Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you and your SO speak the same native language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, we're from the same town, so we have the same accent & language and all that but his second language is German and he speaks it flawlessly. Sometimes he'll send me a message in German and I have to go google-translate it. xD It makes him laugh cuz I'll be like "Hold on, gotta go translate that..."

Comment

We both speak English to communicate with each other, but it isn't our native language. He's French so that's why I've been trying to learn French because his family doesn't speak French. Although it's not a problem for us because when I ask him if he prefers to speak French or English with me, he says that English is good so it will be easier to communicate with each other.

Comment

We both speak english ... I'ma try teach him Spanish though :P

Comment

I'm from Wyoming and she's from New Mexico, so there's the southern accent that makes language tricky. Words like "y'all" still trip me up.

Okay, no, I'm completely kidding. Yes, we both speak the same native language, and she hasn't got a southern accent, but she does use words like y'all, which I understand fine and think are cute. :3

Tons of respect for those of you who speak multiple language/have SOs who don't speak your native language. I've been trying to pick up a second language for years, and have been unsuccessful. It's an awesome thing, those of you who've pulled it off.

Comment

yes, we are both from Spain so one less thing to care about...

Comment

My native language is Swedish and his is Spanish, but we talk with each other in English because we're both pretty much fluent in it anyway I've been taking Spanish classes for about 6 years now, so I'm on the way of knowing his language too, even though I'm nowhere near fluent yet xD Though, I'm hoping that will change once I get to spend some time over with him, since I'll be surrounded by the language and his dad/many relatives and friends only speak Spanish, so it will force me to learn it more thoroughly He's already spent a lot of time here and understands very much Swedish, so he's got a head start, but we aren't communicating with each other in our respective languages at all (except from a few words here and there when we're trying to be funny)

Met online: February 2011
              Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Nope! His native language is Dutch and mine is English. He is fluent in English so naturally we talk in that, I'm (slowly) learning Dutch, and when I get to a good enough level, we'll solely communicate in Dutch

Comment

We don't. My native language is Spanish and he speaks English. It is a bit hard at times for me because I still get confused when I want to say something in English but we get along fine with the language.

Comment

my native is Dutch.... his native is English....

we communicate in English.... but he is learning Dutch....
                    The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.

Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Comment

My native languages are Arabic and French (learned them both at the same time) and his is Finnish, obviously (I say obviously but it could very well have been Swedish!) but we are both fluent in English so that's how we communicate (neither of us speak the other's native languages, though I'm trying to learn Finnish).
                      I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

My native language is French (though I learned English quite young..) and his native language is Persian (farsi). We communicate in English though I am learning Persian and hope that in a few years I can communicate to him his native language!
                        First met online: June, 2010
                        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                        Third visit together: August, 2012
                        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Our native languages are both English, but I'm also fluent in French, and I learned to read French before I learned to read English, so sometimes that can make for some really funny pronunciations on my part! It can also be really frustrating when I know the word in French, but I can't remember what it is in English. But other than that not really a problem.
                          started dating: 12/08/12
                          "i love you": 04/12/13
                          el paso: 07/24/13 - 08/05/13
                          montreal: 12/13/13 - 01/03/14
                          el paso: 01/05/14 - 01/19/14
                          montreal: 05/30/14 - 07/27/14
                          el paso: 07/27/14 - 08/18/14
                          el paso: 12/27/14 - 01/16/15
                          el paso: 06/02/15 - 08/17/15
                          san antonio: 02/04/16 - 02/08/16
                          san antonio/el paso: 06/03/16 - 06/21/16

Comment

Nup

My native language is English, her native language is Estonian

Comment

Working...
                            X