be able to get a permit. The permit we'd get from that allows us to stay in Finland for over 3 months.
              I think by the sounds of it, we either have to go into full-time education there (Uni) or have a job ready and waiting for us there.. which isnt gonna happen because we dont speak Finnish

Remember though, Elina has rang the project direct, from a contact number on their website. They said it doesnt count as full-time education either..
              So we've had both the employment office and palapeli themselves say it's no good..

Wish this wasnt all so confusing

Comment

Originally posted by sam View Post
                I think by the sounds of it, we either have to go into full-time education there (Uni) or have a job ready and waiting for us there.. which isnt gonna happen because we dont speak Finnish

This is the bit I don't get. Bearing in mind that not everyone can, want to, or needs to study (I mean at Uni btw - not learning Finnish) - how do they expect people to get jobs without the language? And how do they expect people to learn the language in the meantime? It just makes no sense at all...

Is there anyone here from a country which requires you to learn the language before you'd be able to get a job? ie you wouldn't be able to get by with just knowing English? How does it work in your country?

Because this just can't be right... it doesn't work at all. How do they expect to bring immigrants into the country? They're not giving them a chance! I hope to God that the woman we spoke to was right... yet it seems she got at least some things wrong because she told us the palapeli project (language course) counted as full-time study whereas someone at the project has themselves said it's not...

Oh man, what a mess.
                In a relationship with

My Albums:
                Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Looks like its a case of "why move to Finland if you cant speak the language (work). Study and we'll teach you the language at the same time"

..But then why have the rule about being married. What do they expect me to do if I marry Elina and then move (because I can). Claim off the government like I will now? I still wont be able to speak the language or work, whether I'm married to her or not.

What a stupid rule/law

Ah well

Comment

Oh, wow! Congratulations, you two! That is such wonderful news. It sounds like the woman you met was a bit of an unemployment angel--it is great to hear that for all the hardships and hard people, that there are happy moments and helpful people.

Comment

Have you tried Googling about the palapeli project Sam? It's bloody impossible to find anything about it that ISN'T in Finnish! How stupid is that when the whole point of the project is about teching immigrants how to speak Finnish! Their website should be in all sorts of languages yet it's in the one that no-one can understand! ARGH!!!
                      In a relationship with

My Albums:
                      Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                      My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Ok better news again, things are now looking up

So topsy turvy all this

But basically Sam's gone and sorted my and his future

Take it away Sam, you can have the pleasure of explaining it all
                        In a relationship with

My Albums:
                        Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                        My dog Sam ♥

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just needed to let that out

SO much have happened in such short time! First hearing good news with Andy, then getting devastating news from Elina and Sam, then getting GREAT news from Sam again.... My head is spinning! Basically Sam spent today finding out everything and sorting out all our problems

Someone who REALLY knows her stuff told him today that MOVING TO LIVE WITH A FINNISH PARTNER COUNTS AS FAMILY - and as many of you may know, moving for family reasons is enough grounds for getting a residence permit. Which means Andy and Sam could move here next June!

I was absolutely gutted at work today before I heard the good news, I ranted to my sister about our situation and I felt so helpless because just a day before someone told me and Andy we could move in together next summer without a problem and right after that someone else said the exact opposite, that it couldn't work out... Such a rollercoaster of emotions!

I just want to close the distance, I wanna get our real, normal life together going, I want to help him adapt to living in here and make mutual friends. We are both so happy we have met Elina and Sam on this forum and we hope to become good friends when we all live close to each other

Thanks all for your kind and supportive words, you guys are all AWESOME! ♥

Comment

Originally posted by Tanja View Post
                            We are both so happy we have met Elina and Sam on this forum and we hope to become good friends when we all live close to each other
                            Was just thinking earlier today.. so glad we got to know you guys Would've been quite a lot harder.. all this, if it had been just the two of us Will be awesome when we're all here Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by elina View Post
                              Was just thinking earlier today.. so glad we got to know you guys Would've been quite a lot harder.. all this, if it had been just the two of us Will be awesome when we're all here Fingers crossed!

I think Sam and Andy were bound to find each other eventually - long lost brothers joint together again

Comment

You four are an inspiration to all of us who, comparatively, have it bloody easy. Just thought you should know!
                                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                                X