No announcement yet.

How often do you get to see your SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Boogaloo, that made me cry! I hope all goes well for you both!
    sigpic

To read our love story, click here.

Comment

My SO and I have only seen each other once. We got married in July of 2011 and haven't seen each other since. It's been really hard to cope with the distance and all the planned attempts to see one another. Financially it's been difficult and with our families it's not any easier. The good news is that I'm doing study abroad for a year in Scotland and we'll get to live together.. I'm also planning to do the spouse visa so that I can move there just a few months after I come home. It's really hard not being able to see him after so long. Nearly a year and a half is unbearable. I always try to send cards to him that way I can do it every couple of weeks...makes me feel like the time is going by faster.

Comment

Oh, wow, CountryGirl! You're very lucky to get to spend a year with him, then are possibly moving to him soon after. I hope you have fun in Scotland, and I hope all goes well for you both!

P.S. Hello from a fellow West Virginian!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by vanillatwilight09 View Post
          Oh, wow, CountryGirl! You're very lucky to get to spend a year with him, then are possibly moving to him soon after. I hope you have fun in Scotland, and I hope all goes well for you both!

P.S. Hello from a fellow West Virginian!
          Yeah, I am very fortunate. It's expensive to study abroad but it's worth it to get to spend time together everyday since I'm at his university and further my education. Thank you. Oh you're from West Virginia too?

Comment

I envy you! I have been debating to study abroad, but the language barrier is the killer. Therefore, it's probably better for me to finish school here. And, yes, I am. I live in the southern part of the state though.
            sigpic

Comment

He is studying abroad, so I am seeing him only for holidays. I will see him for Christmas, Easter, and when the summer holidays will come that means he is graduating, so we will be together forever

Comment

Originally posted by vanillatwilight09 View Post
                I envy you! I have been debating to study abroad, but the language barrier is the killer. Therefore, it's probably better for me to finish school here. And, yes, I am. I live in the southern part of the state though.
                I know that they have a lot of English subjects at Uppsala Universitet, especially in the humanities faculty. You should look into doing study abroad there (if it's available to you). Sweden in general is also a very English-friendly and they get a lot of exchange students.
                Last edited by Tooki; November 2, 2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                  I know that they have a lot of English subjects at Uppsala Universitet, especially in the humanities faculty. You should look into doing study abroad there (if it's available to you). Sweden in general is also a very English-friendly and they get a lot of exchange students.
                  Yes, this is true, throughout the whole of Sweden at all of the universities they do courses in English And pretty much everyone speaks English, although not the older generation as much. Even the high schools are pretty English-friendly here, I'm currently studying humanities and all of my lessons, other than Swedish, are taught in English

I get to see my SO normally every 6 - 8 weeks, depending on school holidays, this time it has been 13 weeks though so we've been struggling a bit, but it's not too long now
                  I agree with some of the other posters here, seeing how little some of you guys get to see your SOs I feel really lucky that we get visits so often! I don't know how you guys can cope with that, but you should be proud of yourselves for doing that because I for one couldn't wait that long!
                  No time zone or distance or anything can keep us apart

Comment

Originally posted by enemey96 View Post
                    Yes, this is true, throughout the whole of Sweden at all of the universities they do courses in English And pretty much everyone speaks English, although not the older generation as much. Even the high schools are pretty English-friendly here, I'm currently studying humanities and all of my lessons, other than Swedish, are taught in English

I get to see my SO normally every 6 - 8 weeks, depending on school holidays, this time it has been 13 weeks though so we've been struggling a bit, but it's not too long now
                    I agree with some of the other posters here, seeing how little some of you guys get to see your SOs I feel really lucky that we get visits so often! I don't know how you guys can cope with that, but you should be proud of yourselves for doing that because I for one couldn't wait that long!
                    That's pretty much what I'm aware of as well. A Swedish guy from Uppsala (who was on exchange at my university in Australia) said that his 3rd year subjects are all in English as well.

And lucky you!

Comment

Originally posted by Tooki View Post
                      That's pretty much what I'm aware of as well. A Swedish guy from Uppsala (who was on exchange at my university in Australia) said that his 3rd year subjects are all in English as well.

And lucky you!
                      This is very true, most universities (at least the bigger ones) teach a lot of subjects in English, so you might be able to give it a try anyway!

Met online: February 2011
                      Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by CountryGirl View Post
                        My SO and I have only seen each other once. We got married in July of 2011 and haven't seen each other since. It's been really hard to cope with the distance and all the planned attempts to see one another. Financially it's been difficult and with our families it's not any easier. The good news is that I'm doing study abroad for a year in Scotland and we'll get to live together.. I'm also planning to do the spouse visa so that I can move there just a few months after I come home. It's really hard not being able to see him after so long. Nearly a year and a half is unbearable. I always try to send cards to him that way I can do it every couple of weeks...makes me feel like the time is going by faster.
                        I just wanted to say that I lived in Scotland for four years (in Edinburgh, though, not Glasgow), so if you have any questions about what it'll be like living there that you haven't asked your husband, I'd be more than happy to help out

In general I wanted to say, I clicked on this thread expecting to feel somewhat disheartened. Most of my friends in relationships have quite proximal relationships, and as much as I want to be understanding, it is hard to sympathise with someone missing their boyfriend after a week where they've both been busy when I wait six months between three week visits. I have just joined this community in the hope of finding support from like-minded people and BOOM it's happened.

Seeing others who are in the same position in me, and moreover seeing others who would love to have as much time with their partner as I have had, has already helped me. So thanks, vanillatwilight09, for starting this thread, and thanks everyone who's commented!

Comment

My fiance and I usually see each other every 3 or 4 months. When he comes to visit me, he's here for 2 weeks. Whenever I go to England, it's usually for a lot longer. Right now is the longest we've been apart: 6 months. He'll be here in just over a week though! I'm so excited!
                          "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                          Made it official: September 17, 2010
                          Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                          Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                          Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                          Got married: November 21, 2012
                          Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                          Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Princessmeg, I envy you because you have such short time left before you see your SO again! I'm happy for you though. Hopefully, this will be the longest that you two will ever have to be apart.
                            sigpic

Comment

We see each other for 6 months out of every calendar year I know we're super lucky, but its all work 6 months spend what youve saved 6 months... so I guess It could be worse. But it does get harder getting a good job with that kind of record. Worth it tho... everything is worth having him. AAnd it'll be over in march nxt year... Im counting dwn the days, as Im sure we all are.

Comment

We see each other every 4 month. But it so hard because he is only entitled to get 10 days off a year. I on the other hand have 25.

Comment

Working...
                                X