Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asked her to be my girlfriend

Brief background:
    We started messaging on a dating site back in January. We stopped messaging in the beginning of February, and then reconnected in March. We emailed for a while and then talked on the phone. I asked her out on a date the first time I talked to her on the phone. We've had 4 dates and talk on the phone regularly between dates. We've talked a great deal about taking things slow.

Last night while we were on the phone, I told her that my dog had a piece of paper folded up and that he scribbled something down. I told her there were check boxes, and that the note looked like something a second grader wrote. Then I said I would read the note to her. I told her the note said, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

She said that my dog was charming and she answered yes.

My plan is to keep taking things slow and to continue dating and continue to get to know each other. I look forward to talking to her and really like the time we share together when we're able to spend time together. I don't want to jump into an insta-relationship. I really like the pace of going slow and learning more and more about her. Yay for having a canine wingman.

Awwww now she's dating your dog :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Yes, it appears that she's dating my dog.

Comment

Nice touch using the dog. I mean how could she say no to that? So cute.

Comment

We talked on the phone last night and she said again that it was romantic and charming We also talked some about what being girlfriends means to each of us. For us, for now, it means that we are exclusively dating each other. It does NOT mean that we have an insta-relationship. So we're going to hang out in that place of getting to know each other and learning more about each other. I am quite happy with that

I said in a very serious voice that being girlfriends also means that we must wear matching airbrushed shirts everywhere we go.

There was silence on the phone... Finally I said, "I'M JOKING!"

hahahaha

See, this is why we're take time to get to know each other.

She said she would wear the shirt only once, and then retire the shirt. Then asked me to never give her an airbrushed shirt, even as a joke. I happily agreed to her request.

Comment

Cute touch using the dog lol. That was such an adorable way to ask her out

Comment

I'll see her in person tomorrow night. She has said a couple of times that she wishes she could reach through the phone and check the 'yes' box on the paper. I intend to have the paper sitting on the bar at the house and she'll have the option to check the 'yes' box if she so chooses to. She said that when she was in grade school that she never got one of those notes. So I'm really glad to have such a creative dog

Comment

Such a cute idea using your dog.

Comment

This weekend's visit was great. We had a date Saturday night. We went to eat, then to a dance performance, then to fondue dessert. Before she left Sunday she checked the 'yes' box in person.

After she left, I wrote a letter. I went to the USPS website and got an estimate of when it should arrive to her and the estimate is Thursday. :/ Tomorrow makes 1 month from our first date so I ordered her some flowers that should be delivered to her house tomorrow.
                  Last edited by hmrambling; April 20, 2015, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I learned all sorts of things about her last night after she received the flowers. She has never received flowers from a SO before. I like that we talk as much as we do and that we learn so much about each other. I told her that the flowers were from Mr Smiles and from me. The flowers were his idea. :P I think she liked the message more than she liked the flowers. A letter follows the flowers that she'll be getting soon. I'm hoping that if she likes the note that she really likes the letter.

Comment

This post has kind of become a journal of our journey together.

Last night, she reported that the flowers are still alive and that the roses look good.

I am having to consciously remind myself that we agreed that we will not be jumping into an 'insta-relationship'. I find myself really wanting to tell her that I love her. The angst is huge before we get off the phone. Instead, I close with "sweet dreams and good night."

So, to remind myself, I'm going to make a timeline of what's going on here. It might help to see it in black and white.

Messaged on match - 1/21/15 to 2/1/15. I was looking forward to hearing from her every day... and then I vanished after she asked to meet me.
                      Messaged on match - 3/10/15. I apologized for vanishing. We exchanged emails.
                      Emailed 3/15/15 - 3/18/15
                      Talked on phone - 3/19/15. I asked her out.
                      3/21/15 - dinner date @ Chinese restaurant
                      3/29/15 - brunch date, mandala coloring, and dinner
                      4/5/15 - sushi, hanging out at rooftop terrace, live band performance
                      4/12/15 - hanging out at her house & dinner in her town
                      4/15/15 - asked her to be my girlfriend -> on the phone, not in person
                      4/18/15 - local historic restaurant, dance performance, fondue
                      4/25/15 - chilled out on porch swing, Chinese buffet, hung out at my house
                      5/2/15 - plans to go out in the city near her

We've been talking nightly since 3/21/15. I really feel bonded and I feel like I know her pretty well. I care deeply for her. I don't want to rush things. Looking over this timeline, it really has been just over a month since our first date. I am going to breathe and take it easy. I'm going to appreciate what we have and not rush things. I'll remind myself that I'm not here to have an insta-relationship.

Exhale.

Comment

Your posts are lovely to read.

I met my SO online at a time when I wasn't really looking for someone forever and definitely not a LDR. Almost instantly we both knew that we wanted forever (although we didn't tell each other until after we met) and meeting up after 6 months of messaging confirmed that. Thankfully the distance forces us to take it slowly (it would be completely different if we were living close to each other hehe). Enjoy your journey and good luck to you both.

Comment

5/2/15 - dinner in a city neighboring hers, walk by the lake, saw the school where she teaches

We talked a great deal. She shared that it feels like we've been together 4-5 months, maybe because we began talking in January. We took a break and then when we started talking again, we talked daily about a number of things (and still do). We've been pretty open and shared a lot about ourselves. We're making plans for a 3 day weekend together. We'll be celebrating her birthday, and it will be 2 months that we've actually been dating face to face. I'm excited about the 3 day weekend together. I look forward to visiting a city that she feels so strongly about. She's passionate about the arts.

I told her I love her. I really felt compelled to tell her how I feel. She said she loves me, too.

Regarding wanting forever... I really have to take things one day at a time - I don't want to get ahead of myself. I always look forward to seeing her and talking to her. When we're together I never really want to leave, or want her to leave. But I feel like I need to practice some restraint regarding managing time when it is time for one of us to leave. I don't want to appear clingy or needy. I want to be someone who can manage time and have some boundaries. So, as hard as it is, I will need to wrap up phone calls earlier and leave earlier, and be okay with her leaving earlier. It's so hard to watch her go sometimes. But I don't want late nights to spill over into affecting work. That's no good.

I'll need to give it time. It will all be alright.

Comment

5/9/15 - dinner in her city, then dessert: cheesecake!

We're getting along good and have plenty of conversation. I gave her a clarinet bell pen/pencil holder and a mother's day card from her dogs. She was really surprised by both. My dog is having some sort of issue visiting her house. He messed in her house. We'll work on that. When we got back to my house, he was his normal self. She is planning to visit me in my city next weekend and go to church with me. I'm excited about her meeting people in church

We have a big weekend planned the weekend after next. We're going to the city for her birthday. It will also be 2 months that we've been dating face to face

Comment

That's great hmrambling!! You deserve someone who treats you well!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                              Married April 18th, 2015!!
                              Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Working...
                              X